Fake plants
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

369 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  21:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So where is the best place to get fake plants from?
and what is safe for a viv? plastic or silk? or whatever
and will they try to eat them?

0.0.1 Striped Cali King "Hunter"
0.0.1 Snow corn "Stockton"
0.0.1 Blue tongue "Thompson"
1.0.0 Cat "Jaws"

My photobucket, http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/kevindollar/ Some randoms in there but mostly reps

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  21:35:42  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Id like to know where to get them aswell.
Fake plants seem so expensive for what they are. Ive heard you can pick them up cheap at garden centres, havent had the chance to look yet though.
The silk ones seem softer if you know what I mean, I think they look better too.

www.youtube.com/BlueTongueDan
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  21:41:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an exo-terra big plant (in one way to describe it - looks like canabis but it isn't!!)

that's for sale aswell as a waterbowl and coconut hide for a few quid...
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

369 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  21:42:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ye but will the reptiles bite at them? doubt the snake would but i wouldnt be surprised of the skink had a nibble lol stupid begger

1.0.0 Cat "Jaws"

My photobucket, http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/kevindollar/ Some randoms in there but mostly reps

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  22:41:10  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My snakes have no problem with my plastic plants, being carnivorous they wont try to eat them.
My Beardies on the other hand regularly have a nibble on my plastic plants, so I have to check them regularly.

I bought 2 6ft lengths of fake vine from Wilkos for a fiver a few weeks back. Always worth looking in places like that.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

369 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  22:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
will it harm them if they do take a bite? could it get stuck in there stomach or would they just pass as normal?

1.0.0 Cat "Jaws"

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  23:24:15  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It could pass through, it might not. It's difficult to say really. Some animals have passed some weird things.
I put some blue aquarium gravel in my beardie tank a while back, because it looked nice. Aeris went bolting over and ate 3 bits before I had finished putting it in.
Needless to say I scooped her out and hoover the gravel up pretty quick smart. She passed the gravel about a day later. But I was lucky I think, it could've caused massive problems.

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  00:08:14  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i used topay the £8 or what ever it is for exo-tera oes but found my local DIY/garden center do 6ft ones for £3 each

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

369 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  00:17:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cool also can u use live plants if you grow from seeds?

1.0.0 Cat "Jaws"

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  00:24:03  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kevind1989

cool also can u use live plants if you grow from seeds?

i wouldnt recomend it.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

369 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  00:29:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok wasnt sure lol but i prob wouldnt anyway

1.0.0 Cat "Jaws"

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  00:43:52  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Again, it depends on the variety of the plant. I wouldn't do it with beardies, but snakes shouldn't be to bad with SOME live plants from seed.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2510 I used grass in this one. But I also grew the grass and knew that there was nothing potentially harmful in it.

/edit
Just found the original post, 11th may 2008. http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=250&whichpage=2

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 22/07/2009 00:46:25
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  00:55:55  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kevind1989

ok wasnt sure lol but i prob wouldnt anyway

Is grass ok to use ?

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  01:47:59  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't recommend prolonged straight out of the garden or from turf, doing similar to what I done cuts any risks down to the minimum.
By rights the only risk you should have growing grass from nuked or cooked soil is any chemicals that could be on the grass seeds themselves.

Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  15:31:39  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
African violets are supposed to be ok for snakes and they are pretty to ^^

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  16:26:44  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There is a toxic plant list stickied on the forum.
Have a look on there.

Go to Top of Page

Flatpack63
Hatchling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  17:18:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could always look on ebay.
I got some great plants at very reasonable prices.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2009 :  23:34:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
iv got some fake silk leaves in my viv and mont loves them.. he often curls around them at night or stops for photos on there lol he likes it so much he shed on it lol plus it makes the viv look brighter and adds a bit of colour to the all white k.towel lol

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000