New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  16:18:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After a wonderful sleep, where I dreampt of unicorns and rainbows, I woke up to a wonderful, peaceful morning. All was well.............................or was it........................

DUN DUN DUUUUNNNNNN

I have no idea how and no idea why spaghetti got her paper out from under the bowl and into the bowl.......any ideas?

Also as a little side question, it's feeding time for spaghetti soon - how long does a pinky take to defrost at room temp?

zan x

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  17:01:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh god, its been years since I defrosted a pinkie... maybe 20 minutes, half an a hour? the paper probably just fell in there during a bit of redecorating!

spaghetti is gorgeous btw!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  17:05:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thankyou! I think she's awesome! Her colours are so bright! And mamas so proud, spaghetti ate not one, but two pinkies! And a pinkie foot that fell in from another!

(sorry about the rubbish pics, was being fed in a (nice and clean) bin!)

NOM NOM NOM!

zan x
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  17:10:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how old is she?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  17:39:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I let the pinkies defrost for two, sometimes three hours, and even then I check to see they're not cold and if needed I dip them (inside a sandwich bag) in warm water prior to offering.

Btw, is that her regular set up I see in the first pic? If so, she needs two hides rather then one (one for warm end one for cool end) and three of the "walls" should be covered so that she feels more secure. If that's her normal set up then she may have tried to make herself more comfortable/secure by trying to go under the paper.

Anyway, she's absolutely gorgeous!

Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  17:47:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she's 3 months old, she usually has 2 hides and a little mound of paper to hide under as well, I thought that as they burrow in the wild she might enjoy curling round some paper as well as sitting in the hide. I usually have 2 little hides but she keeps on tipping her water bowl over, or as last night, tipping the paper into the bowl so I keep on running out of dry tubes lol! Her viv. sits under a low chair, so light only comes in from one side, she seems happiest under there.

I get her out onto my desk for 15 mins every now and again and she's always playing peek-a-boo from behind the bowl/under the paper/inside the tube - she's so curious!
Go to Top of Page

Mnementh
Yearling

United Kingdom
537 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  17:56:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful stripe :)

I wonder if its a genetic thing with Amels , our little one is always out , every single day , even after food , proper nosey . Only time we don't see her she will be in bblue phase ready to shed :)

One last jump , that's all we have to take Holth .
Wearily the old queen gathered heself to spring ;
Moreta gratefully began her litany .
Black , blacker , blackest -
They went between .
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  18:07:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zandefloss

she's 3 months old, she usually has 2 hides and a little mound of paper to hide under as well, I thought that as they burrow in the wild she might enjoy curling round some paper as well as sitting in the hide. I usually have 2 little hides but she keeps on tipping her water bowl over, or as last night, tipping the paper into the bowl so I keep on running out of dry tubes lol! Her viv. sits under a low chair, so light only comes in from one side, she seems happiest under there.

I get her out onto my desk for 15 mins every now and again and she's always playing peek-a-boo from behind the bowl/under the paper/inside the tube - she's so curious!

Lol, she's not only curious, she's strong! You may need a heavier water bowl. I also think you may need to start using a different substrate to stop her preparing her papier purée Shredded or aspen, perhaps?

It's so amusing to see what snakes get up to....especially when it happens to someone else!

Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  18:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be a shame to change from the layers of paper sheets because she seems to like burrowing and slithering round the layers, I'll probably try a different bowl, a ceramic one that's a bit higher and heavier - the other day she ignored her usual hidey spots and decided to burrow under the bowl! It is true, she's always out and about, I see her all the time peeking out and when I turn the lights on to go to get a drink in the night she's always stretched out trying to escape or curling up in the lid (I dont know how, I think she's anti gravity!) Right now she's happily digesting her food laid on top of everything - not trying to hide at all!

Does anyone else provide a fair depth of substrate to burrow in? I'm wondering if using a few inches of shredded paper would be nice for my snake

zan x
Go to Top of Page

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  18:50:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We use the aspen bedding as it's quite fine and they can burrow easily. We never see them anymore, always burrowing!

Kizzig

Our ever growing menagerie:

1.0.0 Amel cornsnake (Ziggy)
0.1.0 Amel motley cornsnake (Kizzy)
1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
0.1.0 Chile Rose Tarantula (Daisy) RIP Double D, We'll miss you... xxx
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)
1.1.0 Red Eared Sliders (Sam 'n' Ella)
Assorted Fish - Harry, Artie, Kev and Ebi.

RIP Georgina the Housegecko , Archie the Angelfish (17/09/09), and Daisy the Chile Rose Tarantula (19/11/2009)

Our Animal's Album: http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/klivingston234/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  18:56:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It would be a shame to change from the layers of paper sheets because she seems to like burrowing and slithering round the layers, I'll probably try a different bowl, a ceramic one that's a bit higher and heavier - the other day she ignored her usual hidey spots and decided to burrow under the bowl! It is true, she's always out and about, I see her all the time peeking out and when I turn the lights on to go to get a drink in the night she's always stretched out trying to escape or curling up in the lid (I dont know how, I think she's anti gravity!) Right now she's happily digesting her food laid on top of everything - not trying to hide at all!

Does anyone else provide a fair depth of substrate to burrow in? I'm wondering if using a few inches of shredded paper would be nice for my snake

zan x

She's entertaining, no doubt! And yes, she's definitely anti gravity and shares the secret with our snakes, the other day Stella surprised me when she dropped right down from the top. I'd been looking for her but was directing my gaze to the bottom of her viv, and she suddenly free-fell...

Yes, shredded paper would be nice for your snake.

Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  23:28:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye

quote:

zan x

She's entertaining, no doubt! And yes, she's definitely anti gravity and shares the secret with our snakes, the other day Stella surprised me when she dropped right down from the top. I'd been looking for her but was directing my gaze to the bottom of her viv, and she suddenly free-fell...

Yes, shredded paper would be nice for your snake.

It's crazy, the second day I thought I'd lost her, picked up her viv. to peek under the paper, looked at the box to see how she had escaped. Was just competely purplexed! I even shook the box a tiny bit to see if any holes appeared, then she popped her head down from the lid with a look of "do you mind?!!!, I'm anti-gravity here!" now I always check the lid too!
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  03:28:23  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
haha, yer my hatchlins r a bit like that spec lil pippa...she is xcatly the same....but now she has 2 friends 2 play wit n then u c 3 hatchlins on the lid....n ov course eventualy u ere a thud....yup all 3 or at least 2 have fallen lol....n then they cuddle up....lookin inocent lol....
bt thats a v nyc snakie u got ther tho....lol i want 1 hehe.....so can i???? plz????
xx
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  09:56:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hahahahaaaaa! Yesssss... The "top hat" trick, snake version!

Btw, about hides: instead of toilet rolls, how about small plant pots? They're really cheap and all you need is a pair of scissors to cut an opening. Then, even if she decides it's time to give her faun another good watering, all you need to do is wipe them dry.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  10:00:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazy JJ

haha, yer my hatchlins r a bit like that spec lil pippa...she is xcatly the same....but now she has 2 friends 2 play wit n then u c 3 hatchlins on the lid....n ov course eventualy u ere a thud....yup all 3 or at least 2 have fallen lol....n then they cuddle up....lookin inocent lol....
bt thats a v nyc snakie u got ther tho....lol i want 1 hehe.....so can i???? plz????
xx

Do you co-habit your three then? It may be worth reading the thread on co-habiting, weigh up the pros and cons.

Young snakes can eat each other, and the cuddling is actually them all just compteting for the best spot in the viv.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  14:56:55  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i know..not many ppl like puttin snakes 2 gether but iv got 3 2geva atm n the ova 7 hatchlins r seperate..but i have 4 different hides in there... well... in a wierd kinda way...the snakes r all the same size n they seem fine 2geva.
but they do get seperated wen feedin tho...obv...don't want any disasters... :(
but those 3 wont stay 2geva long!!
xx
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  18:30:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazy JJ

i know..not many ppl like puttin snakes 2 gether but iv got 3 2geva atm n the ova 7 hatchlins r seperate..but i have 4 different hides in there... well... in a wierd kinda way...the snakes r all the same size n they seem fine 2geva.
but they do get seperated wen feedin tho...obv...don't want any disasters... :(
but those 3 wont stay 2geva long!!
xx

Cool, I was just wondering! You wouldnt want to end up with 1 very fat snake

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  03:00:39  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
nooooooo waaaay lol.....na dont woz they get cheked like every 5secs haha...spec at first but they seem fyn...its the cas of wu can stay on the lid 4 longest haha....then a gr8 bit thud haha!!!
but don't woz i apreciate ur concern..i know u guys only want the best 4 the snake but i wudnt do anythin completly stupid....all i do is give m loads of tlc, love....n i supos most imortant 4 them heat, water n food lol hehe :)
xx
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000