Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Corn snake consapated and yawning on bath?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hayden764
Egg

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  07:33:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a male corn snake who is a year and a quarter old and has became consapated so we put him in a bath as people suggested but then he stop moving and started to constantly open his mouth I didn't have a clue what this meant. So if you know what this means please tell me and if its something to worry about!

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  08:19:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you give us some more information Hayden....the more we know the easier it is to help. You say he's constipated, when was the last time he went? Is he normally regular? Does he have a bulge near his vent? Where is he fed, in his viv or out? Has he recently changed feed size? Is his heatmat controlled by a stat and monitored by a digital thermometer? I'm trying to ensure that his temps are ok for digestion....what are the temps in the warm end? Is he due a shed? That may explain the yawning....or I guess it could be a sign of stress from being in the bath.

Both Kellog and Silvi go regularly a couple of days after they are fed and then a couple of days later normally. But Asher is a different matter entirely . He often goes between feeds without doing anything and recently went for nearly 3 weeks without relieving himself ! There wasn't anything wrong, it was just nature playing tricks on me and making me worry . I know that baths do seem to encourage snakes to poo....but recently I had to give Silvi one to remove some retained shed. It was obvious she needed to poo but she didn't do anything in the bath, despite being in it for quite a while. She waited until I'd taken her out, put her on the 'snake towel' and she'd slithered off it onto the white bath mat !! Luckily I had a damp tea towel close at hand so I managed to 'catch' what she did....otherwise I'd be a single woman now .

It probably isn't anything to worry about, but I know how easy that is to say and hard to do. Try and give us as much info as you can....and hopefully by the time you read this it won't be necessary because he'll have done a lovely poo, probably on your lap .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  09:32:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What was the water temperature?

Many guides often say " give them a warm bath" , but the water shouldn't be more than 28 - 29 C ( which to us feels cold ), otherwise the snake can get into temperature shock! I did exactly that, gave my constipated hatchling a " luke warm bath" - which would have been about 37 C ( ! ) and she went rigid! I quickly took her out, and she was ok, but it was a close call.

If you think about it, the snake is around 21C if he sits in a old hide, or can be around 28 C if he's sat in warm hide. Water that feels warm to us can be around 38 - 40 C! We wouldn't have that temperature in the viv, as staying at that temperature would kill the snake...

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

hayden764
Egg

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  05:24:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you but he did it yesterday and although he's got some still in him he is getting there.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2013 :  07:21:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the late reply Hayden. I'm so glad that your snake has 'been'. You must be so relieved....and so must he . I hope he manages to empty himself properly soon.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000