How do you calm a jumpy corn...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Taz Devil
Hatchling

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  11:47:44  Show Profile  Visit Taz Devil's Homepage  Click to see Taz Devil's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Over the past few days I have started to handle my corn after changing it's water on an evening, once out of the viv it's fine and will happily slither about, but trying to get a hold of it is another story. As soon as I touch it it jumps and slithers out of the way, is there a less stress full way to get a hold of it without it wanting to do the 100 meters in 10 seconds.

0.1.0 Corn Snake (Sid)

Sids Live WebCam
http://snakecam.tazworld.co.uk

Flatpack63
Hatchling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  12:00:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can try leaving the viv/faun open and waiting for your snake to come out on its own. Stay by it and as snakey investigates, leave your hands there for it to slide onto.

Go to Top of Page

Taz Devil
Hatchling

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  12:07:15  Show Profile  Visit Taz Devil's Homepage  Click to see Taz Devil's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It usually stay put in it's little hide (the exo terra type with the hole in the lid) with it's head peeping out.

I have had some success by using the opposite end of it's feeding tongs to lift it out, it only seems to be jumpy at warm hands not cold steel.

0.1.0 Corn Snake (Sid)

Sids Live WebCam
http://snakecam.tazworld.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  12:55:39  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
mine was the same for first few weeks..i tired letting her come out on her own.. which she did a few times but got down back of faun i got hold of her and she got ****y... so after few times of tht i gave in as not to stress her...so changed tactic.. she is now in komodo tank and spends all her time in warm coconut hide... so have started to literally pick up entire hide with my hand underneath and pop the whole thing on feeding tub lid on my bed. Lift off hide and let her get use to being outside the tank,take moss and hide put it to one side, and let her chill whilst slithering about the lid... in her own time she comes off the lid onto my bed at which point i slide my hand under her gently and pick her up..whilst staying calm and relaxed my self.. this is best way so far tht keeps eveyone calm, then once u have had ya handling session and they r calm.. just gently let them slide off ya hand back into faun/viv and put hide and moss back do any lil bits of cleaning change water etc... jobs a goodun.. takes alot of patience but seems to be paying off.

love my animals more than i like people.
the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
1 m, 4 ft candy cane corn.. aka kellogg..
1 carolina corn-claret/carrot
Newest additon.. f whiteout corn-pastel??
1african house snake - Bob
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

116 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  13:55:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just try and remeber that your hand is HUGE to them. Move confidently and come in low

0.1.0 Anery Corn(Noodle)
0.0.1 Spur Thighed Tortoise (Melvin)
1.0.0 Cat (Titus)
0.0.2 Fish (Caractacus and ThunderCleese)

Also in my care (temporarily):
1.0.0 Baird's Rat (Murphy)
0.1.0 Butter Corn (Molly)
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  17:59:32  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ay, confident with no hesistation, even if th snake hisses at you, its rare they will bite.
Use gloves if your concerned.

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  18:08:03  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ell

just not fluffy ones........... in case you're confused for a mouse!! lol

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  20:34:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I leave the door open and wait for mine to appear at the door, but watch out coz once they decide they're off, its like Usain Bolt at the Olympics...

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

151 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  12:01:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep my corn in a viv that has a lid rather than doors so it's a little more difficult for me and i frequently have the same problem when trying to handle her as i have to pick her up from above. Also its not an option for me to let her come out on he own accord as she's still not quite big enough to find her way out of the top of the tank.
I've found that the best way to deal with it is, like the others are saying, be confident yet patient. I find that if i take the time to let her know im there by just gently placing my hand near her she soon comes to investigate and then i just gently scoop her up and she's fine as soon a she's out of the viv.

0.1.0 Crimson Corn "Cherry Darling"
0.1.0 Anery Corn "Riff Raff"
0.1.0 Hypo Motley Corn "Magenta"
0.1.0 Crested Gecko "Beatrix Kiddo"
0.1.0 Crested Gecko "O-Ren Ishii"
0.1.0 Tortoiseshell and White Kitten "Gizmo!"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

589 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  13:52:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by Ell

just not fluffy ones........... in case you're confused for a mouse!! lol

roflmao...

i tend to distract mine with one hand and then gently lift up with the other...and yeah he has done a sprint, just wait for them to calm down then pick up again,

corns are normally pretty good and mine have always calmed down quite quickly with regular handling...

Rat World, Frozen Rats/Multis/Gerbils/Mice

T.0845 250 0020

2.3.0. Royals.1.2.0 Corns. RIP Sadie

Go to Top of Page

Janos
Hatchling

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  15:50:36  Show Profile  Click to see Janos's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah, just be patient with them and eventually they'll work out that you're not a threat =)

1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Ozzy
0.1.0 Anerythristic Corn Snake - Astra
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Zilly
0.0.1. - Sinaloan's Milksnake, Harley

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000