handling a timid snake
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  00:25:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well weve had chip nearly 3 weeks. And dispite lettiing him settle in, not waking him ect he is still very very timid when I open his faun. The slightest touch and he's off!
The first 2 time I fed him I did so in the faun (putting paper over subtrate) the first time he struck from the tree and never left it till pinkie was gone, second Time he struck so fast I thought Id dropped the pinkie!! The last time I did got him into a rub but he didnt strike, after 10-15 mines he ate the pinkie.
Am I doing right? Id rather feed him in a rub, but not if it distresses him.

Chip 0.0.1
Kit 0.1.0 retired greyhound
1.0.0 rooster cogburn
0.0.1 X3 hens, Milly. Molly, Mandy

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  06:47:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you are doing everything right..some snakes do prefer to eat in their own environment so in chips case in his faun..
you just have to be patient and consistant with handling him..after feeding leave him for 2 days, then handle him for 5-10mins each day.. eventually he will settle down and realise that theres nothing to be afraid of..
try putting a small piece of clothing in the faun with him with your scent on..that way he will start to get used to your scent and should settle down a bit sooner

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  08:56:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same as HannahB said. It's just a matter of time.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  03:50:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with everything HannahB said....it is really a case of patience and a little at a time. 5 - 10 min every day, keeping as calm and slow moving as possible. Continue to change his water and fiddle with his substrate on days you cant handle him. He just needs to learn you are not a threat and at the moment you are this great giant hand coming to get him. He will learn...in time. xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000