Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  09:06:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi new to the site
Just a few questions

My son wants a corn snake for xmas (i am petrified of them) he has always loved them so this year decided to get him one
What do i need from the tank to plants etc
I do not want to buy all expensive stuff just something that looks nice and safe for both my son(12) and snake does anyone know of any reputable breeders, would like a baby snake.
thanx

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  09:19:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
this link is ideal for knowing what to buy.. http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

if you have any questions feel free to ask - no question is deemed silly or unimportant

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  09:25:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the site, you should pop over to introductions aswell.

On the stickies bit there is alot of helpful advice about what you need for your snake, but here are the basics for a hatchling- Make sure and read the caresheet to about general keeping of corns.

A faunarium or Really Useful box/RUB (about 12litre model should be fine)!!remember to put airholes in!!
A heatmat
A thermostat for the heatmat
2 hides, one at each end of the faun or RUB (toilet rolls, small cardboard boxes etc are fine)
Ideally 2 digital thermometers for measuring temps
Water dish (a small ceramic dog or cat dish is fine)
Substrate- newspaper is free and fine for hatchlings, though you can also use aspen, beech chippings, shredded paper etc.
Some sort of decoration to fill the space in the RUB to make the hatchling feel secure- poundland do decent plastic plants.

Bear in mind than corns can reach 5 foot within 4-5 years, and so will need its housing changed as it grows. Biggest vivarium you will need should be 3-4 foot long.

Cant help you with any breeders, but if you specify where your'e from someone else may be able to.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  09:50:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi and welcome to the forum

I recommend this website for snake-related shopping:

http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/

It was recommended to me right here in the forum and my experience with them has been excellent.

Btw, as far as I know, Xmas is a bit out of season when it comes to baby snakes, but keep your eyes and ears open and check the boards here.

Your son can post here too if he wants. My 14 years old son and I post on the same user, and when he does he just lets everyone here know it's him talking rather than myself.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  18:19:58  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
where abouts are you? there are breeders all over the country so shouldn't be too hard to find someone reputable for you.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  20:11:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi thanx for the replies i am in newcastle.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  20:51:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome linuk09. My 12yr old son worked for his dad on site during the holidays...and having heard his dad and I talk about getting a snake for years he worked out that he had earned enough money to buy himself a snake. We decided we had better do something about it before he came home with a boa! So we did our research and found Kellog.
So glad you are thinking ahead and asking all the right questions, too often people just walk into a pet shop and walk out with a pet they know nothing about. You have found a great forum here, with experienced owners happy to share their advice and support....and no question is regarded as silly - it is best asked and answered. You will also find fun and friendship are bonuses on here! You will find other sites and forums with conflicting advice, and that even happens on here very occassionally....but what is great is that on here different opinions can be aired and discussed calmly and rationally. Then it is up to the snake owner to make their own decision....because at the end of the day they are our responsibility and we can only go by the best advice we can get - which is from this forum!
xxx

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  20:57:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you know what morph (colour) your son is wanting? get thinking now as there are a lot to choose from!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  21:05:19  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The nearest to Newcastle I know of is in Stanley, Co. Durham - he breeds some really nice corns and has an excellent reputation. His site is: http://www.snakebreeder.co.uk/ - its not been updated for a while, but gives some idea of the morphs he breeds and has contact details there too :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  07:07:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again he rather have a black and white one (dont think it has anything to do with coming from newcastle) but if he cant have that he is not bothered what colour as long as he has his snake. Stanley is not too far away from from me.
Is there any difference between a male and female like one being more friendly than the other?
Is it best too get a snake from being a baby or maybe a few months old, as formely said it might be hard to get a baby at this time of year
thank you for previous replies
lin
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  07:46:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tbh theres not much difference between the tempraments of males and females.. biologically there can be a few issues with females but I dont think they happen very often.. if you breed then she can become egg bound - think Matty knows more about it - and it can be expensive and dangerous to fix.. also they can lay eggs when they havent been mated but again im not too sure on if its common or not..
but like i said this doesnt happen with every female - just the unlucky ones..

also unless you get a lavender there are no colour differences between the sexes

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  09:51:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding getting a baby as opposed to a snake that is a few months old or an adult, I would certainly go for the older snakes than the baby. That way you can be sure that the snake is a proven feeder and shedder....and try to make sure you get confirmation of that. With babies (hatchlings) there is always the risk of having a non-feeder, which is very difficult to deal with practically and emotionally. I think it is better to be a more experienced owner before taking on a hatchling.

