Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

n/a
deleted

151 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  18:14:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok so im seriously panicking now. About an hour ago i discovered that my hatchling was not in her viv. I have searched all the substrate and under the hdies numerous times. Me and my mum have turned the room she was being kept in upside down. But its my little sisters room and its a bloody mess, clutter everywhere so it'll be like finding a needle in haystack!
Also its a proper old house! so lots of crack in floorboards etc. The airing cupboard is quite close to where her viv was and i am proper panicking because the pipes in there are seriously hot. I proper burnt myself reaching past one to look for her and shes a climber so im really worried that if shes got in there then she will have really hurt herself.
Ive done all the usual tricks like putting flour down and stuff but its mostly carpet so its difficult! I was only supposed to be visiting for a few days and am due to leave tomorrow morning but cant bear to leave without finding her!

I feel sick

0.1.0 Crimson Corn "Cherry Darling"
0.1.0 Anery Corn "Riff Raff"
0.1.0 Hypo Motley Corn "Magenta"
0.1.0 Crested Gecko "Beatrix Kiddo"
0.1.0 Crested Gecko "O-Ren Ishii"
0.1.0 Tortoiseshell and White Kitten "Gizmo!"

n/a
deleted

151 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  18:30:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
P.S. We have CATS!!!! Riff Raff is only about 10 inches long and wouldnt stand a chance if one of them catches up to her first. Please help!

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  18:33:13  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sorry to hear that,keep searching that the only advise i can give you

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  18:43:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just keep checking all the unobvious and obvious places...pockets..towels..inside electrical things..
fingers crossed you find her soon

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  18:44:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fingers crossed too...as above just keep looking...

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

90 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  19:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry to hear that hun! keep looking and good luck xx
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  19:17:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So sorry to hear this Aimee. It seems to be happening a lot at the moment. How did she get out? Try putting the viv on the floor near a dish of water, she may decide to come home by herself. I have heard of owners sitting up all night in case the missing snake puts in an appearance, which may be an idea for you to try tonight. Firstly you need to tidy your sister's room a bit to check out everything. Look high and low, near anything warm...computer leads, plugs, videos etc. You could try turning down the heat in the rest of the house and turning it up in your sister's room. She will seek out heat. When was she last fed? If she is due a feed it might be worthwhile putting a bottle trap out - dont know how to guide you to link on how to build one but it is somewhere on the site. Can understand you not wanting to leave without finding her. Do you have to go tomorrow? xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 01/09/2009 19:19:48
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

151 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  23:01:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the advice guys. I feel absolutely devastated!
Kellogs, im not entirely sure how she could have gotten out. Its a total mystery at the moment. The viv is, as far as i can see, totally secure. Im really confused!
Im very tempted to stay up all night if im honest. I am meant to be leaving in the morning as ive a job to get back to but right now every fibre of me is telling me to stay and keep looking. Shes just a baby and i couldnt live with myself if something bad happened to her.
Unfortunately i didnt bring food as i was only meant to be here for a few days! But my mum has said she will drive me to get some tomorrow. There is also this guy down the lane who has a very large snakes and he feeds it chicks apparently. would it be possible to use chicks as bait in the bottle traps? if so is it ok to chop them up into bite size pieces as Riff Raff is only on pinkies.
Again any advice no matter how small would be really appreciated! xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  23:23:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Con, I'm no snake expert, but I'm a "search and discover" veteran so here is a method of searching an area, even if really messy:

You start from the very top. Ceiling. Start slowly come down from there to top of lampshades if any, down electric wires, anything that dangles from the ceiling.

Then you choose the least cluttered wall and start to go down it methodically. If there are shelves, everything comes off them and only gets put back once it's been inspected, books opened, etc. If there are cupboards, the drawers come out completely, and if possibly, the cupboard or closet gets pulled away from the wall so the area behind it can be searched too.

The frame of mind is to inspect every surface no matter how unlikely.

The floor and any object on it get done last, and any carpets would get their underside inspected too.

If still no go, I'd go under the floorboards.

For that awkward place with the pipes I'd get a good torch and a mirror, so you can inspect the hidden areas.

Apart from "every surface" I'd also think as if I'm looking for something much smaller e.g. think you're looking for a contact lense.
Go to Top of Page

Spedz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  23:35:00  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It'd also be a good idea to put some bottle traps down, and spread flour around several rooms in the house.
An escaped hatchling is the worst kind, as corns are so small and are very quick..

As for chicks, it may be a bit awkard and horrible for you to do.. But it could work.
I'd try and get the pinkys and put them around, reheating them with a hairdryer every so often.

1.1.0 Corn Snake - 'Jasper' & 'Storm'
0.0.1 Curly Hair Tarantula - 'Fluffy'
1.0.0 Border Collie - 'Chance'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - 'Alfie'
0.1.0 Tortoise - 'Lightning'
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - 'Charlie'

RIP Eddie :'(
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

201 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  23:47:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you 100% she is not in the viv, i would re-check because cornflake always used to hide as a lil baby. Is it possible to lift a floor bored up it will be darker there and corns like dark places. If there is gaps in there floor boreds try to shine a torch between to see if you can get a better look down there. Also you say the viv is near the airing cupbored try putting a bottle trap in there and maybe a bowl of water to. My first port of call would be in the airing cupbored due to it being a higher risk place for the corn hatchling to be. Thats about all i can suggest hope you find him/her.

Regards Chris

1 x Cornsnake (Cornflake)
1 x Boxer Dog (Stumpi)
Regards Chris & Cornflake
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

201 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  12:11:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any news on the hatchling, hope you've found him

1 x Boxer Dog (Stumpi)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

43 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  13:11:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have a look at my post about escaping snakes

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

151 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  15:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still absoluteley no sign of her im afraid. i amd so gutted.
Ive put loads of bottle traps around with pinkies in them. How long is ok to leave the same pinkies out for?
Its looking pretty bleak. I have a horrible feeling shes gone down the floorboards in the airing cupboard. So ive put a bottle trap under there too. I dont know what else to do!!! :(
Also i did read that post about escaping snakes. it was really helpful so thank you for posting it. Its given me a bit more hope actually. Im determined to find her!!!
thanks for all the support guys

Go to Top of Page

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  15:49:53  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Put plenty of water bowls all round the house. A snake can go months without food but as little as a week without water. Floorboards seem to always be the first place people think the snake has gone, you could be right but check everywhere warm, near radiators, pipes, in the oven, the washer, behind the fridge. Check all your washing before they go in the washing machine - last thing you want is a snake in the washer on a spin (then you will feel sick)

Snakes can go missing for months and then suddenly reappear... Don't give up hope (even 6 months down the line) keep changing the water and trying with the bottle traps - Good Luck!

Oh and put the cats outside for a few weeks ;) they'll be okay

Lewy

THE CORN SNAKE.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  20:00:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
keep searching but dont give up looking..fingers crossed for you hun

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

89 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  09:04:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any news??

1 Hypo Corn - Slinky
1 Leopard Gecko - Leo
1 White Boxer - Floyd
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

201 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  09:13:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please dont give up hope on him !!!

1 x Boxer Dog (Stumpi)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  10:39:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any sign of him? Are you back at your job now? Please try and keep positive. xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

151 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  13:57:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely no sign as of yet. I am going to completely gut my sisters room when she goes out later. Shes staying at a friends for a day or two so it should give me an opportunity to have a proper thorough look. But my instinct are telling me shes under the floorboards and my parents are never going to let me take up the floorboards to find her. So far they've been really supportive but i think they'll draw the line at that.
Im going to have to go back to work on Monday unfortunately. But im not giving up. Ive managed to get some more time off in two weeks so ill come back and keep looking and my family have said that they will keep laying the traps and putting out fresh food and water. Ive also made Missing Snake posters to hand around to the neighbours just in case shes found her way outside or into someone else's house.
I feel so sad about it. I still keep expecting her to just pop out. I cant relax. :(

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

531 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  15:47:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont give up just cos she is missing doesnt mean you may not find her ....Let you into something i got a hatchling begining of july it got out i put food down everything couldnt find it i was so upset ...then 4 weeks later i was sitting here with a lamp on one evening and he just slithered across the floor.......fingers crossed mate all will be good

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000