New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andria2013
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  15:40:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
reptile shop adived me to put the heatmats on the back inside wooden viv . does any1 have it set up like that . is it better or worse ? just wondering which way etter for when i set new viv up next week

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  16:19:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd put it on the floor of the viv. On the side of the viv your snake will not get the heat it needs.

Go to Top of Page

Lee
Yearling

United Kingdom
522 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  16:50:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mine is on the floor inside the viv, small hole made in the back wall to pass the wire through and it can't be seen, then a little of your chosen bedding and a hide on top.

1.2.4 Corn Snakes - Carolina, 2 x Bloodred het Lavender, Amel, Snow, Anery and Carolina.
0.0.1 Cali King - Ziggy - escaped!!
RIP Princess x
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  17:13:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mine are all on the floor

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

andria2013
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  18:25:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the viv ive got now has it on floor but reptile shop has all his on the side. and says its better so snake dont get burnt . thats why I asked /

Go to Top of Page

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  18:50:15  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
When you use a matstat the snakey should not get burnt
Go to Top of Page

Lee
Yearling

United Kingdom
522 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  18:52:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah it's probably because they don't want to pay out for a load of thermostats for each viv/tank so putting the mat on the side prevents the snake coming in prolonged contact with the mat that may be too hot.

1.2.4 Corn Snakes - Carolina, 2 x Bloodred het Lavender, Amel, Snow, Anery and Carolina.
RIP Princess x
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  19:44:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
like mjpeters has said if mats are correctly stated then the snake won't get burnt. their thinking is flawed anyway as we've all seen how good at climbing snakes are so what would stop snakie coming into contact if it was on the side of the viv?!

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  10:14:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh dear. petshop advice strikes again. All of my mats are on the floor with thermostats, they should not get warm enough to burn if they are statted...

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

Lee
Yearling

United Kingdom
522 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  11:53:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Makes you wonder where they get their information from, especially reptile shops. I read some advice on a reptile shop site yesterday that stated 'corn snakes can not be overfed'!!

RIP Princess x
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  17:30:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You soooo did the right thing by asking here, understandably if a reptile shop gives advice, you EXPECT it to be right. But sadly they are hardly ever right

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

andria2013
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  18:48:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes I though that , that's why I asked here .

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2013 :  06:42:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so glad you are checking the advice you're given by the reptile shop Andria , it's what I always do. My nearest reptile shop strongly believes thermostats aren't necessary and doesn't even stock them ! The arguments I had with my OH about getting a thermostat because, as far as he was concerned, the reptile shop guy bred his own snakes and knew what he was talking about....whereas we (being the forum) wrap our snakes up in cotton-wool and make too much of a fuss about everything . Needless to say, I won the argument....but he only gave in to shut me up .

People DO put the heatmats on the back wall of their vivs. It even suggests it in some heatmat instructions, I think. But, as you've been told, it isn't the best place for them....and, in fact, it's just wasting them putting them there and your snake doesn't benefit. BUT that is only my personal opinion, of course .

Keep asking questions and checking up on things Andria....I know you want what's best for Robin and Albion .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000