Moving into a bigger Viv?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

25 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  15:36:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, I'm sure this has been asked a few times but i'm a little worried so i thought i would ask anyway, sorry!

I've had my corn snake for about a year now and I am currently keeping her in the starter set she came with, which I think is 40x30x17cm (but not positive about that!)
I have noticed that she is starting to look a little cramped in there. She is about the same size as a length & width of one of the sides of the faunariam, maybe a little bit bigger.
So I have got her a new vivarium... which is 915 X 470 X 525mm.
Would she be okay in the new vivarium or should I wait a little longer till I put her in there? I dont want to scare her.

Thank you

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  15:54:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although you shouldn't put very small snakes in huge enclosures, you can help minimise stress when moving up viv size by packing it with plants, hides, vines etc etc...

I'm sure snakey will be fine

Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  16:09:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She will be fine in that size viv, just pack it out with plenty of plants and hides. Tynan is in a viv 900*450*450, he is 2ft long and he loves it in there.
Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  16:23:04  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
remmy right just pack it out a bit with plants and logs maybe. corns like to explore at night ... well mine do ... so you need space for that but during the day they will most probably curl up in a hide and not want to space you give them
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  17:03:33  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
while we are on the subject of viv sizes, when you move a snake up, do you need to give it a week settle in period again? Specialy if its going from palstic/glass to wood, as its al diffrent for them again?
Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  18:03:20  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
not sure tbh paula. i would give it 24 hours just to be safe but im really not 100%
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  18:45:32  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I just wondered as when you buy a snake you have to give it a week to settle, and it would have changed viv's then, so made me wonder if it was the same as when you upgrade?!
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  19:02:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think just leave it 24hours. Dont forget when you first get a snake everything is new too it. When you move it to a bigger viv its hides, plants etc aren`t new plus snakey knows your scent already.
Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  19:28:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AS above, when you first get the snake nothing except the snake comes from the breeder / shop. It therefore gets stressed and needs to settle.
When you move it up a size, just like cleaning You leave one item which has its scent on, as you move it over you move one or two items with which it is familiar, therefore it just has more space but the scent remains the same.

Edited by - Stumpy on 07/08/2009 19:29:30
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  19:15:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my corn is 11 months and will be going into a 3ft viv very soon. within the next month so he has a nice birthday present..

Good explanation Remmy.

Edited by - hillzi on 18/08/2009 20:59:28
Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  20:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes snakey could move up to a bigger viv but this can still be really stressfull so the week of not handling IS advised. Also have you thought about putting a divider in to the new viv? Going up to a 3ft is a bif leap maybe give him 2ft to start with and keep one end for storing all your snakey gubbins? I also use the dirty substrate in the new viv too just to put the snakes scent in to the new viv. Also when it comes to packing out the viv remember snakey doesnt care what hides look like so boxes and plant pot etc are just as good and a fraction of the cost of Exo hides.

Hope this helps.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  20:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
like others have said just pack it out with plenty of places for him to hide and he should be fine when i move mont over im thinking of doing it on a feeding day and then i wont be tempted to handle him for 48hours while hes settling in

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  21:00:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good plan Hannah ;)

Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  21:18:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

my corn is 11 months and will be going into a 3ft viv very soon. within the next month so he has a nice birthday present..

Good explanation Remmy.

Thank you hillzi
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

58 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  21:48:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Do what HannahB said its a lot easier, thats what i did with my snake i got her out her old viv, fed her, put her in her new one she was nervouse at first but she got use to it, i think it also helped (like others have said) put some thing your snake knows in their and some of the old substrate in as well BUT if you feed your snake and put it in its new viv be aware your snakey might regurgertate its food as it could be nervous so if you dont feel comfortable with that dont do it!!!
Madgirl.
Go to Top of Page

inkiepixie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
445 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2009 :  09:31:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you know when it's time to move up to a bigger viv? You can see a pic of Bella in hers here http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5144 - does she need a bigger one soon?

0.0.1 classic: Bellatrix
0.1.0 anery (het amel): Luna
1.0.0 hypo lavender (het amel ph stripe): Orion
1.1.0 kittycats: George and Pixie
1.0.0 hound: Shadow
1.0.0 husband: Louis

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2009 :  09:40:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think she fine in it imo.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2009 :  08:58:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't there some sort of guideline that if snake is longer than length of front and side added together then it needs to move up in size? xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000