Switching over to wooden
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  17:48:36  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey guys

About a year down the line I want to get a wooden viv for my little guy and was wondering:

What do you suggest putting on top of the heat mat inside the viv.
I've heard vinyl tiles are good?

Also has anyone got this viv and if so can they give me a quick review thumbs up or thumbs down:
http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/vivariums-416/vivariums-cabinet-combinations-460/vivexotic-36in-viv-cabinet-beech-61917.html

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  18:01:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i've heard good things about the vivexotic vivs but as i don't have one myself i'm not going to give you any more than that...
Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  18:01:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
although im taking delivery of this tomorrow:
http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=1902&ProductGroupID=132
Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  18:02:09  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
not got that viv but personally i dont like the stand as a fear they will be knocked however my friend has a stand in her front room and it does look good.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  18:04:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what i've seen a wodden viv is a wooden viv. Most of the main brands are very simular.

Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  18:34:33  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok and do heat mats and heat bulbs work ok together with stats?

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page

cherry-milkshake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  22:18:20  Show Profile  Click to see cherry-milkshake's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Luke you don't need two heat sources. Either a bulb or a mat. I prefer bulbs personally for several reasons:

a) It gives a more natural effect - like the sun
b) They are easier to control and monitor IMO - you can actually see a bulb and see how high/low it's running - and primarily if it's working, you wouldn't necessarily notice a faulty mat straight away
c) Aesthetics - I love lit tanks, they look really nice. The viv you've got your eye on looks lush btw.
and d) as someone else mentioned on another thread, they're not as suitable for adult corns and they can get burnt on them

But I'm sure there's just as many cons for using bulbs so it's personal choice really. I think there are ways of heating with a mat and lighting as well, but personally I just think it's easier to use one tool for both jobs - less wires! But that said, I have four tanks in all so I need to keep my wireworks (and my electric bill!) down. lol. You can fit mats or bulbs to therms - I always use habistat personally, but the dimmer type, not the pulse (for lights obviously)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

595 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  23:45:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think thats the type of viv i have, the make, vivs are vivs really does the job. It comes packed very well, no damage to the glass, which is good, fast deliv.

0.2.0 corn snake
1.2.0 Leopard Gecko
2.1.0 Hermann tortoises
3.1.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Bird
0.0.5 Fish
1.0.0 Ferrets
1.2.0 bearded dragons
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  09:06:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use heat mats, and I have never had to put anything other than substrate over the top (obviously I use a thermostat) but some people do like tiles because they hold the heat well and are a completely different texture for your snake.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Taz Devil
Hatchling

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  09:23:26  Show Profile  Visit Taz Devil's Homepage  Click to see Taz Devil's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've just moved my corn into a similar type of viv. I use a heat mat on a stat, a thermometer with 2 temp readings so can see both hot and cold end. I use aspen as the substrate, only down side I have with my viv is that it only has one small circular vent on the back so I have bought this from B&Q to fit at the weekend.

0.1.0 Corn Snake (Sid)

Sids Live WebCam
http://snakecam.tazworld.co.uk

Edited by - Taz Devil on 08/07/2009 09:42:37
Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  09:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use a heat mat on a stat with a low power bulb for lighting only... it doesn't raise the temp at al so its on a timer for 10 hours of light atm... that way you get aesthetically pleasing light and heat mat heat....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000