Slugs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  20:05:14  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
After finding out the snake formly known as Bam is female, I just have a few questions.
How common are slugs?
Can there be any major problems with lying them?
What are the signs that my snake would be carrying/about to lay slugs?
Will I need to up food /treat snake any diffrent if she has slugs in her?
How long to they take to lay them and how any are there normaly?

I know she is only young but after finding out I have a girl I wanted to do a bit of research into it, but cant find any info about the above questions, or the stuff I ave found conflits with each other. I just want to be prepared for any eventualty. (Ok Im just trying to be a good snake keeper!)

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  20:36:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im assuming you mean a whole clutch of infetile eggs without mating, as apposed to a slug or two within a fertilized clutch?

I cant really say how common they are, I only know of one other person its happened to.

I noticed my corn was mainly in the cool end, and I could tell she was a bit bigger, but not hugely.

You would treat the snake the same as if she was carrying fertile eggs and see how she does. if she fails to lay them, there are a couple of options. Once she has layed them, you woulf feed her more as you would with a snake that has lost weight by laying a fertile clutch.

There are normaly less than a fertile clutch, I cant remember how many mine had, around 15-20 I think.

Nothing wrong with being prepared

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  21:00:47  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
thanks matty. yea i did mean as in never been with a male, so unfirtile
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  03:41:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didnt even know that happened. xxx

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  13:42:34  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have heard of it happening, so just wanted to find out a bit more info on it, just so Im prepared for any suprises!!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2009 :  20:51:00  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it's not common but it's possible........ TBH i wouldn't really give it a second thought, IF it's going to happen you're more likely to just find them in her viv with very little indication from the snake what was going on

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000