food sell by date
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

conormclaren
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2013 :  20:51:12  Show Profile  Visit conormclaren's Homepage  Send conormclaren a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
hello i have just brought some fuzzies 20 to be precise how long will they last in my freezer my freind said they go off and turn black in like a month or so and 20 is well over 1 month :/ have i just wasted my money and for the future how meny should i buy meny thanks :)

1 ghost corn snake

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2013 :  21:00:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I vacuum pack mine and they are still like new after 6 months I think normally they'll be fine for at least a few months, sometimes around 6? They shouldn't go black, if anything they might get a bit freezer burnt, which looks white.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

SilverWings
Yearling

United Kingdom
740 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2013 :  21:01:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had mine in the freezer for 4 months and they're fine, i keep mine wrapped in a bag in a plastic container to prevent freezer burns.

2.2.3 Corn snakes; Red, Rosie, Liana, Checkers, Luna, Diego, Snowman
1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Snake; Aleron
1.0 Green Anoles; Doug
1.0 Greyhound; Lee
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2013 :  22:22:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A month? Not being funny, but is your friend using a freezer compartment in a fridge or something? Because they should last plenty longer than that don't worry :D

Go to Top of Page

Coal
Hatchling

449 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2013 :  08:45:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm fairly sure things can last almost indefinitely in a freezer, though they may start to get very freezer burnt after a long while. In any case, as long as their in airtight containers/bags they should be just fine :)

'Lovecraft' - CB12 male amel

'Sarnath' - CB13 male KSB (anery, het. albino)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2013 :  09:43:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so glad you are checking things Conor because its so easy to be misled by wrong information. I'm not sure why your friend thinks that things in the freezer go off so quickly and turn black. I get my mice from Pets at Home and they come in little individual bags. I think I had some mediums for about 6 months and they were absolutely fine. The most important thing is to make sure the bag the fluffs are in is twisted or sealed shut, to prevent freezer burn, but they should be fine .

As for how many you should by, it's not something any of us can easily answer. All snakes grow differently and move up the food sizes differently. Some may be on pinkies longer than others, while some may quickly move up to fuzzies and then fluffs. With these sizes you can feed doubles once your snake is ready so you can get through them and there isn't a rush to move up sizes so you can finish whatever you've bought rather than waste them by throwing them away. I generally buy about 12 large mice at a time per snake, which lasts 3 months for me. But mine aren't growing so their needs are totally different to your snake. Sorry I can't help more.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2013 :  19:46:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 3 snakes and I bought 50large and 25medium about a month ago expecting them to last approx. 6mths I keep them in sealed tubs in the freezer and they don't seem to alter one little bit.

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

Foxtrotsierra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
485 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2013 :  06:28:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As others have said, you haven't wasted your money at all. I got my little girl back in March and bought lots of food for her then and we are still using that stock, an no freezer burn either. I have had to throw one pinkie out in that time as it was a little bloody round the nose so thought it better to be safe than sorry. All the others have been perfect and I have some fuzzies in there too as she is nearly ready for them, and they are perfect too

0.1.0 Snow - Cathy (digesting, waiting for her photo op)
0.1.0 Carolina - Delilah
0.1.0 King Charles Cavalier - Emily
0.1.0 St Bernard - Pooch
0.1.0 Manx Cat - Maggie
0.0.1 HUGE tropical fish tank + residents
1.0.0 Husband (thinks I am insane)
3.2.0 Children (think I am cool!)
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2013 :  08:09:00  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've never had an issue with my frozen rodents and I buy in bulk for my little lot.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2013 :  12:09:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just be careful if the mice do have the freezer burn marks, (white blobs) these have a tendacy to burst more often..! Make sure you defrost by air, not the common in a mug of warm water because that will make them explode. :)

They'll be fine in a freezer 6months +
Go to Top of Page

Thorne Walker
Yearling

Canada
642 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2013 :  15:00:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I over bought pinks when I got Kitty.. They've been in my freezer in a set of nested bags for about 2 Y E A R S..

Still look ok, The cats still gobble them up without hesitation...

Keep them well wrapped and they'll last just fine.

1.0.0 CB'11 Volcano Corn 'Kitty'
0.0.1 CB'11 Russian Rat Snake 'Monster'
2.0.0 CB'04 Roof Rabbits 'Baka Neko-San' and 'Usagi Neko-San'

My Setup :http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27228
The Kids: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26248
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000