Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 need some help with Aura - have run out of ideas..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  17:00:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
will go out and buy some
she will quite happily have the pinkie put against her mouth but she just wont open it or anything to eat.. such a fussy little thing she is!!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  16:04:22  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

will go out and buy some
she will quite happily have the pinkie put against her mouth but she just wont open it or anything to eat.. such a fussy little thing she is!!

!!!!hold up!!!!

do not use a pinky press unless you know what you are doing.

is your snake losing wieght?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  20:12:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure if you are a member over on the dark side, but there is a technique that they use for none feeders that they call the water starvation method... they seem to swear by it and it has been used recently to succesfully get two western hognoses that had not eaten for 12 months after hatching to eat (as one of many examples).

It is where you remove the snakes water bowl for about a week, and then offer the snake a dripping wet prey item. The snake then drinks from the prey item and decides to eat it to get all of the water.

HOWEVER, i would say you really do need to keep a close eye on the snake to make sure i does not become too dehydrated.

I would actually try this long before i tried a pinky press.

Edited by - n/a on 03/10/2009 01:52:54
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  01:53:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I certainly feel that force feeding with a pinkie press must be a last resort and if used should be done by someone who is experienced at doing it....but the thought of the water starvation method horrifies me, I am not surprised it is only mentioned on the 'dark side'. I guess I can see the logic of it but a snake can go for a long time without food, but to deprive it of water is cruel.

HannahB - have you been weighing Aura regularly? What is her weight loss? xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  02:00:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a method i would only use after trying all of the other ones, but it is certainly less cruel than letting the snake die of starvation and far less stressful than forcing a feeding syringe down its throat.

Remember though, snakes do come from hotter countries and will not have a 24/7 supply of water as they have in a vivarium... so it may be less cruel than you think.

There are actually some snake species that benefit from only having water available to them every few days. Off the top of my head i cannot remember what the species were though.

EDIT: And while i remember, it is not only mentioned on the dark side, it is a technique that many european breeders have used to succesfully kick start a snakes feeding.

Edited by - n/a on 03/10/2009 02:01:28
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  09:38:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HannahB, any news of Aura, please?

Have you checked with the rep shop re trying with tails like I did with Shen?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000