I am sure others may disagree with me, but I got Kellog as an adult and it has been a fantastic experience. He is nearly 4 and a half yrs old and although we had a feeding problem when we first got him (which was to do with him being in a mating state) it was less worrying because he was an adult. I would certainly want to take on a snake that I knew had fed and shed. I do plan on getting a baby eventually because I would love to watch one grow to the size Kellog is...I do feel I missed out on that part. But by the time I do that I will be more experienced to handle it. Hope that helps in your decision.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  18:00:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a newbie too - I've had Twilight for five weeks and he was two months old when we got him. I don't know if it's just luck but I've had absolutely no problems with him. He is confident and an excellent feeder and its lovely that he's little as it means he grows really fast and is shedding every three weeks which is really fun to watch.

One thing I would encourage is to take your time choosing the snake you want and researching where to get it from. Make sure you get to handle it first so you can see if it feels strong and lively and what its personality is like. Also, be just as concerned with the person you buy the snake from as you are with the snake itself. They should have lots of knowledge and sound like they care for the welfare of the snake. They should be able to answer all your questions - especially ones like when did they last eat/shed etc because they should be keeping good records. I got mine from a breeder who asked me as many questions as I asked her to ensure I knew what I was doing before she sold him to me. She also asked me to call her after he had his first feed with me so she would know he was OK. I took that as a very good sign. Be wary of anyone who offers you a snake with a kink or with difficulties feeding. Sometimes they will offer them at a lower price but a good seller will not offer them to an inexperienced owner.

Good luck in your search. As you can see from my pics, I have a 'black and white one'. Anerys all the way for me...

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  18:21:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by linuk09

Hi again he rather have a black and white one (dont think it has anything to do with coming from newcastle) but if he cant have that he is not bothered what colour as long as he has his snake. Stanley is not too far away from from me.
Is there any difference between a male and female like one being more friendly than the other?
Is it best too get a snake from being a baby or maybe a few months old, as formely said it might be hard to get a baby at this time of year
thank you for previous replies
lin

As Twilight has shown, an anery may be the closest you will get to black and white.

I have a male and a female (7 and 3 years old respectively) and they are both as easy as each other to handle, feed and care for. As Hannah said, females can have their little issues if they are bred to (same as all women) but if the correct precautions are taken then this is rare.

Females can lay eggs without being mated, or sometimes a long time after being mated but this also isnt common.

My male was bought as a hatchling, so he was cute and I could watch him grow, but my female I have only had for about 3-4 months, so she is bigger, easier to handle and can be handled for longer.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2009 :  19:21:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
As Hannah said, females can have their little issues if they are bred to (same as all women)

Hey, I take offence at ..... oh wait, you're right!!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

61 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2009 :  20:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome. well done for thinking ahead and asking questions sooner rather than later to be prepared, My wife works in a pet shop and the other day someone had a bought a corn from some were and then asked questions in a pet shop that doesnt sell reptiles about general corn keeping luckly my wife gave here some advice.

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2009 :  20:45:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi thanx for all the replies, i am taking everything i have read on board and will definately ask the questions when i go to a breeder. it will be my son handling it not me,and will have everything ready for it before i even get it..
Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2009 :  22:50:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
it will be my son handling it not me

That's what you say now but just you wait, I bet little snakey will soon charm you. My mum said she wouldn't visit if we got a snake but actually she thinks he's gorgous now we've got him. She's even had a stroke (of the snake that is).

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2009 :  22:59:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mum was ok about us having a snake as long as it stayed in viv - she has now had him on her lap and sliding over her shoulder! xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  07:54:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well i dont know about holding it i might touch it with my finger tips...but i will never say never. He is now in a dilemma about a corn snake and a ball python snake,( i think thats the one) Sorry to all you snake lovers out there but to me a snake is a snake so i do not know the difference, and i have been reading up on corn snakes and have a slight knowledge of how to look after it, any difference in the 2 breeds?
thank you
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  11:15:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My only advice is that from what I know corn snakes are definitely the easiest and best snake for a first time owner. Dont know anything about ball pythons but am sure someone who does will be able to give you some more information.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000