co habiting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  19:41:02  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yea I know!! Well I might and its a big might be getting a Miami of my friend who is the breeder I got Missy off of. Well she has been talkingme into it and I said I dont have the room. She said as they will both be females and are at 3 months I should have no problems. She has all the females in a viv togther at the moment with no problems, so what do you guys think? Will it be ok to introduce Missy to a new friend?

Bilbo
Hatchling

United Kingdom
426 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  19:47:13  Show Profile  Visit Bilbo's Homepage  Click to see Bilbo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the breeders where i got bilbo and lizzie from both keep there corns together one has 3 female with 1 male and both say they have never had any problems with any of them so i am still thinking about putting bilbo and lizzie in the same viv but really dont know what to do.. i have had them together for bits at a time and they seem fine. but they get put back into there own vivs again..

2 male corns (Bilbo and roger)
1 female corn (lizzie)
2 dogs westies (jock & morag)
5 mirror carp
3 common carp
3 tench
5 gold fish
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  20:05:39  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have read throught the sticky on this, and im thinking about it. They will both be females and both the same age (about 4 months) my main worry is if they are to young. its not that I cant afford a second set up Its more down to room really. Im thinking of trying it. If I get problems possably selling the Miami, but I have a small tank I could use to seperate them in the mean time
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  22:31:25  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
after a long hard talk I have decided aginst getting the miami. Its not fair on the snakes and due to other possable comitments I may not be able to afford a second big viv when they are older if i needed it
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  01:22:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think it is a good decision Paula. With all I have read about co-habiting I just dont think it is worth it, the fact that we cant really tell if it is stressing the snakes would worry me. But then I have no experience and can only go by what I have read..... xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

161 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  02:43:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wise decision i personaly dont think hatchlings should be kept together we keep adults together in same sex pairs but never more than 2 in each viv but thats my opinion :)

1.0.0 miami clyde
0.1.0 miami bonnie
1.0.0 ghost casper
0.1.0 carolina sneaky
1.0.0 anery runt
0.1.0 anery spot
0.1.0 amel amy
1.0.0 no name ghost motley stripe
1.0.0 bloodred het lavender stripe on its way :)
0.1.0 reverse oketee on its way :)
1 husband
4 kids
new puppy shih apso on the way

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  06:41:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo

the breeders where i got bilbo and lizzie from both keep there corns together one has 3 female with 1 male and both say they have never had any problems with any of them so i am still thinking about putting bilbo and lizzie in the same viv but really dont know what to do.. i have had them together for bits at a time and they seem fine. but they get put back into there own vivs again..

i wouldnt put them in the same viv together if they are different sexes.. whilst your breeder hasnt had any problems they are probably together because she wants them to breed...if you put lizzie and bilbo together theres a chance they could breed at some point and that wouldnt be good for lizzie whilst she is still young..

i think thats the right choice Paula personally i wouldnt cohabit..the risks to both snakes just arent worth it

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  11:29:05  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Last night me Kehhlyr, Flatpack, hawk and Eye have been talking over other options, And I may be getting the snake, but it will not be co habiting if I do, Its just a big space issue. Onece I have the big viv's they can be stacked no worries, its the in the mean time!
So we thought build the first viv, but leave off the glass, put the 2 snakes inside it (in there own viv's) then when the time is getting near to up grading to the big viv's build the second and get the glass for the first!

And guys from last night if you are reading this, none of us twigged it last night, I wont need a second stat, i can run two mats off the one so in affect all I have to get is a heatmat for viv 2! DOH!
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  12:29:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that sounds like a good idea
hope you can do that

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Mnementh
Yearling

United Kingdom
537 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  12:38:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had 2 of my snakes in together when they were quite young , my brother in law brought me one over and talked me into putting it in with another snake the same size . He had had no problems because it had been in with the other hatchlings since hatching .
All went well for a week or 2 , then one of them regurgitated a meal , ofc I did'nt know which one , next feed same again then again . I had by this time set up another rub and moved them apart , since then , some months now , none have regurgitated . So one of them must have got quite stressed .
Either my first one having a strange snake on it's territory , or the new one because it had been moved a ways then put into a strange rub with a strange snake , who knows .
Needless to say , won't be co-habiting ever again . ( The snakes that is , I'm not averse to co-habiting )

One last jump , that's all we have to take Holth .
Wearily the old queen gathered heself to spring ;
Moreta gratefully began her litany .
Black , blacker , blackest -
They went between .
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  12:49:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo

I would say at the ages Lizzie and Bilbo are at it wouldnt be very sensible to even allow them to be together for a couple of minutes. Also, Bilbo is a fair bit bigger than Lizzie and could well end up trying to eat her.

I would only ever consider housing snakes of the same sex together, no younger than 2 years.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000