Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  09:54:12  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
how long can corn snakes go with out heat..... got 4 ft corn last week went to set up his bulb etc a day ago.. n would seem the bulb tht came with doesnt work and its only a 50watt.... so have ordered 100 watt bulb just waiting on delivery, yes its all on stat n therm etc... n i have a feeling this may affect his feeding should it go on for any longer, he did wolf down a mouse last week , was told he takes three in one go every 1-2 weeks so gonna try him on a full sized rat next saturday..

love my animals more than i like people.
the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
1 m, 4 ft candy cane corn.. aka kellogg..
1 carolina corn-claret/carrot
Newest additon.. f whiteout corn-pastel??
1african house snake - Bob

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  10:12:20  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'd not give him any food until you've got the heat sorted, they need the heat to aid digestion.

I'd actually recommend a heat mat as opposed to a lamp, they're much easier to control. IMO

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  10:28:42  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
right have sourced normal light bulb for now so atleast he will have some sorta heat for now n can change over once proper bulb arrives.

the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  10:35:36  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well once i change him onto aspen im gonna seriously consider heat mat.. but as wooden viv gonna have to go inside.... although dont really want to mess about with what hes been use to for all this time with prev owner.

the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
Go to Top of Page

Chimp276
Yearling

United Kingdom
587 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  11:16:34  Show Profile  Click to see Chimp276's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
but all he's been used to is heat! He doesn't know it whether it is coming from a bulb or from under the ground lol!

0.1.0 Hypo Stripe - Aero
1.1.0 Leopard Geckos - Marley and Lemon

Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  11:40:50  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
true.... may stick original set up as hes been fine with it.. just gonna change sub, as i loathe chipping/bark... and sort hima moss hide he can use as n when

the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  12:40:34  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
run a heatmat instead........... then you don't have that problem! and it's better for the snake.

hope he's not eaten recently as he won't be able to digest the meal............ meaning it could rot in his stomach before it's digested.............

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  12:46:38  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
he had a mouse last saturday when we had the heat....but now temps are dropping again i have decided to run the bulb again

the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  12:46:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by punumbear

right have sourced normal light bulb for now so atleast he will have some sorta heat for now n can change over once proper bulb arrives.

White light? If so make sure you turn it off at night.

Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  12:49:53  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yus a white light atm.. its on a dimmer.. but what wattage matt would i need in 3 ft viv?

the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  12:50:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure on the wattage, just use the right size. (probably 11 x 17)

Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  12:56:19  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok ta ill order one this week.. just hope hes ok

the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
Go to Top of Page

cherry-milkshake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  16:45:23  Show Profile  Click to see cherry-milkshake's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm gonna get berated for this for sure, but I use heat mats for babies when their in their small homes, but then when they move into my custom built four stack I heat with lamps - never had a problem! All I would say is you might wanna get a mesh cage around the bulb so the snake doesn't burn itself, and personally I use yellow bulbs, all on therms obviously

Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  17:35:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you're not gonna get berated... many use bulbs, many use mats... its all personal preference as long as the temps are correct
Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  18:01:37  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
cherry the light has already got guard stat n therm etc ..but have just checked him he has come out of cold hide now and has burrowed under substrate under lamp so guessing he is feeling it.. just hope he is ok after feeding sat when he didnt have any heat due to the hot days we had.But temps keeping up nicely..

the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
Go to Top of Page

heatseeker872591
Hatchling

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  20:13:52  Show Profile  Visit heatseeker872591's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you cant beat heat bulbs, its the most best heat that replicates life in the wild as in the wild heat comes from up above not from underneath. i was told heat mats are useless for adults aswell as the weight of say a 300 gran plus corn pressing down on a heat mat can cause some thermal burns even if the mat is running off a stat. thats why i run a bulb full time now. and as for aspen i never will use that again after what i found out about that snakes can inhale small fragments of it and get it stuck in their nostrils when they submerge themselves in it

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  21:57:45  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
is all very conflicting advice..as for inhaling things.. cant be any worse that what they would be inhaling say in the corn fields under corrigated iron in the wild.. not exactly a dust free zone there either.

the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
Go to Top of Page

cherry-milkshake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  22:00:53  Show Profile  Click to see cherry-milkshake's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by punumbear

cherry the light has already got guard stat n therm etc ..but have just checked him he has come out of cold hide now and has burrowed under substrate under lamp so guessing he is feeling it.. just hope he is ok after feeding sat when he didnt have any heat due to the hot days we had.But temps keeping up nicely..

I would think you should be ok now that you have everything running at a regular temp. Similar thing happened to me once when I fed them over a bank holiday and then a bulb blew (lol, and there was me advocating bulbs!) but the snake didn't seem to experience anything detrimental. Obviously it would be a problem if they went without heat for a long time or on a regular basis, but I'm sure it will be fine now you have it sorted

Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  22:05:37  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
bloody hope so cherry.. as he is a lovely snake n kids not enjoyed him yet.. would be a shame for things to go wrong now but hopefully crisis averted.. but will be sorting his viv out soon and making it more cosey n pleasing to the eye n hopefully he will venture out more under the cover of a few more plants n vines etc.:O)

the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
Go to Top of Page

cherry-milkshake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  22:23:59  Show Profile  Click to see cherry-milkshake's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Awww, I'm sure it'll be fine. Dunno about venturing out more though, lol, they sure do love to be shy! But a few nice hides and plants (I use plastic ones - they may not be a nice as real but I reckon it irradicates all possibilities of them being harmful and they're easier to clean when your snake poos on them, which mine just luuurve to do!) will look really good and make him feel all comfy-cosy . In my beardie's tank I have one of those waterfalls from exoterra as well, which looks really nice. I believe corns can use them also, so when cash allows I'm gonna get them for my other three tanks - the small one's are about thirty quid.

Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  22:37:56  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
exxo terra stuff is quite pricey but tis decent kit.. but nothing like ya own home made hides etc to own ya own personal touch

the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000