Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

44 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  20:24:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was told not to feed her in her viv but she gets really stressed when I put her into the wee plastic tub. Any ideas?Should I just feed her in her viv?

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  20:26:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
put down some kitchen towel or a feeding dish in the viv so no substrate can be ingested, then it should be fine!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

44 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  20:29:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  20:30:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have a bathroom tile that i use to feed mont on.. i handle him before feeding so hes active and then i use long tongs to wiggle the pinkie infront of him but above the tile..making sure that mont is well on the tile before letting him have it
either that or i put him on the mesh top of the viv and feed him on there..

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  21:02:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kellog has always been fed in his viv, without protection from the substrate - just dangle, he strike and loosely coils, then chomps down. He eats great and havent had any problem with him eating the substrate, probably cos mouse if dry and so nothing sticks to it? xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

44 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  21:27:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not had her for long tried a feed on thurs she didn`t eat.I know she willprob take a while to settle in . The pet shop said they fed her on sat but am not sure as when i phoned they said they feed their snakes at 4.30 but i picked her up before then. So i don`t think she had a feed for about 2 weeks.
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  21:36:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cut up an old cereal box - cheap and easy; and removed his furniture and put this down and fed him on that.
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  21:52:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although it is safer to feed outside the viv not all snakes will do this. Just put the mouse on something, like a piece of kitchen roll, plate or tile so it doesn`t ingest any substrate.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  04:18:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long have you had her? She might not have settled in yet so might be too stressed to feed. Need to leave at least a week without handling or feeding. Just changing drinking water so you have your hand in her viv once a day and she gets used to your smell. Sorry if you are past this point and have already waited, but it might explain why she didnt feed when you offered it to her. xxx

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  12:55:02  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
none of mine get fed outside their tubs

how old/big is yours and what substrate do you use?

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

44 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  15:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn`t get much info about her so don`t know her age.She is about 12/13 inches. I have got kitchen roll down just now.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

44 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  15:49:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Kellog i have had her a week now.Handled her first day then found this site (great advice). I have just left her alone apart from changing water etc. I heard the bit about leaving her a week but the shop said they feed their snakes about 4.30pm on a sat but I got her before this time so I was worried she hadn`t eat for a while. That`s why a tried her with a feed.
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  16:26:53  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by laurad

Didn`t get much info about her so don`t know her age.She is about 12/13 inches. I have got kitchen roll down just now.

you'll be ok feeding her in her viv/tub/whatever-she-lives-in for now ;)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  16:48:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
personally my snakes have always been put in a tupperware to get fed as i was told not to feed them in the viv because snakes sense heat so if you feed them in the viv your snake may one time think that your thumb or finger is food when you put you hand in the viv n you will end up with a rather sore finger better safe than sorry thats my motto.

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  17:08:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She can go a while without food and it is better to leave her to settle rather than stress her (and yourself) by trying to feed her too soon. I dont know enough to know how long she could go at her age without worrying.
You are certainly ok to feed her in your viv. I am not sure about what KittyCat has said. I can understand a snake biting you when you are feeding it because the smell of the mouse is overwhelming and the snake is in hunting mode. But I dont think there is anything to worry about your snake thinking your hand is food when you have your hand in viv as surely the snake can smell that it is you and not food??

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  17:29:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree Kellog, Casper has been fed in his viv for well over 6 years, and has NEVER struck at me.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

44 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  19:46:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would rather feed her in her viv as I feel it would be less stressful for her. Well I am going to give her a feed tonight. I was gonna feed her about 11pm as she tends to be up at this time. Any thoughts on this? I thought it would be better to try her with a feed when she is active.
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  19:51:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds fine to me, I normally feed mine just before my bedtime (10-11pm) when they are up. I dont like having food thrust at me halfway through a snooze!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

Flatpack63
Hatchling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2009 :  14:23:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always fed Rizla in his viv with no problems. But I'm going to try feeding Menthol outside so I can compare and draw my own conclusions.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

44 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2009 :  15:35:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She still never eat last night! When do you think I should try her again? I was gonna wait till thursday! You think I should try her sooner? Would really apreciate any advice thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2009 :  16:32:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wait until the next feeding day.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly