Just starting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  21:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello, we're completely new to snakekeeping and still don't know if we are going to get a snake but we're hopefuland some answers to these questions could help us decide.
1. can you keep corn snakes in a terrarium or do you have to keep them in a vivarium (i don't see much difference in the two)
2. do corn snakes smell at all? what i mean is can you put it in a room without making the room smell of snake?

it's still a long term plan so we don't need urgent answers. there'll be more Qs on the way.

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  21:52:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome

1. can you keep corn snakes in a terrarium or do you have to keep them in a vivarium (i don't see much difference in the two)
you can keep them in a faun whilst they are still small - i keep mine in fauns with no problems

2. do corn snakes smell at all? what i mean is can you put it in a room without making the room smell of snake? the only time they tend to smell is when they poop which is generally only on the days following a feed

my pet budgie smelt more than my snake does...i keep 4 in my room and i only smell them when they have been fed and even that doesnt last long as i quickly clean it up

hope this helps

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Edited by - HannahB on 13/09/2009 22:14:12
Go to Top of Page

Chimp276
Yearling

United Kingdom
587 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  21:55:50  Show Profile  Click to see Chimp276's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Na snakes dnt smell at all! mines in my room and doesnt smell! But then again my room does smell all of the time :S lol!

0.1.0 Hypo Stripe - Aero
1.1.0 Leopard Geckos - Marley and Lemon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

63 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  21:58:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree! Mine doesn't smell unless he has pooped, can't help that I'm afraid. Otherwise I find snakes to be the least smelly of all the pets I have ever known, and the quietest as well!

1 Corn Snake (EDDIE)
2 Rats (PINK & STINK)
1 Cat (BINX)
1 Budgie (MOLLY)
Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  23:07:50  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
totally agree with previous posts
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  03:15:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Newbies

hello, we're completely new to snakekeeping and still don't know if we are going to get a snake but we're hopefuland some answers to these questions could help us decide. Well done for researching your choice of pet before you get it, so many people just buy without knowing anything about what they get.

1. can you keep corn snakes in a terrarium or do you have to keep them in a vivarium (i don't see much difference in the two) Depends on the size of the snake. An adult will land up in a vivarium, whereas a younger snake will start off with something smaller (cant remember name) and then work its way up to a viv as it grows. You cant put a young snake straight into a viv as large space scare them. For a first snake I would recommend getting an adult anyway - one that is a proven feeder and shedder.

2. do corn snakes smell at all? what i mean is can you put it in a room without making the room smell of snake? no, corns dont smell unless they poo - then that stinks! But it is easily cleaned out of the viv and then the smell is gone. Mine is kept in our lounge and there is no noticeable smell at all.

it's still a long term plan so we don't need urgent answers. there'll be more Qs on the way. This is the best place to get answers, from experienced owners willing to share their knowledge and advice. Remember that on here there is no such thing as a silly question so keep asking!

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 14/09/2009 03:19:40
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000