Curious
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  22:04:43  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As you can tell by the title, im curious. Does anyone here see any harm in taking your snake for a 'walk', not necessarily a corn.
I mean out in the garden, even a small stroll to a nearby park, quick walk to the shop and back. No longer than a half hour. But only on the exceptionally hot days.
I've never done this myself. And personally id not go past my garden.
Just trying to see my peers opinions :)

Albino Addiction ... <3
0.1.0 - Creamsicle Cornsnake (Mo)
1.0.0 - Bubblegum Snow Corn (Gabriel)
1.0.0 - Lavendar 100% Het Hypo Corn (Ezra)
1.0.0 - Bairds Rat Snake (Lazarus)
0.0.1 - Crested Gecko (Pan)

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  22:11:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not something i would do, for a few reasons

curious folks may want to see snake and this could stress snake out.
nowhere for the snake to thermoregulate.
snake stuck in one place, nowhere for it to go to hide.

My opinion of this is that there is no benefit for the snake in doing this, other than get some folks riled.

Go to Top of Page

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  22:18:02  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
True.
Like i said,id never do it myself. Just a recent convo i came across and i trust you guys to be more sensible, sensitive, tactful with your responses aha

Albino Addiction ... <3
Go to Top of Page

SilverWings
Yearling

United Kingdom
740 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  22:52:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depends on the snake. I take Diego out occasionally, since he loves human company and is happy to stay wrapped round my shoulders. The park is across the road from me, so it's not too far if he should happen to get stressed (never has so far). I tend to wear a coat or fleece with sleeves that he can go down if he wants, although again, he prefers to be out in the open. I tend to take him out in the evenings when there aren't many people around and its starting to cool down. I've had a few funny looks, and one person did ask me 'is that a real snake' but nobody has ever seemed overly interested or wanted to touch him.

However, Luna would *not* enjoy being outside so I would never take her to the park. Same goes for Boots, who is still far too small and very very fast, and not particularly tame either.

2.2.3 Corn snakes; Red, Rosie, Liana, Checkers, Luna, Diego, Snowman
1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Snake; Aleron
1.0 Green Anoles; Doug
1.0 Greyhound; Lee
Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  23:21:32  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I once took a 10ft Boa Constrictor to the shop with a friend. She was quite happy to sit round me like a belt the whole time with her head on my shoulder. Some people wanted to stroke her, others asked if she was real and then some just tried to stay as far away as possible. The snake, however, was just about as happy as can be. It was a warm day so she didn't get cold, but not too warm that she overheated. She loved the attention lol.

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
1.0 Caramel Stripe het Amel - Vladimir.
0.1 Normal het Amel, Caramel, Hypo - Amara.
0.1 Masque het Amel, Anery, Charcoal, Diffused, Hypo, Lavender, Stripe - Aurelia.
1.0 Masque Anery het Amel, Charcoal, Diffused, Hypo, lavender, Stripe - Orion.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
1.0 Yellow Rat Snake - Leviathan(Levi)
Western Hognoses
1.0 Normal 50% poss het Frosted(Dutch Hypo, Caramel) - Thorne.
0.1 Frosted - Rose.
1.0 Anaconda het Snow(Amel, Anery) - Titan.
0.1 Normal het Snow(Amel, Anery) - Nyx.
R.I.P Pandora & Sakana, entwined in my heart forever my darlings.
Go to Top of Page

Boomslang
Hatchling

United Kingdom
340 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2013 :  03:03:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No harm letting them in the garden etc.Alot more risky taking them to the shops etc :P

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
2.1.0 pygmy chameleons
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2013 :  08:10:41  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Garden for a few snaps and a bit of a roam yes but to a park or shop no.
As Gmac said there is absolutely no benefit for the snake to go outside his controlled environment. If you wanted a pet that goes for a walk to the park, gives you cuddles etc dogs are ideal for this not snakes.

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python

Edited by - Donnie on 14/07/2013 08:11:25
Go to Top of Page

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2013 :  10:15:19  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My guys get plenty of stimulation/exercise by being handled at home by various folks-SOME of them are suitable for school visits SOME of the time!
SOME of them go in the garden with me/mine SOME of the time,and that's about it
I guess it varies a lot on the snake/circumstances.
I really don't like the thought of 'random' trips to the shops etc.all it takes is one idiot;

"ARG YOU'RE BEING ATTACKED BY A SNAKE" stomp!stomp!stomp!-"Phew,I saved your life!'

Sure you can visualize the rest
Go to Top of Page

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2013 :  21:32:34  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Interesting to see how each has a different view. Some have taken mini trips and some havnt. For those that like to take their snakes that little bit further - Has there ever been an experience that has now stopped you taking your snake beyond the garden?

Albino Addiction ... <3
Go to Top of Page

Foxtrotsierra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
485 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2013 :  09:16:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As you know Hayley, mine are only little but Cathy has enjoyed some time in the garden. I live in a very quiet close with some rather polite little boys and girls that have loved having a short hold of her but only in the house.

