New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2009 :  00:25:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi folks,

Ive got a normal carolina, born March 15 2009.

Been reading this forum for a while so I thought Id introduce myself.
Ive seen some lovely corns on here, and I must admit I'm particularly attracted to the anery's:)

I went the Doncaster show a few weeks ago but didn't buy anything, however I'm going the kidderminster show in a few weeks and there's something on my mind ...

When a seller advertises a snake as "likes being handled" I'm unsure how to take that statement, that's because I 'assume' a snake has to get used to your smell and gain a sense of trust before it "likes being handled", so while the snake might be perfectly happy being handled by it's usual handler it might not be so happy about getting handled by someone else (or someone elses smell) it doesn't recognise - is this correct ?
Let's say I bought an adult JCP that the owner said "loves being handled", well if the JCP doesn't recognise my smell it isn't going to be as easy to handle as the owner suggested.

So i guess my question is do snakes care who's handling them once they get used to being handled .. ?

Went on a bit there didn't I :) The Mrs tells me I can ramble on sometimes too :)

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2009 :  03:07:44  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hiya, and welcome to the forum.

When people say it likes being handled, what is probably meant is that it is used to being handled.

Snakes that are used to being handled probably don't really care much about who is handling them so long as the handler is confident and not jittery.
Obviously if they have recently handled something else that the snake may take an interest in then the snakes response could be different.

A snake that lets itself get picked up = a snake that 'likes being handled'.
A snake that strikes when you go to pick it up = a snake that doesn't like being handled.

That's how i'd read it.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 25/07/2009 03:08:13
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000