Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Vince_the_snake
Yearling

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2013 :  18:23:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mum seemed more positive about the house snake because they're small. Also I think just the word python worries people and I like the look of the house snakes more now.

Note- I meant to right hognose but it corrected it to Johnson!
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2013 :  18:34:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have the room for a large viv and like a snake with a temperament that's docile & Inquisitive look no further than a Russian ratsnake, bear in mind they do get to around 6 feet but a lovely snake.
[/URL]

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)

Edited by - Okeetee Mick on 20/10/2013 20:46:03
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2013 :  19:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vince_the_snake

My mum seemed more positive about the house snake because they're small. Also I think just the word python worries people and I like the look of the house snakes more now.

Note- I meant to right hognose but it corrected it to Johnson!

Ha ha ha, see, you're already getting round her

And lol at the hognose/Johnson correction!

Gorgeous snake there Mick

Go to Top of Page

Vince_the_snake
Yearling

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2013 :  19:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gorgeous snake, I love the yellow and black! Showed it to Mum she said they all look the same...

Edited by - Vince_the_snake on 20/10/2013 19:13:12
Go to Top of Page

hayleylsl
Egg

United Kingdom
98 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2013 :  19:49:45  Show Profile  Click to see hayleylsl's MSN Messenger address  Send hayleylsl a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I was also wondering too about another snake (I've got the bug!) and was looking at King snakes/milk snakes. They are beautiful to look at in the pictures I have seen but I don't know to much about them, general temperament etc. Has anyone experience of these beauties?

1.0.0 CB 12 Amel Motley- Boris

0.2.0 cats Grizabella and Jennyanydots

Foster cat: Jasper who has a healing broken pelvis
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2013 :  20:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay house snake

Here's a couple of photos of one of my young house snakes...

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

Vince_the_snake
Yearling

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2013 :  16:18:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gorgeous snakes, I like the green!
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2013 :  17:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hayleylsl

I was also wondering too about another snake (I've got the bug!) and was looking at King snakes/milk snakes. They are beautiful to look at in the pictures I have seen but I don't know to much about them, general temperament etc. Has anyone experience of these beauties?

Kings have a rep for being nippy when young and milks can be quite nervous, both can musk if upset. Our Cali King at work is a fab snake. Have a nosy on thekingsnake.co.uk lots of info on there

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

hayleylsl
Egg

United Kingdom
98 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2013 :  19:49:45  Show Profile  Click to see hayleylsl's MSN Messenger address  Send hayleylsl a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

1.0.0 CB 12 Amel Motley- Boris

0.2.0 cats Grizabella and Jennyanydots

Foster cat: Jasper who has a healing broken pelvis
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2013 :  21:05:03  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
my experience of other snake species I've had other than corns....

Cape house snake - quite jumpy and faster than corns, fairly nippy as babies but calm down a bit as adults. Beautifully silky smooth skin with an awesome shimmer
Honduran milksnake - Very shy, like to hide a lot, not too keen on being handled. Again, nippy when young but become docile. Mine were both hypo so intense bright in-yer-face orange
Everglades ratsnake - slightly bigger and stronger than a corn but puppy dog tame. Good to see the pattern change from blotced baby to stripe adult.
Royal python - pain in the rear for feeding, never saw it, fat lazy slug. Sold him to a neighbour who says he's a pain to feed and never sees him :D

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Vince_the_snake
Yearling

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2013 :  21:45:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I think house snake (male) as its small and doesn't need a really big viv
Go to Top of Page

Boomslang
Hatchling

United Kingdom
340 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2013 :  01:44:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Royal python - pain in the rear for feeding, never saw it, fat lazy slug. Sold him to a neighbour who says he's a pain to feed and never sees him :D
hahahaha yeah :P another reason i like hognoses,Mine are always out and about doing something.I much prefer more active snakes,that you see from time to time :P

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
2.1.0 pygmy chameleons
Go to Top of Page

Thorne Walker
Yearling

Canada
642 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2013 :  07:26:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Okeetee Mick

If you have the room for a large viv and like a snake with a temperament that's docile & inquisitive look no further than a Russian ratsnake

So True! I picked up Monster after repeatedly coming across the word 'Buddy' in write up after write up. He's always hanging out in the open and will cruse about during the day.

We have a routine, he poops 3 days after a feed and sheds about 5-6 days after he goes all 'Zombie-riffic'. He waits for me to come get him out on the appointed day...

But they do get bigger than corns... (8 inch/20cm tiles)

He's only 2 years old and around 350g/1.4m. He's really mellow, I've never been bitten/attacked. The one time he snapped at me I had some aspen in my hand so I'm presuming he was confused and thought he was being fed. He's only once coiled his prey despite being really energetic about grabbing it, usually he just 'sits' on it to pin it in place if it(me) is putting up a fight. We just transitioned to f/t weaner rats.

Russians are awesome!

1.0.0 CB'11 Volcano Corn 'Kitty'
0.0.1 CB'11 Russian Rat Snake 'Monster'
2.0.0 CB'04 Roof Rabbits 'Baka Neko-San' and 'Usagi Neko-San'

My Setup :http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27228
The Kids: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26248

Edited by - Thorne Walker on 22/10/2013 07:35:24
Go to Top of Page

Vince_the_snake
Yearling

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2013 :  11:23:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw a cali Kingsnake at pets at home yesterday (went to pick up cat + rabbit food, I don't use it as a reptile shop) me and my mum both really loved it! I've looked on the kingsnake forum, and they seem easy to look after, being similar to corns. I will try to convince her to come to the local reptile shop to have a closer look. Fingers crossed!

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2013 :  20:55:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cali kings have a reputation for being nippy. I know the odd person with docile ones but a lot more people have stroppy ones, me included :-P Mine used to musk when I first got him, after a year he stopped musking and would now rather chase my hand with his mouth open haha!!
House snakes are ace though, my children of a similar age to you love handling ours. The only time you have to be careful with a housie is at feeding time, they have an insane feeding response!!

Eli, my male T-Albino Cape House snake. He's only a small snake now at almost 3 years old!

Ollivander, my male True Olive House snake, he's just over 2 and less than half the size of the corns of a similar age

Olivia, my female True Olive, she's huge compared to my male but still smaller and more slender than a corn:

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Vince_the_snake
Yearling

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2013 :  23:15:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No... have to resist...changing my mind to housie!

Go to Top of Page

Welshlamb
Yearling

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  12:30:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMO cali kings are better for keepers who are accepting of being bitten, if it comes to itt. It's not uncommon and mine has taken opportunities to strike and luckily missed. She has her good days where she's like butter wouldn't melt and you can have a cuddle. But the other days she can be very irritable. But I can live with that and wouldn't change her.

Do as much research as you can. The worst thing I learnt about cali kings is the musking (it's one hell of a bad stench and a messy job), she started this when I first had her. It's a natural Defence mechanism, but she's used to me now and prefers to snap at me instead. So do bare this in mind.

Don't be put off though because every snake is different and cali kings are beautiful.

Good luck with convincing mum and look forward to seeing what happens
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000