Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  21:33:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi we have had our corn snake (ultramel motley) for 24 hours now, it our first time ever to have any type of reptile.
after having him out for a while he stops moving all together and keeps really really still, you can just see his little body breathing, just tonight he curled up on my lap and never moved for about an hour till i moved!! is this normal and is he ok??????????

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  21:41:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum. How old is your corn? You shouldnt really handle him for a week to give him time to settle in. He is probably quite scared.

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 10/08/2009 21:45:28
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  21:44:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Remmy

Hi and welcome to the forum. How old is your corn? You shouldnt really handle him for a week to give him time to settle in. He is probably quite scared.

thank you, he's two months old, he has a good look around and moves about for quit a while then just stops like he's gone asleep!!!

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 10/08/2009 21:45:52
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  22:00:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is probably looking for somewhere to hide and as he cant hide anywhere just keeps still to feel safe.

Oops sorry Kehhlyr
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  22:22:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so would it be best to leave him for a few days????????
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  22:45:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would leave him for a week. Put a worn sock in his faun/viv so he gets used to your scent.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  22:55:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here is our little fella dodge!!!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  22:57:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
seems like a good idea, dont quit know about a sock tho, dont want to scare him away forever!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  23:03:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice snake. The sock has worked with all 3 of mine, though i think they behave just to get rid off the smell.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  23:09:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cheers for the advice, hope it works!!!
Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  23:57:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A small piece of cloth that you have had on your body for a day,if placed in the enclosure with the snake should help it identify you.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  02:30:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What also helps is, although you are leaving him alone, keep changing his water each day and straightening his substrate....that way your smell gets into his viv naturally and he becomes used to your hand being in there. Respect his space and dont go anywhere near him to begin with. It just takes time and patience. When you do take him out I would definitely only do it for short periods of time, like 15mins, so he can get used to it - an hour out of his viv must have been very stressful for him at the moment. You can build up the time of handling as you and he get used to each other. Not sure if this is the right advice but am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, which is the great thing about this forum! Welcome, by the way. xxx

Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  09:47:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

What also helps is, although you are leaving him alone, keep changing his water each day and straightening his substrate....that way your smell gets into his viv naturally and he becomes used to your hand being in there. Respect his space and dont go anywhere near him to begin with. It just takes time and patience. When you do take him out I would definitely only do it for short periods of time, like 15mins, so he can get used to it - an hour out of his viv must have been very stressful for him at the moment. You can build up the time of handling as you and he get used to each other. Not sure if this is the right advice but am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, which is the great thing about this forum! Welcome, by the way. xxx

Good advice Kellog
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  11:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Remmy, still very wary about giving advice cos I know I have a lot to learn but have also learnt a lot already from the forum. Know that if I say something wrong I will be corrected fast and will appreciate the correction - these mods are great at giving advice and keeping an eye on advice given by others! xxx

Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  11:58:58  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and wlecome. hope you sort everything out. nice snake btw. amel motley?
Go to Top of Page

CAL
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  13:50:21  Show Profile  Visit CAL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Monty generally, slithers around for bit, then stays dead still (almost like he's watching tv), slithers around a bit more and then looks for somewhere to hide. He's been doing that for years.

0.0.1 Cornsnake: Monty, 10 years old, 5ft 3".
Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  14:07:45  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums, nice looking snakey.

Like others have said give the little guy at least a week to settle in before you handle him, also bare in mind you shouldn't handle him for 48 hours after a feed or when he is about to shed (as they become partially blind).

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page

Taz Devil
Hatchling

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  14:17:30  Show Profile  Visit Taz Devil's Homepage  Click to see Taz Devil's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forums. Like you I have only been a snake keeper since June. I originally put my corn into a RUB and left her to her own devices for an entire week, I changed the water daily and moved bits and bobs around so that she got out and about to explore her new surroundings.

I fed her 2 weeks after having her and now feed her every thursday so that she has time to digest ready for me handling her on Saturday night.

I originally had her out for about 5 mins a day, and have increased this by 5 mins every week since.

The best advice I have been given is:-

When going to handle her make sure you do it away from the head and just get a hold and remove her from the tank/RUB/Viv, try to avoid going in and pulling your hand away sharply if spooked as this not onnly makes you nervous but the snake as well.

0.1.0 Corn Snake (Sid)

Sids Live WebCam
http://snakecam.tazworld.co.uk

Edited by - Taz Devil on 11/08/2009 14:27:23
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

395 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  17:33:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum, and heed the sound advice, as Taz has said. Little and often, gentle but firm, no sudden movements and dont forget to cleanse your hands before and after you handle snakey. Good husbandry is key to rep keeping as I'm sure others will agree.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  22:38:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds like the people above me have already given all the info i could offer you...lol
welcome btw... your snake is stunning

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  23:45:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had Sid out yesterday and in the garden.
He was moving around quite normally then stopped, This is a sign I know as he started to raise his tail.
I made sure it was clear of me and my clothing and he did his bowel movement ( you know what I mean), it dropped in the garden, I then returned him to his viv, no need to clean it this time.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000