retained eye caps.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

King_Kruss
Egg

United Kingdom
87 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  19:17:37  Show Profile  Click to see King_Kruss's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hey guys. i know this question isnt about corns in general but it may be of use to many ppl. my red tailed boa is having a reali bad shed. not long had her and she was mid shed when i brought her. wrong i know but im glad i did she wasnt being looked after properly. long and short of it is, regular baths am helping with her removing the remaining skin but unfortunatly her eye caps are still on. ive just bathed her and got a lot off her, ive placed a wet towel in the viv with her and her bro as advised by a vet. im not as nervous as i used to be with her but i am anxious because she is a lil unpredictable and i dont want to stress her to much. ive read a lot of posts on the net n things like that and a lot of them say it may be an idea to wait untill her next shed.

any advice please. thank you

also sorry forgot to mention, my snow corn shed for the first time on 26th of june and then again yesterday. to me i think thats a lil close together whats your opinion?!?

cheers guys xxx

0.1 Normal Corn, Xena (CB01)
1.0 Anery Corn, Manson (CB05)
1.0 Ghost Corn, Jayger (CB06)
0.1 Snow Corn, Rellik (CB08)
0.1 Anery Corn, Pandora (CB09)
1.0 Rat x Corn, Optimus (CB09)
0.1 Royal Python, Ophelia (CB09)
0.3 Cats, Milly, Phoebe, Smooch
0.1 Labrador, Sasha
2.3 Mice
and a bowl of fish

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  19:39:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you still keeping her on sand? Change it for paper or something like aspen. Sand wont aid shedding and its not good for their skin in general.

I would take the towel out straight away. Towel = furry = mistaken identity = dead snake. I've seen a pic of a burm that ate a towel, not pretty. If you use something like moss, it wont cause impaction and the snake is alot less likly to be interested in it anyway.

Is the snake housed with its actual brother? Either way, you need to split them up. You dont want the snakes breeding as you havent had them very long.

FInaly, about removing the eye caps, how big is the snake? Either let it soak in a container filled with water (with a lid) or give it a damp hide. After that try removing them with a cotton bud.

Go to Top of Page

King_Kruss
Egg

United Kingdom
87 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  19:53:30  Show Profile  Click to see King_Kruss's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thank you for your advice matty. i have taken the towel out now. the boa's am only 1 year old atm and as i see it atm theres not to much risk of them mating prematurly. yes i keep them on sand and thank you for your advice i will change it to aspen as soon as i can. only reason they are on sand is because thats how they came(i know im a bit of a noob but atleast i ask questions). anjo is 3ft long but as u can imagine she is a lil unpredictable not being able to see properly.

there is no way i could house them seperate there isnt room to keep them both so i think i may get rid of one.

any other advice anyone?!?

thank you very much for your help matty

0.1 Labrador, Sasha
2.3 Mice
and a bowl of fish
Go to Top of Page

cumbrian eejit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  20:02:57  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
you could try putting her in a damp pillow case for a bit, with her moving about against the damp fabric it can sometimes help loosen the old shed.
scott

lost track of the day's now, but I'm getting my amel stripe corn on the 2nd of August!!!
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  22:16:51  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Or you could get a tub and cut a hole at the top of it and fill it with damp moss and make sure the hole u cut at the top is big enough for your snake to get in it and that will help with the shedding.

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  22:48:37  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by King_Kruss

as i see it atm theres not to much risk of them mating prematurly.

quote:

yes i keep them on sand and thank you for your advice i will change it to aspen as soon as i can.

quote:

there is no way i could house them seperate there isnt room to keep them both so i think i may get rid of one.

You're play a couple of risky games here mate which could end up with large vet bills or even worse the death of one or both of them.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

King_Kruss
Egg

United Kingdom
87 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  22:57:55  Show Profile  Click to see King_Kruss's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
please black i asked for advice not critacism. at the end of the day no one knows everything and atleast i have the balls to ask questions. my 2 boas are praticaly inseperable where the one is the other isnt far behind. i understand i will have to house them seperate eventually but rite now unfortunatly i dont have the facilities. they have been together since birth as far as i know and rite now they seem happy holding each others tails. yes i have been doing my homeowrk and yes i understand that some changes need to be made and trust me in time they will. i love snakes as much as anyone on this forum and to tell me im dooing apoopjob reali doesnt help anyone. like i said i welcome advice just dont tell me im doing it wrong and not try and help

0.1 Labrador, Sasha
2.3 Mice
and a bowl of fish
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  23:06:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He wasnt saying you were doing "apoopjob", he was highlighting pontential problems.

And also, your boas dont love each other, they arnt inseperable, they dont hold tails. They are competing for the best basking and hiding spots.

You can sort the sand problem out tomorrow really cant you? Remove it and line the viv with newspaper. Then either decide if you can mange housing them seperatly or sell one of them.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2009 :  10:03:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
with regard to the eye caps, a good trick is to get a page turner cap (the rubber ones for your finger) and very very gently rub it over your snakes eye- the cap should come right off.

I agree with the guys above, you need to separate your lovely boas- snakes dont really care what age they are with regard to mating.

good luck.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000