what happend?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2009 :  20:25:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my 1st clutch started hatching last week and i have 7 little snakes so far with 5 to go hopefully but yesterday i saw 2 heads and a slit in one of the eggs, the 2 heads came out but after 24 hours the one with the slit had no movement at all so i decided to help the little guy out, but a fully formed and a large one aswell was dead. i did notice the snakes neck was very limp as if there was no bones had formed. any ideas of what might have happend??

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2009 :  21:55:43  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not sure really- but sometimes birthing defects are quite common.

I'm sure it's nothing you have done

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  16:36:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snakes lay so many eggs to improve the chances of some of them living, they arnt all expected to make it.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  21:14:51  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
one of my clutches was a bad one this year, out of 19 eggs only 3 survived. Out of those three, one had to be put to sleep because it was so badly deformed, and one other has a slight kink in his back.
I had 3 other clutches in the same incubator which all hatched out fine so I know its nothing to do with anything I've done or not done, its just one of those things that happens.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  21:27:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks yea i understand its not me thats done anything wrong as 10 out of 14 eggs have hatched fine and 2 more to come hopefully, i have to admit finding a deformed but alive snake in the future would be something that would be hard to accept i just hope it dosent happen, well done to you for dealing with it well.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  22:13:37  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i had one of this year's clutch that was a fully-formed amel stripe (prolly female too knowing my luck!)
she pipped then nothing.......... 24 hours later i slit the egg to give her a bit of help........ still nothing......... another 24 hours later i opened it up and found her

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000