Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

608 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  12:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right I have been saving up my EMA from college and I currently have enough to buy a snake, setup and things, As most of you know i have been waiting ALONG TIME but my dad has started to make me pay board so i'm basically renting a room so if i buy a snake i don't think i am doing anything wrong as it will be going in MY room that I am paying to stay in.
HELP ME !!! LOL

1.1.0 Dog
2.1.0 Cat
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
R.I.P WINNIE 7.7.08 - 29.8.09
0.1.0 Bearded Dragon

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  13:49:19  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Have you tried saying that to yor dad? If i rember right did you mum not say you could have one?
Have you asked your day why he wont let you get a snake? Maybe he has his reasons and it can be worked around?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  15:18:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your paying board...technically your in rented accommodation, and most landlords (your dad) in this case have rules that you must abide by. You may find an extra effort from you in doing extra jobs around the house, and prove to him you are responsible enough to care for this snake on your own... may help you persuade him to let you keep one. I can understand you dads concerns as your still very young, he may be thinking towards the future, when you move on with your life and move out of your parents house, and may think he will be left with a pet they don't want
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  15:54:03  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Even if his dad says 'no pets', then there is actually nothing stopping him. Even if his dad was acting like a landlord.

Reptiles do not fall under the same classification as other pets when it comes to tenant rules.
The 'no pet' rule is only used for animal that could damage the interior/exterior of the property, or cause undue noise or mess that would affect the surrounding properties.

But it's up to you how you want to do it, remember that at the end of the day you'll always get the 'my house, my rules' phrasing.
Talk to him and see what his biggest issue is, I remember when you first came on here to research about having a snake, surely the fact that you're still interested will show him you're serious.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

608 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  16:16:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks people
Also i now have a JOB =]
Argos just rang and my Interview was succesful and i have my Induction Training on the 29th October.
I'm gonna talk to my dad about it

1.1.0 Dog
2.1.0 Cat
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
0.1.0 Bearded Dragon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  16:51:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr
at the end of the day you'll always get the 'my house, my rules' phrasing.

This phrase still annoys me even though I'm realllly far from my teen years.

Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  17:23:09  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
just speak to your dad as an adult. i know it sounds daft but if you kick off anout it it just makes things worse. if you speak your mind without losing it im sure you will be succesful
Go to Top of Page

inkiepixie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
445 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  20:45:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye
This phrase still annoys me even though I'm realllly far from my teen years.

It's great when you can say it to your own parents though

0.0.1 classic: Bellatrix
0.1.0 anery (het amel): Luna
1.0.0 hypo lavender (het amel ph stripe): Orion
1.1.0 kittycats: George and Pixie
1.0.0 hound: Shadow
1.0.0 husband: Louis

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

299 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  21:32:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hope it goes well for my dad was the same

1.0.0 bci rocky
0.1.0 bci twix
0.1.0 silver queen
1.0.0 anery beetlejuice
0.1.0 snow motley snowdrop
0.1.0 holly (caviler king charles)
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  22:17:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
got my fingers crossed for you.. im starting to pay board in january so will definately be using the 'im paying you for this room so i will put what ever pets i want in it' rule a lot!!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  12:03:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good luck, I'm 21 and my dad point blank refuses to let me have another snake- and when I ask him why, he says "because I said so." INFURIATING.

The other day I asked him if I could buy a 3 foot x 2 foot box for my room. He didnt seem to mind. I then went on to ask what the difference was between that box having say, clothes in it, and the box having a snake in it. He went nuts.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  22:41:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SB - that was sneaky of you...no wonder your dad hit the roof!

TechnoMacleod - try showing your dad how much research you have done into this, that you understand the responsibility you are taking on and that you can handle it financially. Almost like setting out a business plan. Then ask him, calmly, what his reasons for saying no are and again, calmly, try and answer them. But I do hate to say it...at the end of the day, although you are paying rent, you are still under his roof and you need to respect that. I speak as a parent and as a snake lover.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  22:56:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ha ha, I am very sneaky...

