New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nuttyasha
Egg

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  08:26:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, just wondering about Boicie's strange ways. He is always hiding in one of his hides whether it be the warm or cool side or burrowed under his substrate. All our others come out and roam about at least a few times a day. Is this normal?
i thought it might have been the temperatures but they are all fine.

Also he has been blue for a few days now and doesn't seem to have left his hide in the cool part of his viv, I'm worried that he hasn't been out to drink, as neither my partner or myself have seen him leave his hide.

Shall i leave him be or what I am not totally sure of what to do

Sorry if i sound really stupid, just he never used to hide all the time it's only since we moved house 4 months ago, i thought it was just him settling in and he would get back to his normal self. This obviously hasn't been the case.

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  09:45:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he has been blue it sounds like he is coming up to a shed, so once he has done that he may return to his normal pattern....although a lot of snakes change their normal routine just to keep us worried. Kellog changed from being out most of the time to hiding in his his cave permanently to finally coming out but spending his time either in his cave or under the substrate either with his head poking out or totally buried so you think he has escaped! I do wonder whether the change in the seasons has something to do with it. That is my newbie opinion but I am sure that 'Those that Know' will echo what I have said *she says hopefully*! xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  10:13:26  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
they're very secretive when in blue so it's nothing really to worry about. if he's constantly in the cool end hide for several days it might be worth just gently disturbing him to encourage him to move into the warm end. i've found that sometimes when they get cold for any length of time they can sometimes appear to lose the will to move and find the warm spot!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  12:10:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony
i've found that sometimes when they get cold for any length of time they can sometimes appear to lose the will to move and find the warm spot!

Goodness, I wonder if that's why Shen seems to be so quiet? Recently he's always in his favourite spot in the cool end, one of his hides there. What with him being a non-eater I'm extra sensitive to him. Might go and plead with him to gracefully slide warm-side, then.

Go to Top of Page

Nuttyasha
Egg

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  12:52:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you for the advice, he has shed twice since he has been acting this way. I'm sure he's just trying to worry me on purpose. He does seem to have been in his cold part for a few days now i might just go and help him a bit :)

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  13:07:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mushu has just spent the best part of a week in the cold side, took her out to be handled and when I put her back in, she shot straight back under her water bowl. lol at least I tried. I'm sure Boycie is perfectly fine.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  03:09:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kellog was spending all his time in his hide since 'the mites incident'. Hide is in cold end (yes, I know I should have 2 hides so no lectures please). Moved it to warm end and that has encouraged him out. He now spends time either in hide or under substrate in cool end. At moment he is curled up in cold end on top of substrate (it is 3 in morning!) Definitely think moving him to warm end encouraged him out and about. xxx

Go to Top of Page

Nuttyasha
Egg

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  07:09:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before going back to work yesterday afternoon I tried to encourage Boicie into his warm end but he was having none of it (stubborn little so and so), he certainly lives up to his name sake. So I removed his hide from tha end of the viv, as I didn't want to hassle him to much what with him being blue. This seemed to have an effect as by the time my partner had com in from work a couple of hours later he was in his warm hide.
Thank you for the advice everyone. Fingers crossed he will go back to his old self after shedding.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000