Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  22:21:09  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok get some ReptoBoost or Critical Care and start putting that in his water straight away! that should help him keep going and hopefully be an appetite stimulant too.

try feeding quite small prey items, rat fuzzies if you can get them as he could feel overfaced with a rat, as you've previously said.

has anything else changed? his environment? location of his viv? anything? and where about in the country are you as there may be somebody able to help you.....

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

93 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  14:08:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ill be honest id have him put to sleep if he cant even drink from the water bowl what chance has he got ?

Paul
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  22:39:10  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ooooh Paul you're harsh!!

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  22:41:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul, to be honest I do understand you. It is all very well saying that while there is breath there is hope, but what about his quality of life and you have no idea whether he is in pain. As long as you and the vet (who you trust) feel certain that there is nothing you can do for him or any way to discover what is wrong with him then you have to make a decision - a horrible decision that any pet owner prays they never have to make. I hope it doesnt come to that, but if it does then you are in my thoughts and prayers. xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

395 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  19:42:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's the update Bezzie?

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  20:23:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by biglad52002

ill be honest id have him put to sleep if he cant even drink from the water bowl what chance has he got ?

Paul

unfortunately have to agree, and believe me I've had to make that decision with 3 horses, and numerous other animals (and everyone with horses will agree they are like your best friend) so I know how heart breaking it can be. If you get to the stage with an animal were you can honestly say there is nothing more you can do, then you've gone too far- your animal is suffering.

stand back and see your snake from a non-biased point of view. If it was someone else's snake, how would you feel? I do not mean in ANY way to sound cold or heartless, and I really feel for you. good luck to you and your snake.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

184 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  23:46:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
god SB you took me back to the day my gelding was done, its the hardest decicion any animal lover will ever have to make and im sure we are all thinking of you.

1.0.0 Amel stripe(Dezzi)
0.1.0 Snow Corn (Rizzie)
0.1.0 Carolina Corn (Hotaru)
2.2.0 western hognose (Huff and Puff)(Missy and Pharoh)
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  10:50:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by huffnpuff

god SB you took me back to the day my gelding was done, its the hardest decicion any animal lover will ever have to make and im sure we are all thinking of you.

sorry to have reminded you of that painful day but it just shows we all know what this poor person is going through.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  16:19:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry not reported back for a while. I think it may be that I have to consider putting him down. He has turned away from all food, tried bashing a rat pup, making rat pup soup and offering a chick. He did take himself to the water bowl a day or two ago but hasn't drunk since that I know of. Last animal I had put down was my horse but that was an easy decision as she had colic, was clearly in pain and nothing else could be done. This is harder as I need to make sure I have done all I can so I don't spend years regretting it and wishing I had done more. Will let you know what happens, and thank you for all your support it means loads.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  19:25:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Bezzie, I wish we could do more. Would hate to be in your situation. You are in our thoughts. xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  22:13:37  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bezzie you should have an email from me...........

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  13:35:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just spoken to vet. They can have him in for another blood test and possible hopitalisation to see if they can get him to eat/tube him to see if that helps.
The original vet is back Monday so I wouldn't book him in before then.
Any thoughts? Is this the right way to go?
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  14:31:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its your snake, but what are the odds about this working, weighed up against how stressful it could be for your snake?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  22:34:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SexyBear has asked the right question - what is best for your snake? You need to weigh up the pros and cons of putting him through what would probably be stressful bloodtests and forcefeeding, which may give him chance to live and get well but the result is unknown, or you do nothing and watch him waste away, or you put him out of his misery. Sorry, dont think I'v put that very clearly.
Has he drunk again recently? Do you handle him, what is he like if you do?
Definitely wait for your original vet if you trust him and ask him, if it was his snake what would he do??
xxx

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  09:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Couldnt put it better myself Kellog!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  13:07:57  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
to put the other side across.........

my middle Dumerils boa fed 4 times in the whole of last year with his previous owner......... 4 TIMES IN A YEAR! i bought him in about March this year, he wasn't what i wanted...... he should have been 5 times the size he was and will take years to be big enough to be Marilyn's boyfriend......... but i had to give him a chance. he's now fed 8 times with me and is finally starting to look better.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

589 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  13:59:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i also think if he is drinking then to wait...

Rat World, Frozen Rats/Multis/Gerbils/Mice

T.0845 250 0020

2.3.0. Royals.1.2.0 Corns. RIP Sadie

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  14:04:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes he is drinking again. All I do is show him the water bowl and when he touches the water with his tongue he drinks.
I don't want to put him through unneccessary trauma but I also don't want to give up too soon. I assume I am right that 12 is about middle aged so he should have a good few more years in him.
He is gentle when being handled, if he is near the door he seems interested in getting out to explore, but he does spend most of his time resting. He has always appeared timid when it comes to his food, ie moving it sends him running in the opposite direction
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  23:08:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is good news he is drinking and that he is still ok being handled - maybe there is some hope..... xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  21:00:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got some critical care, put it in his water and he has drunk it. I know it wasn't as much as he needs but it's a start!!
Hate the shop I got it from, saw one of the assistants prodding a terrified youngster with a plastic lid, it had lost a tooth previously from biting another one.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000