Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Vince_the_snake
Yearling

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2013 :  18:43:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to ask my Mum about getting another snake (already have 1 corn) and I'm not sure wether to ask for another corn (different morph) or a different species, like a king snake, or Royal Python.
Opinions?
(Note-I'm personally very interested in the royal python)

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2013 :  19:39:31  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
meh to pythons, anything ratsnake (old or new world) because theres so much variety to choose from.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2013 :  19:40:13  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you want to look at an empty viv all day and get really frustrated for a few months every year while they won't feed then get a royal. King snake would be much more interesting to keep IMO. Make sure you have a good look at all the other species available before you make your decision as there is a lot of choice of great snakes to keep (carpet pythons spring to mind )

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

SilverWings
Yearling

United Kingdom
740 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2013 :  19:47:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our king is a grumpy bugger, and we hardly see her. They can musk too and it stinks. The royal is a sweetie when she's not trying to bite XD They have far bigger teeth than corns, I've had nips from the corns and the tai beauty but wouldn't fancy a bite from her.

2.2.3 Corn snakes; Red, Rosie, Liana, Checkers, Luna, Diego, Snowman
1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Snake; Aleron
1.0 Green Anoles; Doug
1.0 Greyhound; Lee
Go to Top of Page

Vince_the_snake
Yearling

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2013 :  20:17:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So maybe another corn? What morphs do you like in particular?(already got an anery)
Go to Top of Page

Murphy123
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2013 :  20:30:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Av got three royals and they haven't even tried to bite or even strike at me but every snake has it's own personality, it's true you don't see them much but it's a personal choice on your part, have a look around and get what you really like.
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2013 :  20:52:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you like royals, then maybe look into getting a royal. They're very placcid snakes normally and don't do a whole lot of...well anything really. Hence the nicknames slug and petrock. However they can be funny eaters, making owners worry for a few months a year.

What about a house snake? Smaller than corns and a bit quicker moving sometimes, such awesome little snakes imho. Males stay really quite little which your mum might prefer to a larger snake

There's some gorgeous corn snake morphs to choose from. Have a look on here and see which ones catch your eye as everyone is different and my favourite morph might not be one you like http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/species/elaphe_guttata/

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs

Edited by - Moppet on 18/10/2013 20:55:25
Go to Top of Page

Vince_the_snake
Yearling

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2013 :  21:12:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Though aren't some of the more extravagant morphs more expensive? I love the house snake btw so cute!
Go to Top of Page

Vince_the_snake
Yearling

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2013 :  21:16:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm.. asked my mum about the snakes. She said no saying you don't need another snake and when I move out (I'm only 12) she doesn't want to be left with two snakes. Any counter-arguments or is it a lost cause?
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2013 :  21:22:14  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
when you move out take them with you ;)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Vince_the_snake
Yearling

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2013 :  21:24:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what I'd do! But I guess I'm lucky to have one snake anyway,
plus Vince is the best snake ever![citation needed]

Edited by - Vince_the_snake on 18/10/2013 21:25:12
Go to Top of Page

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2013 :  22:14:26  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bairds rat snake! Gooo for one!! hehe you know you want to after this video ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43dG2xAVXnM

Albino Addiction ... <3
0.1.0 - Creamsicle Cornsnake (Mo)
1.0.0 - Bubblegum Snow Corn (Gabriel)
1.0.0 - Lavendar 100% Het Hypo Corn (Ezra)
1.0.0 - Bairds Rat Snake (Lazarus)
0.0.1 - Crested Gecko (Pan)
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2013 :  02:34:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HOGNOSE!!!!!!! And to calm the Haters, call it Dave!!

I do like royals, often go to see my OH sister, hers has such a great nature, they have just got another i have to see yet, a butter called Stork lol

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2013 :  09:21:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, although the first 2 snakes we got were corns, we since discovered loads of species out there which we also love! So I'd say, do more research, see if there are any other species out there which catch your interest. Snakes live a very long time, and until you are moved out and settled in your own home you don't know that you will be able to house them. I can totally understand your mum not wanting you to get a houseful of snakes just for you to leave to go to uni or whatever and leave them for her to look after!

