New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  18:30:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darren, the owner of the Burm that ate Wilbur the cat has done a video interview (I think its with the owner of the site its hosted on?).

Its on here, sign up and watch both parts. http://www.petstreet.co.uk

Personaly, I think hes a responsible keeper that understands his animal. Its really unlucky that it has happened, but fair play to him for giving his side of things. He makes some good points in the video.

Edited by - matty18714 on 05/10/2009 18:33:32

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  23:11:33  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Cool! Should be interesting to watch tomorrow.
Cheers, Matty.

www.youtube.com/BlueTongueDan
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  23:34:35  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He is right in saying about the cat being in his garden but i think if your going to leave a burm in the garden and watch it from a window he should make the garden a bit more secure.I was under the impression the garden had very high fencing

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  00:33:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SKEN

im glad the cat got munched on, i feel sorry for darren tho, he's goin to look like the bad guy on his street for a while! its unlucky that the cat came in the garden while the snake was there BUT it would be the same if there was a big dog in the garden im sure a dog would of killed the cat and that would be much messier lol its just cos its a snake, and there not exactly the most popular pet, that the owners of the cat have started that stupid pertition

i hope darren and his snake get through this little episode

P.S .... meoww, GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE haha

To be perfectly honest, that is exactly the sort of attitude which is going to give snake keepers a bad name... and get these snakes put on the DWA list.

If the powers that be see that snake keepers are laughing at this it will just add fuel to the fire and give them a reason to control these big snakes.

As for your dog statement, absolute tosh. Not all dogs are cat aggressive, my dog as an example... she has never and will never hurt my cat, and believe me there have been times when my cat has deserved a quick nip. She also has NO interest in other peoples cats.

As for snakes, the same cannot be said for them. The video says it all, the big snake sees things as either a threat, no threat or food... and lets be honest, a cat will always be in the food section.

But hey, keep laughing and make it worse for big snake owners.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  04:11:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said Bioshock, my thoughts exactly. xxx

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  06:43:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont know where I sit on the fence with this one now.. whilst I do feel really sorry for the cat owners - no one wants to lose their pet like that, it's like Darren said; they see things as threat, no threat or food.. It definately could have been avoided but like with many things you get into the routine of it being safe and the one time you dont pay full attention is the time when something happens..

Sken, not all dogs are cat killing monsters,tbh not many cats are killed by dogs - more are killed on the road.. Regardless of how the cat was killed I think if you lost your snake and it got into the neighbours garden and they had a cat which killed it I don't think you would be very happy.. Imagine if the cat owners or anyone who agrees with them were to read this - they would probably only remember your comment and take it that all of us thought the same (I know I would..) It would only add fuel to the fire and get even more people convinced that snakes are dangerous and shouldn't be owned by Joe Public.. Whilst I respect that it is your opinion (and everyone is entitled to one) I think that you could have been a bit more sensative with how you worded it..

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  08:37:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no problem, my apologies
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

63 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  09:09:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Wilbur's owner is really lashing out because he knows he is to blame for the death of his cat. In this country, we have this mad assumption that cats should go out unsupervised. Responsible dog owners stopped letting their dogs roam the streets 30 years ago. If cats go out and are not enclosed in their own garden, it is noone's fault but their owner's when they are killed. There are many other risks than the very rare burmese python in the garden. Other people's gardens are their property - if they have a cat aggressive dog are they meant to keep them inside to prevent them killing a cat? No, if a cat comes into their garden it is a tragic accident and one that could've been avoided had the cat's owner enclosed their own garden for their safe play or kept it indoors. :(

I'm saying that as someone who has kept and fostered cats for 15 years, lost two to the road in the early years, had two killed by people who stole them from outside for dog bait (on the same day), and who subsequently kept her cats indoors where they were safe.

KathyM
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

531 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  09:39:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That snake should of never been outside on its own ...that guy should of been outside with it not looking from the window and he couldnt of been looking that well or he would of seen the cat before the snake got it ...he made a mistake one i hope he will learn by.....I dont believe these snakes need to be on the wda list but i do believe the issue of sorting out bad owners does need to be dealt with ..its these people that are giving people like us and the snakes a bad name

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  22:26:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do actually agree with you on that point tilly. He should never have been watching from a window while his snake roamed the garden. He had probably done it so many times he became complacent. He knows his snake can be dangerous and should therefore be close at hand when it is out and about. xxx

Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  14:32:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that the snake shouldnt have been left outside by itself but if Darren had of been outside with it, would he have been constantly looking around his garden looking for cats. If the cat came in without him seeing it, we all know how quick snakes are when they strike and constrict, would he have been able to do anything anyway?
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  14:52:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
arg why wont it let me view it!! I have joined and everything and every time i go to watch the video, it makes me log in, and then says my username or password isnt recognised... wtf!! help please!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  16:18:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did that too. Normaly when you sign up for things, you just click the link in the email they send you and your account then works. For this site you also have to click something else when you open the link they email you.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  16:49:13  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
For those that have problems with the site, try these links:

Part 1 of the interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHSxGHbzAqM

Part 2 of the interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yDipHa2PGA

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  16:50:41  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i couldnt view it either but its hosted by you tube its on you tube just do a search for darren bishop

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Spedz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  17:53:12  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have to admit, I agree with Darren on this..
I agree that it may have been wrong that he wasn't there with it; or the garden wasn't very secure - But as far as this story goes, the burm stayed in HIS garden.

If the snake was to go next door, and attack the cat there - Then that would be huge neglect on the snake owners part.
I know cats rarely stay at home.. But you should accept the risk of a cat venturing into places that belong to others.

The principle of your land, your rules (obviously to an extent) stick with me, as I believe I should be able to do in my own home and garden..

1.1.0 Corn Snake - 'Jasper' & 'Storm'
0.0.1 Curly Hair Tarantula - 'Fluffy'
1.0.0 Border Collie - 'Chance'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - 'Alfie'
0.1.0 Tortoise - 'Lightning'
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - 'Charlie'

RIP Eddie :'(
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  18:37:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would not like to live next door to that fella if he lets his snake out on its own without keeping a constant eye on it. Its huge...and i know the sheer size of it would panic me seeing the snake slithering about his garden.
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  18:41:40  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Have to agree with darren on this one to, It was HIS SNAKE IN HIS GARDEN. Ok so he took his eyes off her, but she has been doing the same thing for years, going out in the garden and then coming back in. Ok so its not nice the cat got eaten, and he makes a valid point. Cats roam and they are capable of killing someones pet rabbit, chickens, guinnipigs ect. So if that happened (which it probably has) you dont see it all over the papers and a big fuss is not kicked up about it. So what a snake ate a cat, a cat could eat aanother animal, in my eyes there's no diffrence they are all animals, its been blown up just cos it was a snake.
I feel sorry that they tried to get the police involved, what would have happened if the cat was run over? Would they get the police involved then? Sounds to me like the cat owners were being a bit extreem about it all, but yes thye probably were upset about the cat being killed, but they knew he had that snake, so if they were that worried about there cat, make there own garden fences higher, they could have taken precautions to.
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  20:05:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the links Kehhlyr
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: