New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marrie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  16:49:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought Hisss(my corn) last Friday and fed him as well.. left him digest the food for 48 hours.. yeah in between I did try and touch it but was aggressive bad then with time became more aggressive.. and now from last three days IT HASN'T MOVED STILL UNDER HIS HIDE :( I did try and move him he got up once in nothing got aggressive again :( not letting me pick him up...
DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO
really wanna play with him but he makes me scared...
he is only 6month old... HOW BIG would his teeth be?? will they hurt IF HE BITES me????
HELP

Maryum

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  17:22:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He needs a full week to settle in before trying to handle him I'd leave him alone until after the weekend, only do water changes. Try putting a clean sock with your scent on it beside his hide so he gets used to your scent.

Go to Top of Page

Marrie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  17:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks a lot for the reply really feeling sad for him not responding.. not his fault it's just my first experience so a bit too excited I think...
if he bites would it hurt?? how strong his teeth would be?? he is only 6 months old

Maryum
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  18:13:22  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He will certainly not hurt you if he bites you. At that age they can bite you and you not even feel a thing

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

Marrie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  21:34:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks a lot for the reply really feeling sad for him not responding.. not his fault it's just my first experience so a bit too excited I think...
if he bites would it hurt?? how strong his teeth would be?? he is only 6 months old

Maryum
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  01:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wouldnt hurt, i know this is hard as i jump when my toast pops but if he does bite, try not to pull away, as he could lose some teeth

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  07:04:19  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have a corn who is a couple of months older than yours, occasionally he will bite but I don't even feel it

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  07:18:17  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Also could we have some pictures of his home? to make sure everything is as it should be, I'm sure it is but doesn't hurt to double check

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  11:26:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leave him a bit longer to settle in and just go in daily to change his water, while doing so touch a few things in the faun(?) to transfer your scent so he gets used to it. Make sure that after a feed you do not disturb him at all for 48hrs. Have you read the care sheets on setup etc? eg have you got a thermostat controlling the heat mat, and are you measuring the temps with a digital thermometer which has the probe in contact with the mat (if in a viv) or bottom of the faun over the mat if it is outside?

At that age I never saw one of my corns unless I got her out of a hide as she was very shy so would advise that after a week's settling in time you just bite the bullet and get him out for 5 mins or so a day to get him used to you... the only time I wouldn't do this is if you think he might be getting ready to shed, in which case he will look very dull and belly chequers will be very cloudy if he has any (you don't mention what morph (colour) he is).

As above, we need more info about your setup to make sure it is correct.. what temp is his warm side, does he have a hide at each end, etc etc.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  14:08:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you read the Handling tips Maryum? That explains about leaving him to settle in and how best to get him, and you, used to handling.

I agree with what the others have asked, the more information we have about Hiss and his set-up the better....so what he is kept in, whether it is heated with a heatmat that is controlled by a thermostat and monitored by a digital thermometer, what the temperature is in the warm end, has he got a hide in each end, and anything else you can think of.

As has been said, you must leave snakes alone for 48hrs after they've eaten so that they can digest their food properly, otherwise they might throw it back up. And he also needs this week to get over the stress of being moved and get used to his new home before you try to handle him.

Most of the time I only see my snakes when I get them out to feed them and to handle them, so don't be surprised that he is hiding away....it's natural. He is probably coming out and exploring when you are asleep.

Make sure you read the threads in the 'Stickies' section, they will explain why he's behaving the way he is and what you can do to make sure he is happy, healthy and safe.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  20:31:47  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
he's not being aggressive, he just wants to hide away in a safe place from predators while he digests his food. Because he lives in a small box and not the wide open world he has nowhere to run away from you so takes a defensive stance.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory

Edited by - eeji on 03/05/2013 20:33:39
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000