Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  00:19:31  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Can any one help me please as champagne is weird he keeps going in his cave and then coming out of it every 10mins and goes towards the cool side and has a dip in the water and then goes back to the cave lol is this normal for him to do this ?

Also do i let him settle in the viv with out handling for 7days as i just got him today and after he keeps dipping him self in the water is it best if i change the water as he keeps going in it and im getting paranoid when his head goes under the water i think he will drown help me please im really worried and dont know what to do shal i make his water bowl more shallow ?

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  00:21:15  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

Can any one help me please as champagne is weird he keeps going in his cave and then coming out of it every 10mins and goes towards the cool side and has a dip in the water and then goes back to the cave lol is this normal for him to do this ?

Also do i let him settle in the viv with out handling for 7days as i just got him today and after he keeps dipping him self in the water is it best if i change the water as he keeps going in it and im getting paranoid when his head goes under the water i think he will drown help me please im really worried and dont know what to do shal i make his water bowl more shallow ?

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

369 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  00:24:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you should Leave your corn for a week without handling them when u get them, just change water daily, Maybe your mat is too hot and hes overheating then going into the water to cool off,
do you have a hide on the cold side of the viv?
is the mat inside the tank or outside?
if inside is there anything between the snake and the mat?
are you using a stat?

0.0.1 Striped Cali King "Hunter"
0.0.1 Snow corn "Stockton"
0.0.1 Blue tongue "Thompson"
1.0.0 Cat "Jaws"

My photobucket, http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/kevindollar/ Some randoms in there but mostly reps

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

369 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  00:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also i dont think he would drown in it, snakes can swim

1.0.0 Cat "Jaws"

My photobucket, http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/kevindollar/ Some randoms in there but mostly reps

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  00:32:34  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kevind1989

you should Leave your corn for a week without handling them when u get them, just change water daily, Maybe your mat is too hot and hes overheating then going into the water to cool off,
do you have a hide on the cold side of the viv?
is the mat inside the tank or outside?
if inside is there anything between the snake and the mat?
are you using a stat?

The heat mat is under the news papper so, i.e heat mat then 8 sheets of newspaper on top of it and then the bedding stuff on top of the newspaper and yes i have a thermostat and set at 27degrees and i dont have another hide at the cool side yet i only got him today and hes my first snake and im so paranoid

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

369 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  00:38:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
put a hide in the cold side, a wee box with a hole in it anything will do, and she might just go in there and stop jumping into the water all the time

1.0.0 Cat "Jaws"

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  00:42:27  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

put a hide in the cold side, a wee box with a hole in it anything will do, and she might just go in there and stop jumping into the water all the time

ok but i dont think it will be as big as his main hide - cave as thats a big one i got him, do i have the temp set at the right one or does it need to be lower ?

Wish List:

Edited by - hiper2009 on 22/07/2009 00:42:54
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

369 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  00:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the temp sounds fine i work in far net cel but i think its like 30 c 80 f
aslong as he can fit in the hide nicely it should be fine, but he deffo needs one on each side

1.0.0 Cat "Jaws"

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  00:49:39  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

aslong as he can fit in the hide nicely it should be fine, but he deffo needs one on each side

Oh ok what could i use as a tempory second hide until i get down to reptile store

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  00:50:48  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

And also do i need to raise the temp up to 30C or is it fine on 27C ? whats better for my champagne ?

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

369 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  01:14:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i used the box for my mobile phone and temp sounds about right

1.0.0 Cat "Jaws"

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

369 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  01:19:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry for short reply aol was down for a bit had to use phone but ye just find a wee box or something like that even a cd case opened up so its like a wee pyramid could do at a push just push it right up against the back so it has 3 sides, unless someone else can give better advice
or a toilet roll tube or something like that

1.0.0 Cat "Jaws"

Edited by - n/a on 22/07/2009 01:21:09
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  01:49:25  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
righty to start with i am guessing you are taking the temp reading trom the dialon the stat that willbe incorrect you need a digi thermometer to calabrate it.
aim for 28-30c at the hot end.
get a hide in the cool end.
if it keeps bathing other the next day or so check it for mites. (have you treated the substrate at all?)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

369 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  01:57:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never thought mites
but try to help hehe

1.0.0 Cat "Jaws"

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  09:24:21  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I had thought of mites due to recent arrival of the snake, but decided not to mention it yet, as it could mean having to lift the snake out and have a decent look over everything and seeing as it's only a recent arrival it wouldn't of helped the settling in period.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  09:56:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

quote:

And also do i need to raise the temp up to 30C or is it fine on 27C ? whats better for my champagne ?

I like mine in the fridge for an hour and then serve in a crystal flute lol.

Seriously though, calm down! Your snake is most probably thermoregulating, which (if you do a bit of reading up on it) you will see is completely normal. Also, bear in mind that the new house for him will probably be different with regards to temp., smell and hides, so he may be feeling a little nervous.

Also, make sure your hide isnt too big for Champagne- you said you had a large cave for him? snakes will feel make secure and safe if their body can touch the sides of the hide.

Hope this helps!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  11:29:28  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
u mention u have thermostat set at 27.. do u have a digital thermometer???? my stats are set 27 but they go go about 3-4 degrees after they switch off..so end up with 30-31 degrees.. the dial may say 27 but the actual temp could poss be higher..hence therm.:O)

love my animals more than i like people.
the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
1 m, 4 ft candy cane corn.. aka kellogg..
1 carolina corn-claret/carrot
Newest additon.. f whiteout corn-pastel??
1african house snake - Bob
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  11:29:38  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Or make a hide! In the diy section there is a thread on how to make them, http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3138 I made bams but uses a couple of tumblers upside down for the mold. Its a cheeper way then keep byuing hides till they are fully grown!

Edited by - devilsmistress on 22/07/2009 11:31:06
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  12:08:41  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok guys i dont know what he is doing but i saw him at 1.15am getting in to the water bowl and then i have just woke up and its now 12.04pm and he is still in the waterbowl i think he is sleeping in it ?? as sooon as he moves im going to change that water but that tempory water bowl will become his tempory hide for the cool end and i get a smaller water bowl so he cant drown in it.

Also its going to be champagne's feeding day tomorrow do i feed him or skip his feed until he has settled in his home?

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

369 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  12:17:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should skip the Feed i think.
then feed him at the end of the weeks settleing in.
then Leave him alone for 48 hours to digest his meal or he may regurgitate it

1.0.0 Cat "Jaws"

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  12:23:38  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

I had thought of mites due to recent arrival of the snake, but decided not to mention it yet, as it could mean having to lift the snake out and have a decent look over everything and seeing as it's only a recent arrival it wouldn't of helped the settling in period.

i thought it would be safer to check than just leave but i have never delt with mites.

i would skip this feed.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000