Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  20:17:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd echo everyone else's comments of just talking to him calmly. My main experience of persuading parents was convincing them to let me get piercings, and the "my body" rule (similar to the "my room" argument) has a very limited life span, far better is proving that you know what you're getting into and are willing to accept all responsibilities. The idea of looking after a friend's snake for a while sounds like a fantastic suggestion to me.

At the end of the day though sometimes you just have to wait it sucks I know, but it took me till I was 15 to be allowed the rats I wanted for years (mum doesn't like rodents with long tails cos the tails make her think of snakes) and at 20 still don't have a snake!
There are some things that parents just won't budge on

Own house now though, I will have one soon!

Edited by - n/a on 27/10/2009 20:18:58
Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  21:11:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long have you been talking about wanting a snake for? Sometimes we parents need time to be sure it's not just a passing phase and we're going to get left looking after the 'thing'. Like Kellog said, showing that you have fully researched all the necessary info including ongoing costs (Dads in particular can be very practical I've found) might really help him to see you are maturing and willing and able to take responsibility for your animal.

A few months of working, doing well at college and paying towards your financial support will really help him to see you are not so little anymore and can be trusted with things. I appreciate it must be VERY frustrating but you've been his child for a very long time and it takes a while for a parent to get their head around the fact that things have changed.

I really would counsel against using the - 'I'm paying for this room so I can do what I like' line. I see paying 'keep' to parents as a sign of respect and a stepping stone to full independence but it is usually not the same as fully paying your own way in the world. If you had to pay the full cost of private rent I doubt you would be able to feed yourself whilst at college and working part time, let alone a snake too. Your Dad is enabling you to do at least the first part of this.

I really hope your Dad does come around soon. I always wanted a dog but was never allowed one. I no longer have a Dad to try to convince but I now have a husband who would never say yes to a dog either! Thankfully reptiles are MUCH better and he seems really keen on them - particularly snakes (Yay for me).

Good luck

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

608 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  22:32:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have wanted a snake for many years since i was 10 to be exact. Started researching at 13/14 and i'm 17 in 4 weeks soo it's not a passing phase lol

1.1.0 Dog
2.1.0 Cat
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
R.I.P WINNIE 7.7.08 - 29.8.09
0.1.0 Bearded Dragon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  22:48:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Techno, this must be so frustrating for you. I cant begin to imagine it, especially as you have wanted it for so long and have obviously done your research so you know exactly what you are getting yourself into. Wish all new snake owners did that!

To quote Hillzi - Kellog! Thought you said we don't force opinions on people?!

We dont force opinions on to people, we just offer advice and I am trying to do that from the perspective of being both a parent and a snake lover (who is desperate to get another one but cant, so in a slightly similar position...just one snake ahead of you!). The problem is you do live with your dad, you need to get on with him and you need to earn his respect. Sammysnake put it very well....show him how responsible you are by working hard, helping out at home, being on time with money etc...and not asking about getting a snake every few days. Show him you are grown up and not his little boy anymore and he will come to respect you. Then you might be able to start dropping a few hints (subtly) and see how it goes.
If I was your parent I would let you get your snake tomorrow - as long as you paid for it all!! xxx

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  23:34:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooh, I see now.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly