A few newbie questions on handling
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dr Lupus
Egg

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  17:25:08  Show Profile  Visit Dr Lupus's Homepage  Click to see Dr Lupus's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I was wondering what the best way to approach handling with a month old corn was.

I wasn't told when I took him/her home that I should leave them alone for a week then I read it here and got a tad worried. I left Lucius alone for the first day to allow him to settle in. Then the day after I just started putting my hand in a few centemetres away and last night i tried stroke him but he ran off so I took the hint and left him be.

I was hoping I won't have done any major damage to relations between me and Lucius by introducing myself so early. :s

Plus when I can handle Lucius whats the best way to start? Just by introducing myself slowly or by picking him up straight away?

Thanks for any help in advance guys,
Li x

2.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake (Lucius & Draco)
1.0.0 Caramel Ghost Corn Snake (Snake)
0.1.0 Snow Tessera Corn Snake (Ferguson)
1.0.0 California King Snake (Riddle)
0.2.0 Ferrets (Lisbeth & Bane)
0.1.0 Cat (Hannah)

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  17:29:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First off, leave it for a week to settle itself. After that try feeding it and if it feeds, leave it for 2 days to digest. If it doesnt feed, leave it around 5 days and try again.

After the first feed you can start handling. You can either open the tub, and let it come out by itself (or move out of cover). Or you can go in very deliberatly and get it out. Either way be gentle, slow and dont move over the snake.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  18:12:33  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
for a month old corn, you'll probably need to dive straight in and get hold of him otherwise he'll try to scarper off

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  20:15:35  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As matty said leave a week then feed then handle 2 days later,i would go straight in and scoop him up

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

102 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  20:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you just have to get in there and pick it up, i have 4 hatchlings at the mo and thats what i did and now they are calm and like bein handled.....
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

395 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  21:45:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Li and welcome. Have you looked at the care sheet on the home page? Or you could try the advice GingerPony offers on the forum, you can't go far wrong with them, and as the others have said, leave Lucious alone to settle, let him feed in 5-7 days, allow 2-3 days for digesting his food, and then be firm, slow, confident and gentle, all at the same time...simples (honest, it's easier done than said). All the best with the little guy

Edited by - n/a on 23/07/2009 21:47:06
Go to Top of Page

Dr Lupus
Egg

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2009 :  07:44:26  Show Profile  Visit Dr Lupus's Homepage  Click to see Dr Lupus's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice guys :)- just leaving him alone for a day is helping loads he's coming out of his cave alot more and lookin round everywhere - he's taken to lounging on the top of his viv atm lol

0.1.0 Cat (Hannah)
Go to Top of Page

curragh
Egg

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2009 :  17:10:34  Show Profile  Send curragh a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
yeah leave him for a while wen i got mine of my mate it was the same i did that and nw he cant wait for me to take him out
o and welcome btw.
Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2009 :  20:28:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome, I had a similar worry when I got mine.
He snapped at me, It turned out he as shedding so he was forgiven.
I just reach in and if he is in a hide I tap it lightly be fore lifting it and grabbing him, (Well picking him up)
He is now so tae even though he has just been fed he is still poking his head out of the hide and watching me.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2009 :  22:12:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i left my lil guy for a week to settle in and got a quick hold before i fed him for the first time (was getting impatient lol)
i have to be honest tho as its only in the last few days that hes really started to come out of his hides and actually investigate his new home - he did investigate before but only when i was putting him back and he was going back to his hide.. now hes all over the place investigating lol

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Dr Lupus
Egg

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2009 :  07:46:43  Show Profile  Visit Dr Lupus's Homepage  Click to see Dr Lupus's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the advice guys :) - I'm gonna have a go at picking him up in a couple of days now hes spending most of his days out of his hide. :)

0.1.0 Cat (Hannah)
Go to Top of Page

Dr Lupus
Egg

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2009 :  11:33:12  Show Profile  Visit Dr Lupus's Homepage  Click to see Dr Lupus's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
UPDATE: Ok so I tried handling him last night but he's still really really twitchy runninng off and burying himself. Would I be right in assuming he won't want to be handled naturally and this will come with time?

0.1.0 Cat (Hannah)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000