Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  16:53:40  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok so we've all heard about how grim it is and the lack of running water, indoor toilets, electricity, etc but is it worth moving up there? . I'm looking at a few jobs that will involve me and my family relocating to the Yorkshire/Lancashire area and I'm wanting to know if it would be worth it. So here's your chance northerners. A chance to sing the praises of your much loved part of the country .

p.s. This is a legit request and not me trying to wind Kaz up

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  17:31:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have to eat black pudding before you can move up north
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  17:49:11  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
DONT DO IT PAUL!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  17:55:55  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Remmy

You have to eat black pudding before you can move up north

Yummy As long as it's part of a fry-up.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  18:18:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live way up here in the wilds so my opinion probably is a bit useless- but I love it up here! Quality of life is much much much better.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  18:40:31  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I was looking at commuting from Portsmouth to London every day so I suppose the same radius would apply with the jobs up north. The one I'm looking at at the moment is based in Skelmersdale so I suppose I'm looking at living anywhere within a 2hr commuting radius of there really.

Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  19:10:03  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nooo, we cant loose another Southerner!

www.youtube.com/BlueTongueDan
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  19:15:50  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Stay with us!! Dont leave us! You'd never survive up there, Any way Think you need a passport to go "up there"!!
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  19:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

DONT DO IT PAUL!!!!!

What he said!

And anyway, if you do move, you wont undertand what all the people are saying, they all talk funny

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  19:51:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We struggle with this question constantly. I am half yorkshire so have family 'up there' and we just love it every time we go up - the pace of life, the people, the beer, the countryside, the beer, housing costs... did I mention the beer? Main thing holding us south is kids in school and job prospects for OH, just couldnt earn what he does here even if he could get a job. But that beer is sooooo tempting....... xxx

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  19:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

We struggle with this question constantly. I am half yorkshire so have family 'up there' and we just love it every time we go up - the pace of life, the people, the beer, the countryside, the beer, housing costs... did I mention the beer? Main thing holding us south is kids in school and job prospects for OH, just couldnt earn what he does here even if he could get a job. But that beer is sooooo tempting....... xxx

I do miss proper somerset scrumpy come to think of it.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

348 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  20:06:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol... you've got to be tough to live up here none of that nancy eastenders pretend bravado in these parts. It rains a lot and it when its hot its cold. We put gravy on chips and puddings arn't a type of sweet they have meat in them! Beer has a head on it and tastes like beer!
Muffins are a type of bread not some crappy sweet fairy cake that the yanks eat and you put chips and gravy on them with lots of vinegar and salt.
Strangers will smile and take time out to talk to you and people are by and large very friendly..........

Joking apart its just like anywhere else in the UK. It has its good points and bad points.
Don't believe thepoopyou read in the news about Manchester. There isn't anywhere that i can think of thats a no go area. And there are still more shootings in New York every day than there are here in a year!........Come up north its gradly fein.........

1.0.0 cash snow corn
0.0.3 koi carp
0.0.18 assorted gold fish
axolotl eggs ready to hatch
0.1.0 Chaco golden knee T
0.1.0 chilli rose pending!

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  22:32:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
don't you dare leave us to that rambling northern lot!!

Go to Top of Page

Flatpack63
Hatchling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  23:16:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard that they eat outsiders "UP THERE"

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  14:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Come up north!!

The Yorkshire accent rocks, everyone loves it really

Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  17:51:52  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
im from manchester but i say come up. southerners smell funny
Go to Top of Page

Flatpack63
Hatchling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  18:02:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brookestar

im from manchester but i say come up. southerners smell funny

That funny smell us Southerners have is called SOAP
(Only joking. I just couldn't resist it.)

Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  18:14:39  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
SOAP is that an abbreviation for Southerners Only Apply Poo

i give as good as i take

only joking but thought it was quite fast for me
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  18:32:08  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Northerners won't eat Paulusworm as he already knows all the Yorkshire hard cases- me, Lewy, BE, Magnecticblue, Dazb, Gingerpony- we'll look after him properly.

Plus I don't think Paulusworm would taste very nice, being a southerner and therefore marinaded in shandy.....not even with mushy peas on top

You should come up to have a look. We do have nice bits you know. Check out the Peak District. Sheffield, Leeds and York are nice cities.

....(but don't go anywhere near Rotherham- that is a Royston Vasey type town

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  21:27:04  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

...... being a southerner and therefore marinaded in shandy.....

I need to introduce you to those lovely people at Ringwood Brewery

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  23:28:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I have to say that nothing beats Yorkshire beer - and I live down south! My OH was born and bred in London and is a bit of a bitter snob (no puns please) and even he thinks Yorkshire tastes best!! xxx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000