I'm sure if you do a LOT of research, come up with another particular snake which you would REALLY like and just ask every now and again, I'm sure a future Christmas or birthday present may be in a snakey form. But you have to prove to your parents with your first snake that you are not going to just get bored of them after a few months or a year or so (this is exactly what happened with my son, but that was different as I wanted a snake in the first place so was more than happy to take over when he lost interest and would not have bought one in the first place otherwise - plus he's younger than you ;) ), so expect to wait for a fair while (and if they give in sooner then that's a bonus ;) )

Go to Top of Page

Vince_the_snake
Yearling

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2013 :  10:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would love a Johnson, but I'm not sure if the rest of my family would be comfortable with a venomous snake in the house.:/
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2013 :  11:40:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Um what's a Johnson?? I don't think getting a venomous snake is likely to happen any time soon, especially as you need a DWA licence!!! (unless you mean a rear fanged species) Maybe set your sights a little more realistically lol :D

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2013 :  13:45:50  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scottishbluebird

HOGNOSE!!!!!!! And to calm the Haters, call it Dave!!

I do like royals, often go to see my OH sister, hers has such a great nature, they have just got another i have to see yet, a butter called Stork lol

WHAT THE F........ how very dare you insult the name dave like that.......

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Boomslang
Hatchling

United Kingdom
340 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2013 :  14:45:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Plenty of other snakes then king snakes,or royal pythons.You will hardly see a royal,Nothing wrong with them :) Just have a good look around at other species,Alot more active snake species about to.

Plenty to pick from,thats not the mainstream 3 or 4.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
2.1.0 pygmy chameleons
Go to Top of Page

Coal
Hatchling

449 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2013 :  23:05:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally I dislike royals - more fussy in their requirements, rather reclusive and often poor feeders from what I understand, and I personally don't like them aesthetically - too fat for me :P Still there's nothing wrong with them. King snakes would be an option; some are a bit bitey/squirmy but some are lovely. Mexican black kings and Cali kings are my personal favourites, especially the former. You could also look into house snakes (lovely colour and stay very small), hognoses (flipping adorable - might be getting one myself in a month) and, if you wanted something a little more unusual, a Kenyan sand boa.

Of course you could also get another corn; there are some really lovely morphs out there that are quite cheap - stripes are some of my favourites.

As for convincing your mum, I agree with Smart Bunny - spend a few months to a year looking after your current corn as well as you can and try not to mention getting another if you can. After a while your mum will see your dedicated to looking after your animals and is more likely to consider letting you have another. Just try not to nag - mums hate being nagged in my experience :P

Best of luck.

'Lovecraft' - CB12 male amel

'Sarnath' - CB13 male KSB (anery, het. albino)
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2013 :  00:13:09  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My Mexican black king is the most cutest and cuddly snake ever <3 but I know not all are as silly as mine :)

I can see your mums point and I can only stress what smart bunny has said. So many times you see people that go off to uni as they cant take their snake, only for their parent not be able to take care of it/want to and then it gets rehomed. I sated at home for uni but since moving out and getting a job, finding a place that I like and that will allow snakes was a bit frustrating and difficult as it's not just down to the landlord.

I wouldn't get a slug though as they look like slugs :p

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Boomslang
Hatchling

United Kingdom
340 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2013 :  14:03:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Personally I dislike royals - more fussy in their requirements, rather reclusive and often poor feeders from what I understand, and I personally don't like them aesthetically - too fat for me :P
I never found that to be the case.Not to fussy on requirements,and never had any feeding problems.

But,If you want an active snake don't get a royal.they really don't do anything at all :) Apart from at night time etc

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
2.1.0 pygmy chameleons
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic