poo problem?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  00:36:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi guys, I'm new to this site and this is my first post so I hope thet someone out there can give me a bit of advice or reassurance regarding my corns poo problem.
he's 16mths old and looks healthy and alert, his viv conditions are fine and he is feeding well but he hasnt had a poo since the 4th of august, ie a month ago!
I've had a complete change of substrate to check I havnt missed any buried anywhere and he's not due to shed again yet.
is it normal for a snake [who is still eating as usual] to go this long without having a poo or am I getting worried for nothing?
I'd be real grateful for another corn keepers opinion on this matter. cheers!

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  00:42:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would certainly be concerned if my corn was still taking food in but not excreting anything. When you handle him does he feel ok, any hardness or lumps that you can feel? Sometimes putting him in a bath can stimulate them to poo, but you must make sure water is not too hot, must feel cooler than lukewarm to us. How long have you had him? xxx

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  00:47:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are you feeding it and how often?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  00:59:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had him since he was a hatchling and he feels fine - in fact he was fed earlier tonight and I had a good handle of him beforehand to check him over for any lumps that could indicate a blockage somewhere in his digestive system but found nothing.
You get to know your own corn and i wouldnt say he was in any pain cos he's as curious & active as usual but I'll give a lukewarm bath a try if he still hasnt been in a few days following tonights meal.
Cheers for ya help and i'll keep ya informed!!!

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  01:02:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

What are you feeding it and how often?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  01:21:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry matty, not ignoring ya!
he's a big boy for his age i think, over 4ft long & as fat as spice jar in the middle.
i feed him every 6 days on a F/T mouse that's on average about 3"long [or 5" if ya include the tail] and about an inch in diameter and he takes them straight away every time.
what ya reckon? i can see you're a big time contributer to the forum so ya must be pretty hot on the subject of corn-care!

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  11:29:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am wondering whether you need to give him a longer break between feeds, maybe move it to every 10 days. What does he weigh? Pics might help. xxx

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  12:29:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As above. A pic of him may help. Has he got any bumps or lumps on his body, particularly near the tail? His weight would help also.

Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  18:29:44  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Try giving him very gentle rub down his body too, when I've been handling Lucien he often has a poo afterwards.

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  19:29:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as i found today at the show with the royal gently rubbing the body does help them go to the loo lmao!
a warmish bath should help..just check the temp before putting him in it

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  19:46:35  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
any pics? pics would be the best. especially a close up of his lower back and tail
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  20:49:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi. cheers for ya replies everyone.
handled sparks today following his feed on sunday & took some photos as suggested.
hope they come up ok, if not will get help & try again asap!
also weighed him at 460g or just over 1LB - is that average for his age of 16 mths?
Still cant feel any hard lumps along his back half so my next mission is to try the just-warm bath to try & stimulate him to go.
let me know what you guys think. cheers X

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  23:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he doesnt seem to be bulging anywhere like showing signs of a blockage My snow doesnt c**p as much as the carolina does. Does your snake take in enough water?

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  01:02:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
funny you should say that cos i was wondering the same thing, could he be a bit dehydrated, but how do you know if he's not taking enough & if not, how do you get a snake to drink more?

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  01:55:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That i really dont know how you make a snake drink . When ive fed mine i normally place them in the viv at the water bowl n they drink. Though snakes can be cunning you see them in one cornor at night n their still there in the mornning but actually they have probably done 20 laps of th viv.if he is eating well n not showing any distress i would leave him be

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  14:56:48  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello my Champagne had a poo problem and after talking to the owner of the reptile store i got him from he said just give him a warm bath for 4 - 6 mins and check the temps, So i did this and he pooed in about 4mins of being in the bath i think the warm water activates there bowls or some thing and makes them let it all go and it stinks soo bad it about made me feel sick but it works and now he is pooing normal. Hope this helps you

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  20:59:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

cos my pics didnt come out as well as i'd hoped here are another couple to look at.
gonna try the bath thing tonight cos still no poop - should be fun!

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  22:20:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How did the bath go? Any luck? xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  00:36:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
went to try the bath thing but when i went to get him out i could see that he's preparing to shed again [thought he looked a bit dull the day i took the photos above] so have decided to postpone his bath for the time being. he usually does a massivepoopwhen he sheds so hopefully this will happen and things will then get back to normal!
hope kellog is ok, even if still keeping out of the way in case he gets treated for mites again! x

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2009 :  23:19:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just a quick note to anyone who is still interested.......
we have shed AND pooed as predicted so here's one relieved owner & one even more relieved snake!!!

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2009 :  03:31:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic news sioux, you and your snake must feel so much better!!! xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: