Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  14:04:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can someone please reassure me! Kellog is still hiding out in his hide most of the time despite his viv being returned to normal after the 'mite affair'. Tried to tempt him out when he was fed today but would only come a few inches out and then backed back in. Finally got him to feed by dangling mouse right in front of hide, he struck and dragged mouse inside. That was this morning and this evening I did lift hide to check he has eaten it and it has gone, but he must have been all coiled up in there when he swallowed it which cant be good for him. Before the 'mite affair' we never bothered him when he was in his hide. We would only handle him when he was out and about but had to start removing hide to get at him and treat hide and bath him. He then spent nearly 3 weeks on kitchen roll instead of substrate, so I can understand that he might be stressed still. But he is ok when he is handled, as I managed to grab him when he ventured out of his hide yesterday and he seemed very happy - did not want to go back into viv. Cant see anything wrong with him, it is just his hiding all the time that worries me cos it is so different to his behaviour before the 'mite incident'. I am up a lot during the night and he doesnt seem to move around then either. What do people think, please????? xxx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Checkout Kellog Questions topic for background info.

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  14:29:08  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
He might be nervous of all that has happend in the viv and is now unsure of it? He has had a bad experiance in there. Im sure after time he will settle again. He's probably happy out the viv and dont want to go back in cos of his nervs! Thats my thought, but im no expert
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  15:46:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he is probably just getting back his nerves and energy after a stressful time in his life. I know when i have been ill I like nothing better than curling up in bed with some hot chocolate and a good book.

he is probably just engaging in the snakey equivalent!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  16:46:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now the viv has returned to normal it will be like a new surrounding to him so he probably needs a bit off time to settle in again
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  23:13:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is what I am hoping but do I just leave him alone, or should I take off his hide and take him out to handle him to keep that contact?? Before the mite problem we would never have removed hide when he was in it - wanted it to be his safe place. xxx

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  23:25:39  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If it were me I pesonnaly leave him in the hide so he can learn it is his safe place again. Unless I had to move him.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  03:29:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just worries me so much when I am not seeing him at all, as far as I can tell he is not coming out at night either (have straigthened and flattened substrate so I can see if he goes for a wander). xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  03:41:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Just worries me so much when I am not seeing him at all,

Understood. I too like to be able to see our little one, at least at night and even from a distance. Earlier this evening he was hiding. I knew he was in there and still had this irrational worrying sensation.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  04:01:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After the 13 weeks fast, then the mites incident I am just so nervous something is wrong or I have done something wrong. xxx

Go to Top of Page

meggi
Hatchling

United Kingdom
321 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  13:28:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i`m sure kelog is fine , his pros just nerous about everything , try , now that his cage is back 2 normal , just leave him for 4-5 days. Then when u get him back out he should be fine , if hes not take him 2 the vets , just to be on the safe side.

sorrii no piks of tobasco.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  04:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good news is Kellog ventured out yesterday (Wed). On Tues he kept poking his head out as though he was watching what was going on and then yesterday he came out in the morning, straight up his branch and then down burrowing under his substrate, so much so that you couldnt see any of him! Didnt try to handle him as it was his first time out, but if I see him out today I will get him out, which will be great as I've been missing him. Guess it just takes time and trying to be patient, which is where I fail cos I worry too much! Thanks for the reassurance! xxx

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  10:54:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately Kellog has returned to hiding. When I changed his water and checked his substrate I found that he had pooed when he was out, so it looks like that was the reason for his appearance. I just hoped that once he had come out for that he would continue coming out. Miss seeing him moving about the viv and handling him. Will feed him over weekend and try and tempt him out. xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  11:12:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck on the weekend! He will come out eventually.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  11:46:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kellog is still in hiding and its now been nearly 2 weeks since his viv was returned to normal after 'mites incident' He does stick out his head and look around, sometimes tongue flicking and sometimes just watching...but he is not venturing any further. It is also hard to tell whether he is drinking or not. I've moved his water bowl further away from his hide so maybe I can see some disturbance to show he has been out. Feeding him tomorrow as moving it to every 10 days (was hoping if he got hungry he might come looking for food). Still havent lifted his hide off him to check on him as think that is one of the things that freaked him out during the 'incident'. When should I start to worry that there is something wrong? xxx