They quite often call for a "play" but understand about how she has to be left to digest her dinner and will come back another day, as well as if she is in blue. I can't quite see me taking her to the shops but is has been so lovely to see a little girl who was adamant she wasn't going to have a hold let curiosity get the better of her and end up really enjoying it

0.1.0 Snow - Cathy (digesting, waiting for her photo op)
0.1.0 Carolina - Delilah
0.1.0 King Charles Cavalier - Emily
0.1.0 St Bernard - Pooch
0.1.0 Manx Cat - Maggie
0.0.1 HUGE tropical fish tank + residents
1.0.0 Husband (thinks I am insane)
3.2.0 Children (think I am cool!)
Go to Top of Page

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2013 :  09:28:57  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Aww thats so cute. Sounds like your on the road to school trip education :P

Albino Addiction ... <3
Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2013 :  11:18:36  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This is the thing, the shop I took her to I can take a picture from my balcony XD I wouldn't have taken her to the other shops as it's a longer walk and probably would have stressed her. I have no garden so the only chance mine get to go outside is if I taken them to the local grass bit outside. Everyone round here(small community) understands I own snakes and that I know what I'm doing so if they don't like the snakes they back off and I'll move the snake so that they can get past me. It was better with Chris(Christina) because she was a huge 10ft boa and so people saw her a mile off and went their way. With the corns no-one sees them till they are next to me and that's when they react badly. With the corns being smaller, people walk past me and then they see them and they jump and scream. With a boa they saw her wrapped round me and went their own way to stay away from her. I've not yet met someone round here who would think of trying to attack the corn snake as most of them seem to be educated that corn snakes aren't local XD The kids come up and have a look, they love it. They ask if they can hold her(Sakana when I took her to the grass) and if she's slimy and I tell them that yes they can hold her, no she's no slimy and if they hold her would they like me to keep her head away from them even though she won't bite. Most of the time they just want to hold her fully but I never take my hands off her just in case.

The shops trip wasn't random, it was planned ahead of time because it was a nice day and she hadn't been out for a while and she enjoyed being in the sun. I suppose taking a corn to the shops wouldn't be an idea as they can be easily missed if they tried slipping away but a 10ft boa, I don't think you can miss it trying to get away lol. We only took her the once to the shop but she went outside on the local grass patch regularly. Just like the corns go outside regularly, well - Sakana does when she's not in blue or digesting and Cereus does when he feels like coming out at all lol.

For reference - The shop I took the boa to. No I don't take the corns on this grass as it's right next to a road, there's a grass patch out front that I take them to.

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie

Garden for a few snaps and a bit of a roam yes but to a park or shop no.
As Gmac said there is absolutely no benefit for the snake to go outside his controlled environment. If you wanted a pet that goes for a walk to the park, gives you cuddles etc dogs are ideal for this not snakes.

Where I live, we aren't even supposed to have cats let alone dogs. I don't expect cuddles or walks to the park but my snakes do seem to enjoy time outside and with no garden I have no option but to take them to local grass. If it's particularly busy outside I only put them on the balcony(obviously in constant contact with me) and let them have a sit in the sun but if it's a nice, sunny and hot day and not too busy with kids then I take the down to the grass for a wander.

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
0.1 Masque het Amel, Anery, Charcoal, Diffused, Hypo, Lavender, Stripe - Aurelia.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
Western Hognoses
0.1 Frosted - Rose.

Edited by - AcidicAngel on 16/07/2013 11:29:02
Go to Top of Page

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2013 :  12:00:33  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think that seems fair AcidicAngel. I actually quite like your balcony view aha seems very open and nice grassland spaces.

Albino Addiction ... <3
Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2013 :  12:11:03  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ScaryVonHayleystine

I think that seems fair AcidicAngel. I actually quite like your balcony view aha seems very open and nice grassland spaces.

Thank-You

Yeah, we have a nice view - Ish XD We have the woods next to us and everything though.

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
Western Hognoses
0.1 Frosted - Rose.
Go to Top of Page

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2013 :  12:40:35  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sounds nice :) Im a five minute walk away from the river (wouldnt take the snakes! aha) But its loverly scenery.

Albino Addiction ... <3
Go to Top of Page

Boomslang
Hatchling

United Kingdom
340 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2013 :  16:51:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bet you're in that shop all the time AcidicAngel hehe.But that's alittle different as it's so close :)

I'd be more worried about a snake taken for a longer walk biting someone.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
2.1.0 pygmy chameleons
Go to Top of Page

CriminalNails
Snake Mite

Spain
3 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2013 :  17:26:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have loved every comment in this thread... I actually have this project of taking my snake to a park nearby (not even 5 min. walking) because I have no garden in my house. The thing is... I live in the very center of Barcelona, and there will always be people. It has held me back until now, just because I don't know how they and the snake are going to react. I might wait until August, when my neighborhood is almost empty, so as to minimize risks.
I am glad to see there's some of you who do it :)

CriminalNails.-
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2013 :  17:45:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would be worried about them getting ill, dog,fox pee etc

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2013 :  18:56:56  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Boomslang

I bet you're in that shop all the time AcidicAngel hehe.But that's alittle different as it's so close :)

I'd be more worried about a snake taken for a longer walk biting someone.

I am lol. And yeah, I wouldn't have taken her to any of the others as the second closest is about 20 mins away and then after that it's anywhere fro m30-60 minutes to walk to a shop. This one isn't even 5 mins so she was OK lol.

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
Western Hognoses
0.1 Frosted - Rose.
Go to Top of Page

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2013 :  21:12:29  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
CriminalNails -Glad to have helped.
Scottishbluebird - i see your concern.

Albino Addiction ... <3
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000