Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

184 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2009 :  19:41:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
feeding day yesterday, left the pinkie in overnight, NO JOY. am at my wits end with her, have tried everythin i can think of, except live feeding or force feeding but am not at all keen on either of those as im not experienced enough with snakes to be comfortable. any other suggesgions gratefully recieved an big hugs in return(best i can do sorry). My hoggies eat better than her an they can be stubborn little beggers.

1.0.0 Amel stripe(Dezzi)
0.1.0 Snow Corn (Rizzie)
0.1.0 Carolina Corn (Hotaru)
2.2.0 western hognose (Huff and Puff)(Missy and Pharoh)

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2009 :  20:19:21  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How long has she been without feed now???
Have you tried braining? or pinky smoothies yet? or using a pinky to liberally wipe all inside a feeding tub and leave her in that for a while, it should really bring her hunting instincts out.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2009 :  20:28:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure how old your corn is huffnpuff (probably young as on pinkies) or how long its gone without eating, but dont give up hope. I joined this forum not so long ago cos my new corn (4 and a half yrs old) wasn't eating. These guys kept me calm and stopped me panicing. In the end he ate after 13 weeks, but obviously he is a lot larger and has more fat to lose. What is your corn's behavior like, normal or different to usual? Is it drinking? Handling ok? I cant give you the answers but you will get them from these snake lovers - they really know what they are talking about. The main thing they told me was 'dont panic but dont feel silly about worrying'. Hope your snake eats soon.
xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

184 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2009 :  20:36:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its only been a month since she ate but she is also underweight already, she is plenty active enough and gets really excited when i first introduce her dinner and shows lots of interest, i sometimes tink that she isnt sue wot to do with it. i think im worrying more coz shes only a baby at 8 weeks(ish)

1.0.0 Amel stripe(Dezzi)
0.1.0 Snow Corn (Rizzie)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

184 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2009 :  20:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kehhlyr wots a pinkie smothie? it sounds delish

1.0.0 Amel stripe(Dezzi)
0.1.0 Snow Corn (Rizzie)
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2009 :  21:04:27  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by huffnpuff

kehhlyr wots a pinkie smothie? it sounds delish

Mash a pinky up between a couple spoons, you end up with a lovely smelling liquidy-lumpy stuff.
Dump some into a small tub with the snake and leave somewhere for an hour or so. You HAVE to keep an eye on the snake though, as most snakes do tend to have a nibble on themselves when they get mouse flavouring on themselves.
I think it smells like raw mince, so it could taste nice.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2009 :  21:33:42  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
get a pinky press mush the pinky up and literally syringe it down her throat, beats forcing a pinky into their mouth whole.

love my animals more than i like people.
the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
1 m, 4 ft candy cane corn.. aka kellogg..
1 carolina corn-claret/carrot
Newest additon.. f whiteout corn-pastel??
1african house snake - Bob
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2009 :  18:07:50  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by punumbear

get a pinky press mush the pinky up and literally syringe it down her throat, beats forcing a pinky into their mouth whole.

what absolute cr@p! using a pinkie press is so much less stressful??

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2009 :  18:13:13  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:

i wouldnt use a pinkie press unless you really know how to.
sorry huffnpuff i cant remember what u house her in? maybe she feels insercure

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2009 :  00:14:58  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

Or maybe she is not warm enough to feed check heat source to see if its at the right temp

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.

Edited by - hiper2009 on 20/07/2009 00:16:23
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2009 :  00:21:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
make sure she has enough hides and the temp is right,
is she due to shed soon?my lil guy went off his food when he went blue..
Hope she eats soon x

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2009 :  11:38:01  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

lol easy tiger..red the description on one of these n that was what it appears to suggest .. ok so from the *what absolute crap*.. gee thanks i may have been misinformed

love my animals more than i like people.
the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
1 m, 4 ft candy cane corn.. aka kellogg..
1 carolina corn-claret/carrot
Newest additon.. f whiteout corn-pastel??
1african house snake - Bob
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

184 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2009 :  14:55:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
went into my local reptile shop, and he ended up force feeding her, but she would only eat a mouse tail, i have also been informed that she is younger than i was told when i bought her, shes probably about 4 weeks now, i have had her for 3 and was given feeding records wich dont match up, says that she had eaten 3 times NO CHANCE. also was told that she may not be eating because she dos not have a lamp, thought they were not essential, none of my snakes got lites, all mats and stats,(the others all eat first time every time) help

1.0.0 Amel stripe(Dezzi)
0.1.0 Snow Corn (Rizzie)
Go to Top of Page

cherry-milkshake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2009 :  17:02:24  Show Profile  Click to see cherry-milkshake's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

went into my local reptile shop, and he ended up force feeding her, but she would only eat a mouse tail, i have also been informed that she is younger than i was told when i bought her, shes probably about 4 weeks now, i have had her for 3 and was given feeding records wich dont match up, says that she had eaten 3 times NO CHANCE. also was told that she may not be eating because she dos not have a lamp, thought they were not essential, none of my snakes got lites, all mats and stats,(the others all eat first time every time) help

The lamp shouldn't make any difference to be honest, as long as the heat source you have is at the correct temp. I use lamps but NEVER with hatchlings as they're far more dangerous for them anyway (because of getting into the bulb guards etc). A simple thing you could try, which may or may not work (but always has for me), if your viv/faun is portable, move it and the heat source into a quiet room away from the main part of the house (bedroom is ideal), warm the pinkie slighly in warm water - brain it as well if you think it will help, then cover the whole viv with a towel, and leave overnight without disturbing once. Take a look in the morning, and you never know Worth a try anyway, and good luck x

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

395 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2009 :  20:21:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Er, what's a pinkey press?

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2009 :  21:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i did that with my lil guy the other day - defrosted a pinkie, brained it and whacked it in the microwave for 4secs to make it warm (but smells gross) and put it in his feeding tub which i then placed in his viv so he gets used to eating in his viv...
was there the next morning at 8am but gone by 12

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  00:13:38  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

lol easy tiger..red the description on one of these n that was what it appears to suggest .. ok so from the *what absolute crap*.. gee thanks i may have been misinformed

wow you read about it........

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  00:15:24  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ally

Er, what's a pinkey press?

basically a metal syringe that squashes the pinkie up then you pin down the snake and force it down it's throat...

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  00:26:21  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

i have also been informed that she is younger than i was told when i bought her, shes probably about 4 weeks now, i have had her for 3 and was given feeding records wich dont match up, says that she had eaten 3 times NO CHANCE. also was told that she may not be eating because she dos not have a lamp

a light will make no difference whatsoever, and snakes are particularly difficult to age as there are so many variables... have you tried contacting the vendor/breeder at all?
PB (one of hatchies) will take an assist feed, where you open his mouth with the pinkie then he latches onto it and does the rest...

Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  00:32:57  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pinkie smoothie that my friend used to get his eating was simply a pinkie placed in a blender with water, he would then have 2 bowls in the viv - one with the pinkie smoothie and another with plain water.
He held his snake just above the smoothie bowl and he drank it and got a taste for it.

Try it, it could get her instincts flaring.

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

369 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  01:00:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have u tried halfing a pinky?

0.0.1 Striped Cali King "Hunter"
0.0.1 Snow corn "Stockton"
0.0.1 Blue tongue "Thompson"
1.0.0 Cat "Jaws"

My photobucket, http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/kevindollar/ Some randoms in there but mostly reps

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000