Feeding. How often and how much!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  11:02:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I became a corn snake owner about 6 months ago for the first time. The previous owners said Alfie was about 18 month old and needed feeding every 3 days. Having looked at various bits of info on the internet we gathered that a 6ft corn snake was probably older than 18 months and needed feeding a large mouse every week. We also think that due to the shape of the tail Alfie is actually a girl.
The question I have is how much food should we feed him? We try and stick to once a week but he always starts acting hungry after about 3 days and start looking for more food. Even to the extent that he even strikes at his own reflection in the glass. He is not an aggressive snake so I don't think it is that. He is really placid when being handled. Any ideas?

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  11:33:23  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would say that a 6fter is probably an adult so a weekly feed is fine.

Is it definite that he's male? Adult males can be fed every 10-14 days, whereas I would always recommend that females stay on a weekly feed. They are like us- we need more fat than men do

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  12:32:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
maybe your snake is being fed too small a prey item? it may explain the hunting behaviour after only 3 days. most younger snakes are fed once a week, and as they grow up this is reduced to a larger prey item every 10-14 days. tail shape is not an accurate way of sexing a snake, and it would be worth getting him probed at a reputable shop to determine whether he is male or female.

also, are you sure he is 6 foot? only asking because that is pretty big, and I want to see pictures!!

I wouldnt really go on any of the things the previous owners told you, as feeding any snake every 3 days is far too much.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  16:27:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As above 6' seems a bit big for a Corn
What size mice are you feeding?
When Sid started eating every 3 days I increased the mouse size and kept him on weekly feeding.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  23:03:13  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stumpy

As above 6' seems a bit big for a Corn

Agreed.
Do you have a couple pics?? just in case there's been mis-information somewhere, because it happens so much. Cheers.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000