New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

carl
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2013 :  22:33:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got my first Corn,4 years old and just over 5ft. had him for almost a week now and i plan to offer him his first feed. he has been out of his hide a couple of times but has stayed mostly hidden. How am i best approaching his first feed. Cheers CARL

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2013 :  22:36:52  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
depends how he is used to it, in his viv or in his tub, use tongs if he strike feeds or leave it beside him if he is a shy eater.
Make sure temps are ok for digestion and that he has a hide to go back to once fed.

Albino Addiction ... <3
0.1.0 - Creamsicle Cornsnake (Mo)
1.0.0 - Bubblegum Snow Corn (Gabriel)
1.0.0 - Lavendar 100% Het Hypo Corn (Ezra)
1.0.0 - Bairds Rat Snake (Lazarus)
0.0.1 - Crested Gecko (Pan)
Go to Top of Page

yalovit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2013 :  23:08:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
did the person you got it from not say how its fed?

female corn mist.staffy cross English bull Kelsey
Go to Top of Page

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2013 :  08:22:43  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Just a top tip;If you are going to put him in a tub/rub to feed him-
make sure you wash your hands if you have handled the food item
I know it sounds obvious BUT its too easy to forget and end up with a 'special'snakey kiss
My guys know when its feeding time I even had a 'liberty' snake return to the same viv on the same day/time for dinner
Go to Top of Page

Coal
Hatchling

449 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2013 :  08:42:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just put the mouse on a piece of card in the viv just outside whichever hide he's in; he helps himself then. The card is to stop bits of substrate getting stuck to the food and him swallowing it :)

I've never had any problems feeding this way; he's always taken it within ten mins of me putting the mouse in :)

Best of luck <3

'Lovecraft' - CB12 male amel

'Sarnath' - CB13 male KSB (anery, het. albino)

Edited by - Coal on 28/06/2013 10:56:23
Go to Top of Page

Foxtrotsierra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
485 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2013 :  10:15:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hia carl, and welcome - I have been a bit remiss in saying hello to everyone who has just joined.

I think, as mjpeters said, if you can find out how his previous owner fed him that would be a huge help - i.e., out of the viv/in the viv, on tongs or left in the RUB (really useful box, which most corns are fed in - mine isn't but she eats fine off the tongs in her viv) it would help your first feed with him.

It sounds encouraging that he has been out of his hide a couple of times with you around - I know you said he has stayed hidden but I bet he has been checking his new home out when you are not around!

If you can't get any information off the previous owner then I would try feeding him in his RUB with the mouse on a pair of tongs offering it head first. Don't tap your new snake on the head with the snake as it can stress them. Just wiggle it around a little in front of him on the same level as his head so that he can see it isn't a threat.

If he takes a while, don't be worried, just let him take his time. Once he has got the mouse down, lift him out of the RUB gently, supporting the lump where his food is.

If he isn't going to go for it, you can try leaving the mouse in the viv overnight so that he can eat it at his leisure. As Coal said, leaving it on a piece of card near his favourite hide will stop him ingesting substrate but don't worry if he does get a little bit.

I looked after a friend's fully grown corn for a few weeks and I was absolutely terrified giving him his first meal as I only have a little tiny corn but it was fine.

There may be some info in this thread that can help, and if you want anymore, I am sure the more experienced members will be along soon to help you out

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27833

Would love to know how you get on with him.

0.1.0 Snow - Cathy (digesting, waiting for her photo op)
0.1.0 Carolina - Delilah
0.1.0 King Charles Cavalier - Emily
0.1.0 St Bernard - Pooch
0.1.0 Manx Cat - Maggie
0.0.1 HUGE tropical fish tank + residents
1.0.0 Husband (thinks I am insane)
3.2.0 Children (think I am cool!)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2013 :  20:34:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carl . Think I've been chatting to you on the Facebook group. IF I'm right then your first feed of Stanley has gone well .....if I'm wrong then I'll be very embarrassed !!

Xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000