New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  09:50:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

I've had my snow corn about 5 months now, I got her from another person, so i think she is about 8 or 9 months old? i'm not sure how long the previous owner had her for. Anyway, i was feeding her pinkies for a while, the the furries, and now she has one of those on a Wednesday and one on a Saturday. She has never had any problems eating before, i usually dangle it in from feeding tweezer things and she grabs it right off me and wraps it up. But I fed her last Saturday and she ate it fine, but on Wednesday she didn't eat it, so i left a few hours and took it out, then gave her a fresh one today, but she still isn't interested in it..

I've read she might not eat if she is going to shed, but also that if she is going to shed, she will just hide away and sleep and stuff, but she has been quite active around her tank today, so I'm not sure it's that.

Might not be a she by the way, I just call her that because I named her Anna(conda)

Any advice is appreciated

thanks

Mike

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  11:21:36  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum.

In regards the shedding, it's still possible for snakie to be wandering round when in shed mode, it's just that a vast majority of snakes don't.

Also, in regards feeding, i'd recommend giving her just one feed a week at the moment.
Also, how much of a bulge does she have after feeding?? is it a huge bulge, or is it only slightly noticeable??

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  13:24:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for replying, she has quite a big bulge once fed, I only do 2 a week because a guy at my local pet shop said she should be having 2 at her age. Should I try her again in a few days? She hasn't shed her skin in a while so it's possible but I can't tell from her eyes they never look any different even just before she sheds.

Thanks very much,

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  20:19:42  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If there is still a lage bulge, then the meals may possibly be to large, it's very difficult to say, although the recommendation is normally 1.5 times the thickest part of the snake, MAX.

So if the snake had a diameter of roughly half an inch, then the maximum feed you would give would be 3/4 of inch in diameter.

Have you got any piccys of her, along side something like a biro because then we'll get a btter idea of food recommendations.

Also the idea of feeding twice a week is not the norm, as you should really leave the snake for about 48 hrs after feeding before you handle it, this would only leave you 1 or 2 days a week where you could safely handle the snake. Depending on the size of the snake, feeding would be on 1-2 mice once every 5-7 days when the snake is young.

Is it fuzzies it's on, or furries?

A fuzzy is a slight stage up from pinky, and the mice have like peach fuzz on, very fine hair.
A furrie would be the next step up from that, with all the fur, essentially a small mouse.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  14:15:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

here is a picture of anna.

she is on fuzzies at the moment i think..I think the bulge is quite big but i wouldn't say it was twice the size of her..but not far off i wouldn't have though.

thanks for your help!

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  22:42:11  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If she's been on 1 pinky twice a week, I'd go to 2 once a week for about 2-3 weeks (just to get her used to weekly feeds) then try her on 1 small fuzzie.

She looks big enough to (just about) handle fuzzies, but the twice weekly feed is a bit unusual.

When you do try her on a fuzzy roll it in your hands to squish it a bit and see how she handles it.

I unfortunately haven't had a snake that small for a long time so it's not crystal in my head, but if i'm wrong others will say, and correct me.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  08:10:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah feeding twice a week is a bit odd...

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  22:38:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your advice guys, she shed today so I fed her and she ate 2 pinkies without any hesitation, so I'll just feed her on wednesday nights from now on :)
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  11:10:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
glad to hear it!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page