Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  12:23:58  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by punumbear

u mention u have thermostat set at 27.. do u have a digital thermometer???? my stats are set 27 but they go go about 3-4 degrees after they switch off..so end up with 30-31 degrees.. the dial may say 27 but the actual temp could poss be higher..hence therm.:O)

Yes have a thermometer as well but that is reading 29.4 and the thermostat is set at 27 i also have a manual thermometer and that says 87 fahrenheit which is around 29ish.

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  12:27:08  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sexychef

quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

I had thought of mites due to recent arrival of the snake, but decided not to mention it yet, as it could mean having to lift the snake out and have a decent look over everything and seeing as it's only a recent arrival it wouldn't of helped the settling in period.

i thought it would be safer to check than just leave but i have never delt with mites.

i would skip this feed.

Shal i not tempt him with his food and if he dont take it then i can miss it for the week after for him i dont like to see a animal go with out food

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  12:45:12  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
dont offer the food at all. your snake will be able to go a few months happily without food. in the wild there is not a steady supply of mice that come up to them ever 7 days lol

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  12:57:52  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

dont offer the food at all. your snake will be able to go a few months happily without food. in the wild there is not a steady supply of mice that come up to them ever 7 days lol

Oh ok but is it not good to feed him on thursday is it due to him needing to settle down for 7days and if i skip his dinner tomorrow and then next thursday can i feed him 2 small mice thats what hes on but instead of giving one i can give 2 cant i due to that he will miss one feed this week

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  13:00:49  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

I had thought of mites due to recent arrival of the snake, but decided not to mention it yet, as it could mean having to lift the snake out and have a decent look over everything and seeing as it's only a recent arrival it wouldn't of helped the settling in period.

i thought it would be safer to check than just leave but i have never delt with mites.

how will i know if he has mites but he cant have it i only got him yesterday and the bedding is brand spanking new from the reptile shop, and if he has it how do i get rid of the mites will it affect him really bad what does it do to him ?

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

369 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  13:15:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.boaconstrictor.de/com/Haltung/Milben.htm

thats a link off of another thread i found on here, hope this helps

0.0.1 Striped Cali King "Hunter"
0.0.1 Snow corn "Stockton"
0.0.1 Blue tongue "Thompson"
1.0.0 Cat "Jaws"

My photobucket, http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/kevindollar/ Some randoms in there but mostly reps

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  13:19:11  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kevind1989

http://www.boaconstrictor.de/com/Haltung/Milben.htm

thats a link off of another thread i found on here, hope this helps

Thank you .

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  14:20:34  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What happens if i feed my champagne on thursday and it will be the 3rd day for him in the viv !

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

369 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  15:50:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well i dont know the best answer for this, but really you should leave them alone for the week unless u HAVE to handle them, there is no harm in her missing one weeks feed, snakes can go a surprisingly long time without feeding without causing harm.

1.0.0 Cat "Jaws"

My photobucket, http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/kevindollar/ Some randoms in there but mostly reps

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

369 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  15:51:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also just to let you know ouve posted your Sig picture twice

1.0.0 Cat "Jaws"

Go to Top of Page

cumbrian eejit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  16:14:32  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
please don't take this the wrong way, but please listen to what other's have said,
Leave your snake alone for 7days minimum! Only go in the vivarium to change the water,
Your temp's sound fine at the warm end, just make sure that s/he has a suitable hide at both ends, these can be anything from the end of a cereal box right up to the proper rep hides from a store, just make sure that the snake can feel all sides of the hide.
As for feeding, once the 7 days have gone by just give him/her a single mouse as you would normally.
Scott.

lost track of the day's now, but I'm getting my amel stripe corn on the 2nd of August!!!
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  16:17:30  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also just to let you know ouve posted your Sig picture twice

Sorry didnt relise

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  16:22:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know how worried you are Hiper, you have waited for this snake and got a great set-up and everything and then you bring him home and he starts behaving in a way that is not what you would expect. DONT PANIC. Take the advice given here, definitely top of the list is a hide in each end and I would suggest changing waterbath into sopmething like a dogs bowl that is a lot shallower and also has rounded edges. He is getting used to a new environment and is propably pretty stressed out, which might account for the unusual behaviour but take your time, dont rush him. Certainly dont handle him for a week and then for only short periods, and I would also wait that period before feeding him - it really wont harm him. I know how much this goes against our nature as we want our best for our snakes and that means providing them with food and a home, but until he is happy in that home trying to feed him might just stress him out more. Each day check substrate for any mess and change drinking water, that way he gets used to your hand in his viv and your smell - but dont try and touch him. Then in a week try the feed. One way to check for mites might be to put paper kitchen towels down over top of substrate so he has to slide over them, you could then look and see if there are any black dots on it, indicating mites. Not sure about that but you can check it out with 'those who know best' LOL - the moderators. Just give him time...... xxx PS - if I have said anything wrong or unhelpful please could someone put me right, just trying to help but last thing I want to do is make matters worse!

Go to Top of Page

cumbrian eejit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  16:45:06  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
re:- mites, you could also take a look in the water bowl when you change the water, you might be able to see tiny black specks in the water, if there are any these will be the mites, if there are the best treatment to start off would be to change the substrate for paper towels, sterilize everything in the viv, including the viv. I know you can use treatment's such as olive oil and frontline, but I've never had any dealings with mites so I would not like to say for sure on how to treat.
Scott.

lost track of the day's now, but I'm getting my amel stripe corn on the 2nd of August!!!
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  19:21:17  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cumbrian eejit

re:- mites, you could also take a look in the water bowl when you change the water, you might be able to see tiny black specks in the water, if there are any these will be the mites, if there are the best treatment to start off would be to change the substrate for paper towels, sterilize everything in the viv, including the viv. I know you can use treatment's such as olive oil and frontline, but I've never had any dealings with mites so I would not like to say for sure on how to treat.
Scott.

Thank you for your post i have checked the water bowl and its clean ive changed the water 3 times today due to he keeps going in it.

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

cumbrian eejit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  19:28:05  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
you will only need to change the water once a day, unless he goes to the toilet in it, you need to keep your going into the viv at a bare minimum during the settling in period.

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  19:36:35  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

I know how worried you are Hiper, you have waited for this snake and got a great set-up and everything and then you bring him home and he starts behaving in a way that is not what you would expect. DONT PANIC. Take the advice given here, definitely top of the list is a hide in each end and I would suggest changing waterbath into sopmething like a dogs bowl that is a lot shallower and also has rounded edges. He is getting used to a new environment and is propably pretty stressed out, which might account for the unusual behaviour but take your time, dont rush him. Certainly dont handle him for a week and then for only short periods, and I would also wait that period before feeding him - it really wont harm him. I know how much this goes against our nature as we want our best for our snakes and that means providing them with food and a home, but until he is happy in that home trying to feed him might just stress him out more. Each day check substrate for any mess and change drinking water, that way he gets used to your hand in his viv and your smell - but dont try and touch him. Then in a week try the feed. One way to check for mites might be to put paper kitchen towels down over top of substrate so he has to slide over them, you could then look and see if there are any black dots on it, indicating mites. Not sure about that but you can check it out with 'those who know best' LOL - the moderators. Just give him time...... xxx PS - if I have said anything wrong or unhelpful please could someone put me right, just trying to help but last thing I want to do is make matters worse!

Your right , and by the way my name is Ash and i wont feed him tomorrow ill feed him next thursday, i have gave him another hide at the cool end its a tempory butter tub lol until i order one off the reptile website. and with the mites i looked in his water and it was clear no black dots or anything ill keep checking to be on the safe side.

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  20:05:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ash! Glad about the mites (I should have thought about checking the water). Also glad you have given him another hide. It will be interesting to see if his behaviour changes or if he is just a water-loving corn! xxx

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  20:29:33  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Hi Ash! Glad about the mites (I should have thought about checking the water). Also glad you have given him another hide. It will be interesting to see if his behaviour changes or if he is just a water-loving corn! xxx

Can you tell me what spot checking is as some one on here told me to do it but i have no idea what it means or is ... sorry i am just retarded and is my first snake.

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  23:11:00  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

you should Leave your corn for a week without handling them when u get them, just change water daily, Maybe your mat is too hot and hes overheating then going into the water to cool off,
do you have a hide on the cold side of the viv?
is the mat inside the tank or outside?
if inside is there anything between the snake and the mat?
are you using a stat?

Good questions.

quote:

righty to start with i am guessing you are taking the temp reading trom the dialon the stat that willbe incorrect you need a digi thermometer to calabrate it.
aim for 28-30c at the hot end.
get a hide in the cool end.
if it keeps bathing other the next day or so check it for mites. (have you treated the substrate at all?)

Good advice.

This is the problem with getting a snake before you have the setup up, running and checked. However, follow the advice given and it'll be ok.

Also, you mentioned a 'big' hide, snakes (especially young) are quite agoraphobic and like nothing better than squeezing into small spaces so that when they curl up they can feel all the sides and preferably the top of the hide too. It makes them feel safe.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000