Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Changing the feeding to two pinkies every 7 days?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

twistedmonkey
Hatchling

United Kingdom
132 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2013 :  15:18:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've noticed that as Midas is growing his feeding habits have changed, He eats perfectly and has never refused a meal, the bump after his meal is still there but now its less prominent and he has been more active than usual after his last two feeds.

Before he would hide for almost two days, now he's out the same night and his bump is gone after about an hour.

He is about 18 inches long now but quite slender, he's also had a growth spurt after his shed, the last couple of weeks he's added 2+ grams and is now 14+ grams.

I was thinking it may be time to up his feeding to two pinkies every 7 days after another feed or two. I've been keeping tabs using the very rough guide to feeding on here.

I'm learning as I go and don't want to over feed so any advice would be appreciated

serena_08
Yearling

United Kingdom
784 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2013 :  15:33:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like he could handle it to me! Double up for a few weeks and then try him on a fuzzy

1.0.0 Corn: D-Bo (Amel)
1.0.0 Western Hognose: C*ntyB*ll*cks
0.1.0 MBK: Rosa
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko: Zuko
0.0.1 Bearded Dragon: Kobe
0.0.1 Fire Bellied Toad: Snoop
1.1.0 Cats: Penny and Sheldon
1.0.0 Staffy: MooMoo

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Go to Top of Page

Coal
Hatchling

449 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2013 :  15:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Serena, sounds like one pinkie isn't really filling him up and he could do with larger portions :)

You could offer two pinkies or one fluff and see how he does. I think two pinkies would probably constitute a larger meal than one in terms of weight but a fluff is obviously wider across and so possibly more of a challenge for him to get down :)

'Lovecraft' - CB12 male amel

'Sarnath' - CB13 male KSB (anery, het. albino)
Go to Top of Page

LukeW
Hatchling

United Kingdom
276 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2013 :  18:11:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would do 2 pinkies every 5-6 days for a few weeks before a fuzzie always preferred it that way because it gets them ready for a larger meal stomach wise :)

Female normal - Cyrus (can't think of a girl name :p)

Male charcoal - Midnight

Female amel - Lilly

Female CB13 anery 100% het sunkissed - Ariel.

Male CB13 fire 100% het stripe, 50% het hypo, anery and lavender

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2013 :  19:25:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's so good to hear how well Midas is doing, Kevin....which just proves how well you're doing . And that's also shown by how you notice these changes in behaviour and what a close eye you are keeping on him.

As the others have said, it definitely sounds as though he is ready to move to double pinkies . I know some people jump straight to fuzzies, but as LukeW has said, giving double pinkies first prepares his stomach for the larger meal and it also gives him a bit of added calcium for a few feeds which is good for them at this stage. Keeping him on double pinkies for a bit will hopefully add some width to him as you say he's fairly slender. I'm sure you know that when you move to fuzzies not to give him any that are more than 1.5 times wider than his widest part .

One point, you say you're going to feed weekly. I'm assuming he's on 1 pinkie every 5 days, in which case personally I'd feed him every 6 days rather than weekly. But that's just me .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

twistedmonkey
Hatchling

United Kingdom
132 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2013 :  20:04:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ill start him on double pinkies on his next feed going on all your advice with him being slender Ill keep an eye on his growth as like you said anything bigger than 1.5 of his widest is no good

Ill be picking up some more pinkies tomorrow, Ill also pick up a couple of fuzzies at the same time, I can then see first hand the size of them and it will help me gage up when he'll be ready to move up.

He's growing nicely at his own pace and starting to get more and more used to me it shows with him pooping on me yet again I was too slow this time and it ended up on my t shirt but I see it as part of him being comfortable that he's relaxed enough to poop on his slave

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2013 :  11:25:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is so good hearing how well he's doing and, as I be said before, it shows how well you're doing . I'm sure he'll thrive on the double pinkies and it won't be long before he's ready for fuzzies.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000