Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Probably been done but how did you get into it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

43 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  00:18:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm quite surprised by the masses of young people into keeping reptiles of all sorts... some of them really quite exotic...

so c'mon, how did you first get into it?

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  00:22:10  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i was 21 when i got into snake my OH decided she wanted a corn snake (she had one when she was younger so had all the kit) and then it stemed from there a year and a half later i have 2corn snakes 2 royals and a hoggie and still want more

Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  00:23:08  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
have always been fascinated by snakes prolly from a young age,what ever they were tattoos, paintings, drawings, films.. have always watched the rep progs on animal channel wasn`t until this yr i decided to venture into owning 1..2..3.. of em..im seriously fascinated by them. but wouldnt go out me comfort zone n get something tht was proper dodge. kids n mum love em. dog dunno what to make of em.. :O)

love my animals more than i like people.
the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
1 m, 4 ft candy cane corn.. aka kellogg..
1 carolina corn-claret/carrot
Newest additon.. f whiteout corn-pastel??
1african house snake - Bob
Go to Top of Page

cherry-milkshake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  00:30:19  Show Profile  Click to see cherry-milkshake's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hmmm,I always wanted a pet snake from when I was a kid. Don't know why, think I'm just into unusual stuff - and they just really fascinated me. Wasn't till I was in my twenties that I felt confident enough to get one, coz I knew it wasn't as straight forward as keeping a cat or a hampster. Originally I was gonna get a milk snake but when I started finding out about corns I just fell in love with them, there was so many different types and they seemed to be the easiest to keep. Got my first one and then I was hooked - now I have five, and still want more! Would love to breed eventually as well. I think snakes are great coz they're as much of an actual hobby than just an unusual pet

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

595 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  00:37:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dad was into reptiles, before i was born he had a mosc monitor. The thing was evil, but i still wanted to hold him, although i had to wear washing up gloves lol We didnt have reptiles then until 2004 when we got our tortoises, then in 07 i got my leos, 08 and 09 got my corns and 09 i got my beardies. So it steamed from my dad

0.2.0 corn snake
1.2.0 Leopard Gecko
2.1.0 Hermann tortoises
3.1.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Bird
0.0.5 Fish
1.0.0 Ferrets
1.2.0 bearded dragons
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

395 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  01:07:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Husband became allergic to our old chihuahua, our Grandson has a carolina and he was fine with that. Did loads of research and then went to a rep place in Leeds. That's how we ended up with 'Gorgeous Boy'!

Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  01:16:51  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My mum reluctantly held a burm when she was pregnant with me. She thinks thats what caused my addiction, lol.
I have loads of photos of me holding snakes at zoos and toads from the garden from when I was a kid.

So do many people have family member into the reptiles?

www.youtube.com/BlueTongueDan
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  02:14:01  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I used to go into the forest and forest edges when I was about 7 (when kids played outside) and used to bring things home to show my mum. I brought an adder back when I was about 10 that was about 2ft long and kept it in a dustbin until mum got home from shopping so I could show her. Strangely enough, her response was 'very nice, now when you're done playing with it, go and put it back'.

My eldest granddaughter loves my snakes, so she's slowly trying to ask her mum for one, but she's not allowed. She's petrified of flies though.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

184 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  05:18:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i stared with a gecko, only coz someone gave me a setup, and it kind of spread from geckos onto snakes when i wasnt paying attention

1.0.0 Amel stripe(Dezzi)
0.1.0 Snow Corn (Rizzie)
0.1.0 Carolina Corn (Hotaru)
2.2.0 western hognose (Huff and Puff)(Missy and Pharoh)
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  09:33:41  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mine started when I was 21 and in hospital! Id always loved snakes and as a suprise my botfriend at the time bought me a cornsnake to come home to! We ended up spliting and he run off with it saying he bought it it's his! Well when I saw him a year later and asked how the snake was he said it was dead, I was gutted! I have always wanted to get another one, but my dad would not let me have one in the house, then I moved in to my current partners parents house and that was a no too. Now we have been in our own place I know I would get one. Spent ages reserching and brushing up my knowlage, then when I forund one of my mates had hatchlings, I could not resist! Im sticking at the one for now, but when we get a house, there may be more! Watch this space!!
Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  09:59:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was 8 and had loved reptiles for a few years so i convinced my mother to let me have one... so I got my first corn, Simi... he was an amel and i had him for a couple of years but then i moved him into a new viv but it didnt have a secure lid :( he escaped...
Then i got a hatchling normal who i had for a bit but he had to be sold when i moved to Dubai. Then i went reptile-less for a few years until i was at Uni in cardiff when i got a true fire skink, had him for a year and a half then he died :(
After that I got Ramesses the corn this year who was ill so he died quite soon :(
Then I got The Baron who is fine :)
the Poriot who is shy but fine :)
and most recently I got Arminia who is fine as well :)

Sorry for the life story....
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  10:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got my first snake for my 14th birthday- I think it was my parents idea to try and get me to stop bringing furry creatures back home from my travels, which I used to do ALOT.

So, they bought me Casper. 6 years later I have Mushu too, I'm studying Zoology at uni, and I'm trying to convince my Dad to let me have a royal. So- it kinda backfired on my rents, but at least snakes aren't furry!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  11:38:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started when my dad use to take my 7 year old round to see his friends corn snakes, one of them had just laid a clutch of eggs, my daughter got so into it she begged and begged me to let her keep one herself, so eventually (dads being dads) I finally give into her and said yes, so he in-turn promised that when his clutch had hatched my daughter could pick one to keep, anyway...... only one of the hatchlings survived and this lead my daughter to call him Nemo, 13 months later Nemo is now a fully healthy cheeky juvenile and part of our family.
Go to Top of Page

Chimp276
Yearling

United Kingdom
587 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  14:38:37  Show Profile  Click to see Chimp276's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well i went to my local aquatics shop and saw they they had started selling reptiles! Saw the snakes and decided that i wanted one lol!

And now i have 2 lol!

0.1.0 Hypo Stripe - Aero
1.1.0 Leopard Geckos - Marley and Lemon

Edited by - Chimp276 on 16/07/2009 14:38:52
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

531 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  14:56:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ended up with a unwanted corn...Now i got 2 corns and a rat snake.I have no idea why i never got one sooner and now i wouldnt part with them for the world.

Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  16:17:41  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my dad was always into reptiles, and I grew up watching Steve Irwin, animal planet etc, with him. After he died, it was one of the main thing that I rmemeber us having a connection about, and it made me think seriously about getting a snake. It's all gone forwards from there! Nowe have 2 beardies, and planning to one day soon get a chuckwalla, cornsnake, poss python, chameleons, etc

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

Flatpack63
Hatchling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  16:42:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got mine when a friends son bought one and took it home, knowing full well that his mum was terrified of snakes. It lasted about two minutes in the house before I got a phone call asking if I would take it.
He came free with faun and everything else so I said OK.
Part of the family now, and wish I'd got one earlier.
Still looking for my next one. Want a stripe but still haven't seen the right one.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000