Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 any one no where to get a cheap starter kit?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alex09
Egg

United Kingdom
82 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2009 :  16:45:43  Show Profile  Click to see alex09's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi,i am looking for a cheap starter kit with all i will need for a corn snake with it?

1.2.0 corn snake hannah
0.1.0 labrador peggy
0.1.0 border terrier

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2009 :  17:18:52  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What size snake are you thinking of getting??
Basics you'll need:

Heat-mat (size depends on viv/faun size)
Stat
Digi-thermometer (ideally 2)
2 hides
water bowl
substrate (could be shredded paper, paper towels, aspen etc)

Until a guesstimate of the snake size, it's hard to give you a better idea on what size mat and viv you'll need.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

alex09
Egg

United Kingdom
82 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2009 :  17:43:36  Show Profile  Click to see alex09's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i was think maybe a baby corn snake if that helps

1.2.0 corn snake hannah
0.1.0 labrador peggy
0.1.0 border terrier
Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2009 :  18:27:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For a baby get a heat mat and thermostat, a Rub ( similar to a sandwich box ) two hides one for the end by the heat mat and a water bowl, if you get one similar to a cat feeding bowl it may have a cutout for picking it up. this is ideal foe the cool end hide as well as water, use kitchen roll for a substrate and it should last a few months.

Go to Top of Page

Bilbo
Hatchling

United Kingdom
426 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2009 :  18:30:09  Show Profile  Visit Bilbo's Homepage  Click to see Bilbo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
can you put the heat mat under a rub as it is?? or do you need anything els??

2 male corns (Bilbo and roger)
1 female corn (lizzie)
2 dogs westies (jock & morag)
5 mirror carp
3 common carp
3 tench
5 gold fish
Go to Top of Page

Chimp276
Yearling

United Kingdom
587 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2009 :  19:34:58  Show Profile  Click to see Chimp276's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
triple 8 does a good snake starter kit!

0.1.0 Hypo Stripe - Aero
1.1.0 Leopard Geckos - Marley and Lemon

Go to Top of Page

alex09
Egg

United Kingdom
82 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2009 :  20:14:26  Show Profile  Click to see alex09's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanks for the help guys

1.2.0 corn snake hannah
0.1.0 labrador peggy
0.1.0 border terrier
Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2009 :  06:55:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found the starter kits are not necessarily the cheapest way forward and a bargain can always be found if you have the time to look around.

I got my matstat, heatmat and digital thermometer from Ebay for under £40 (paid for by selling random items that were lying around the house). The housing is a glass aquarium with a good tight fitting lid from the local recycling centre - £3 (just needed to drill airholes in the lid). Hides - I had some spares but people cut entrance holes in small plant pots or use loo roll tubes etc. I got a ceramic water bowl from Tesco for £1 and use kitchen roll as substrate.

For the snake itself - the reptile shop wanted £65 for an Anery which was what I wanted - on the Preloved website I found a local breeder and got my baby for £20 instead and get this - she has some of her babies for sale at the same shop so if I'd bought from there, I could have been getting the same animal for way more money!!

Total 'real money' spend (I don't count the money I make on Ebay)- £4 for the setup and £20 for my Anery baby Good luck with your shopping Sam

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

alex09
Egg

United Kingdom
82 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2009 :  12:12:31  Show Profile  Click to see alex09's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanks sam

1.2.0 corn snake hannah
0.1.0 labrador peggy
0.1.0 border terrier
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2009 :  18:46:51  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if you look at 'starter kits' make sure they include a thermostat, otherwise you'll need to add the cost of that onto it too ;)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000