Breeding corns
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

50 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  20:30:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi was just wondering how easy is it to breed corns does it require a lot of time and care??

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  20:43:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would suggest reading up on it alot before you try, making sure your breeding pair are ready and just generally gathering info from the internet and books etc, once you get ya head round it it isnt that hard to do

Edited by - n/a on 14/08/2009 20:44:10
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  20:46:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lots of research! it is generally agreed that do have the best chance of fertile eggs, corns should be brumated at lower temps for around 3 months over christmas. after brumation, corns should be well fed (little and often) to gain their pre-brumation wieghts. The snakes should have a post brumation shed before being introduced to each other, though this is most important for the female. sometimes a gentle misting will induce mating behaviour as it simulates a gentle spring rain. after a successful mating, the snakes should be seperated again, and continue to feed the female well. Provide her with an egg-laying box to use when it comes to laying. Eggs should be placed in an incubator in a slightly damp vermiculite medium, sometimes covered with sphagnum moss. eggs should not be turned at all during incubation as this will drown the embryos, or seperated from their clumps.

this is just the VERY VERY BASICS- I am in no way an expert when it comes to breeding, and off the top of my head I cannot remember any of the facts and figures regarding incubation periods etc.

also follow the "rule of three"- the female should be 300 grams in weight, 30 inches in length, and 3 years old before mating. The male should be a similar size and weight to ensure fertile sperm.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

50 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  21:02:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks i think ill just stick to keeping them as a hobbie lol

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  12:48:17  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the hardest work starts when the eggs hatch out. Each clutch will average at around 17 eggs, so theres the potential for more. Each of those babies will need somewhere to live (individually) and they will need feeding until you sell them which could take months and months.
Possibly not all of them will eat so you may have some non feeders to deal with that yiou will need to get eating before they can be sold.

Chucking two snakes in a box for them to breed is the easy bit

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  17:54:47  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
agree with eeji. getting the eggs isnt too hard but once they hatch you have a hard job ahead of you
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2009 :  13:35:46  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
to give you a bit of an idea of the involvement and cost, this is the mice from last nights feeding.........

..and as well as feeding one of these to each snake, every one of them needed cleaning and water changing, so as you can imagine it took a while to get through.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2009 :  17:36:02  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
wow thats a lot of mice
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

50 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2009 :  23:23:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow im gobsmcked definatley not goin into breeding lol

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  13:56:19  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
....out of that lot, there was 12 non feeders

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

58 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  17:57:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats a lot of mice i want 2 breed my snake, but now im not quite sure, also if the bank of mom and dad will be able to take the strain!!!!! lol
Madgirl.
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  20:30:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im really tempted to breed my hypo with mont to see if he is het for hypo and lavender but ive still got three years to decide whether i want to or not..
if i do decide to il be starting my research well before they are near the right sizes so i know i have looked at everything i need to

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000