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  08:49:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night I put one of my socks in his viv, hoping the smell (no comments please) might reassure him. He fed this morning and I managed to get him to come about 1 third out of his hide by dangling the mouse at a distance. He came out quite smoothly and struck well, but as soon as he had struck he backed up into his hide pulling the mouse with him. I did see him eat it as he did it just in the doorway, but it worries me that he is digesting it curled up inside his hide. He did this when he was fed 10 days ago and came out of hiding on Wed morning (when I thought we had finally reached a changing point in his behaviour) and moved about the viv....but I later found that he had pooed normally in the corner, so that was the reason for his venturing out of hiding. Since then he has been back inside. He does look out, especially if I sit with viv door open and talk to him - he comes to opening of hide and looks out, tongue flicking or just watching. Is it still a case of patience or is there anything else I can do? xxx

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  04:31:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please could someone like GP advise me.....when should I start to get worried that there is something wrong? Should I disturb him again by taking his hide off him so I can handle him?? Please, someone reassure me!! xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  01:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi, you sound worried sick about the little fella and i can relate to that cos i'm the one with the poo problem you replied to the other day.
is his viv warm enough cos being cold makes them lethargic and they dont wanna come out & about or is he due for a shed soon cos mine always goes into hiding then, i go to check he's ok and he's gone all dull.
i very often lift his hide up to get him out, eg.if its feed night & i havnt got the time to wait for him to come out by himself and it doesnt seem to bother him at all.
he can't feel too unsettled by me intruding into his secure place cos he goes back to it every time but i guess all corns are differant and yours has just gone thro a traumatic experiance so he might just need more time to settle in again.
hope things work out ok in the end for ya. x

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  13:04:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. I used to lift the hide on my boy if I wanted to take him out and he never worried. Provided he's not thinking of shedding and you've given him time to digest his last feed I would try handling him and see what he's like.
Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  22:11:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks sioux and Bezzie. I am getting even more worried cos it has now been 3 weeks since his viv was returned to normal and he is still hiding. He is just overdue a poo as was fed on Monday, so think I will get him out tomorrow even if I have to lift his hide up. His heat is the same as it has always been and there have been no changes from his 'before' mites situation. I know it is a relief he is eating, but cant tell if he is drinking, and when he does eat he is striking and then dragging the mouse back to his hide. What more can I do cos this cant be normal, not for this long a period? GP?????? xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  22:50:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi again - i wouldnt be worried enough by his hiding up to take him to the snake dr, so long as he's eating and he seems his usual self when you handle him i dont think there is anything medically wrong with the little fella and i'm sure its just a matter of time. i would handle him as much as poss, even if it does mean lifting his hide up, perhaps he's hiding from ya cos he thinks you're gonna treat him for mites again and he needs time to build up his trust in humans again? who knows how their little heads tick? keep ya chin up, he'll be fine X

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  17:22:18  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sorry i missed replying to this hun.....
he's had an awful lot going on recently so i think it's understandable he's hiding.......
is he in the warm or cold hide? if he's in the warm one that's good but it might be worth turning the stat up a tiny bit in case he's staying there cos he's struggling to get up to his preferred temperature
if he's in the cold hide i'd turn the stat down a fraction (maybe its a little warm for his personal liking?) and disturb him or move him to the warm end. once snakes have got particularly cold they can sometimes lose the desire to find somewhere warmer
i'd start handling him for short periods of time a couple of times a week to keep him used to being handled but with minimum amount of stress for him.

and keep us updated hun

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 13/09/2009 17:23:34
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000