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  23:07:44  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

...The other day I asked him if I could buy a 3 foot x 2 foot box for my room. He didnt seem to mind. I then went on to ask what the difference was between that box having say, clothes in it, and the box having a snake in it. He went nuts.

I used that with the missus in regards the purchase of a viv stack.
We had a Viv on top of an old unit, I wanted another viv. What difference is it if it's a viv, or a unit?

If something is gonna take up the same space, then does it matter, o long as the peron wanting it is completely responsible for it's welfare.

As Brookestar said, talking to him as an equal is sometimes better.

Do you know anyone that has a snake that lives close to you?

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  23:12:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

...The other day I asked him if I could buy a 3 foot x 2 foot box for my room. He didnt seem to mind. I then went on to ask what the difference was between that box having say, clothes in it, and the box having a snake in it. He went nuts.

I used that with the missus in regards the purchase of a viv stack.
We had a Viv on top of an old unit, I wanted another viv. What difference is it if it's a viv, or a unit?

If something is gonna take up the same space, then does it matter, o long as the peron wanting it is completely responsible for it's welfare.

As Brookestar said, talking to him as an equal is sometimes better.

Do you know anyone that has a snake that lives close to you?

my Dad aint an equal, when I mention a new snake he turns into a big angry gorilla- its terrifying. Its like hes a kid and I'm the adult- he shouts and screams and I talk normally.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  04:02:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is he scared of snakes? Would he react the same if you suggested another sort of pet? xxx

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  05:25:45  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There is a perfectly acceptable and valid reason for asking about friends with snakes.

It's not that hard to 'look after' a friends pet when they go away for a week or 2.

When your mate has taken the snake back, it also gives a small amount of time for parents to reflect on 'it wasn't actually that bad' and the 'I don't like them, but they are nice if I don't have to touch them' scenario that most parents get.

My dad was born and bred in India, so his opinion of a snake in the house was MUCH different to mine, yet he wouldn't allow it at first. It was only when I looked after a mates snake for a week that he caved in shortly afterwards.

Don't get me wrong, it was still a small battle, but I got one in the end.
Have you tried to drag him into a rep shop yet? If you let him know that you just want to look at them, nothing more then he may go with you. And visiting a rep shop is the worst thing you can do, because you ALWAYS end up walking out wanting more than when you went in.
Or have quick hunt about in local rep shops for Collared Lizards, and take your mum first. For some reason when women find out these things don't grow much bigger than 4 inches (nose to vent) max they always find them 'cuter'.
That is the key point. Get mum to notice how cute they are, then dad to think about how it wasn't that bad when you had your mates one for a week when he 'was on holiday', then you'll end up getting your snake.

Either that or just randomly ask how they'll feel about being grandparents in about '3'months. If they hit the roof, you'll be able to get the snake. If they're excited then I deny all knowledge of this post and you're on you own.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

608 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  15:13:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ye 2 of my mates have snakes,
Not had a moment to ask him at the moment cos he's been at work,
He has held snakes and he's fine with them so i don't know what the reasons he has for not allowing me to have one =[

1.1.0 Dog
2.1.0 Cat
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
0.1.0 Bearded Dragon

Go to Top of Page

Karl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
121 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  22:23:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bah, buy viv, put new snake in viv, don't tell Dad, problem solved.

Wife only just noticed I have 5 snakes the other day, she thought I had 3 lol.

Either that or do what I did, at 18 I moved out into my own flat, my flat my rules, and for some months one was a no parents rule ;)

ooops, I bought another.........
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  02:48:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont follow Karl's advice about just going ahead and getting one. Sounds like your relationship with your dad is tough enough without antagonising him. You need to try and work round him. Can you get your mum on your side, get her advice about his problem with you getting a snake? xxx

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  20:04:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Dont follow Karl's advice

Kellog! Thought you said we don't force opinions on people?!
I agree its not the subtlest way of going about a snake. I can't really say I had a battle, I was booted to get a snake LOL.

Step Mum said: "Your sisters getting a pet, why don't you look and see what you want?"

Me fifteen minutes later: "Is a snake okay?"

Step Mum: "Sure tom "

Love understanding parents.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000