Male or Female
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marcus214
Snake Mite

31 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  19:13:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before i get my snake, i was curious as to whether there are certain pros or cons to either sex. Is one more tame or friendlier than the other?

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  19:40:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nope, no difference in owning either sex

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  20:01:22  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Many moons ago I asked the same question.
I have both sexes and they're both the same really.
Each snake has it's own personality but that is nothing to do with their sex.
The normal snake characteristics apply to both genders.
Just find the snake you like....you'll soon become addicted!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  21:05:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think there's any difference personality wise. Except at breeding season when they are adults. Some adult males stop eating for a little while, which doesn't normally do them any harm, and occasionally some adult females will lay infertile eggs.

I'd say if you like a snake and don't intend to breed from it then gender isn't important really.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2013 :  06:35:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

Many moons ago I asked the same question........

I remember you asking that Herriotfan, time has flown so fast ! Then came 'Hissin' Sid' and the decline into corn snake addiction began .

I totally agree with Moppet, Marcus....and Herriotfan, of course . I've got both males and a female, who I though was a male. The differences in them are definitely down to the character of each snake....and how they've been treated before unfortunately, with one of mine .

Moppet brought up two good points, firstly about adult males going off their food and being exceedingly active during breeding season. Kellog has just started eating having refused food from the end of February. It is frustrating but you know why they aren't eating, that its totally natural and that it will come to an end. Also, some females do the same thing, it isn't restricted to males. Secondly the laying of slugs, infertile eggs, with females. This does happen and, again, there's nothing you can do about it. My Silvi has done it twice now. But it is a small minority of females that do it, as far as I can see, and as long as the snake is healthy it shouldn't be an issue.

Unless you have breeding plans go out and fall in love with a snake . It doesn't matter whether its male or female or even what morph it is....you'll find the right snake for you.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2013 :  16:36:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only thing I would say is that, as has been mentioned above, with females there is always the risk of laying slugs and as a few of our forum members have found out that can be life changing/threatening for the snake if things go wrong. One reason why I wish I had 2 male rather than female corns.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000