Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Calica
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2013 :  20:44:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not entirely sure where to post this, but I'm looking for advice on this snake I'm going to be getting.
I only recently got my first corn for christmas and I love it to bits (still haven't gotten it gender checked yet because it's too young ??) and my heart cried out to this other snake my mum told me about. Her friend's son bought a snake and got 'bored' of it, so he's been neglecting it, it hardly gets fed, isn't in a proper cage and is just kept in some unknown container ( I don't know what size, I don't know if it has anything in with it ) and shoved under a radiator because they don't have a heat pad for it. It's gender is also unknown and it strikes because it gets no attention, that's not an issue for me because my snake (Fiesty, clue is in the name!) struck a lot when it was younger and it's warmed up to me now and is as docile as anything.

I was wondering how I should go about this, getting a second Vivarium is top of my list, putting in a heat pad and getting all the essentials, even going to get it checked at the vets when I've got it because I want to make sure it's not got any unknown problems.
I've never had to have something put in quarantine before because like I said, this is my first time and the snake is coming from an unknown seller and household.

But anyway, quarantine tips please!

I really want to help this poor thing out and I have two weeks to get everything set up for it.

And for later advice: If this snake turns out to be the same gender as my other snake, over a period of time can I introduce them to one another and then have them in the same vivarium?

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2013 :  21:00:56  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Quarantine in a seperate room for at least three months.
Thorough hand washing before and after handling.
Seperate equipment (i.e feeding tongs etc) for each snake.
Personally I wouldn't keep to snakes in one viv. It causes stress and could lead to problems.
Well done for taking this poor wee snake...lets hope it makes it!
Oh, and welcome to the forum.
If you have any other questions please ask.....

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2013 :  21:09:13  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome. For quarantine ideally put the new snake in another room if possible and if not then as far away from your existing corn as possible. Always deal with your current corn first and then the new one after remembering to wash hands in between. I leave it a minimum of 3 months for quarantine and a lot of people say 6 months but I know others who do a lot less and others that don't do it at all but I always advise on doing it. As for co-habiting that is a whole discussion on its own and there is a sticky all about it that I suggest you read and then make your own mind up.

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2013 :  22:01:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum. Donnie and Herriotfan have already covered it pretty well - I could just add, perhaps you don't need to rush and buy second vivarium straight away. As the new snake will be in quarantine, you might find it easier to keep him in RUB ( really useful box ). They are very easy to keep clean, more portable than vivs, and you'll be able to watch the snake better and spot any potential problems easier. That way it'll give you more time to sort out the new vivarium during the quarantine period.
Good luck with him, and good on you for taking him on!

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

mrsbunt
Hatchling

United Kingdom
280 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2013 :  22:15:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good luck

hubby bunt (Graeme),3 daughters Amy, Lisa and Erin.
1 amel corn Sheldon and 1 normal corn Toby Larone.
1 staffy cross Kaiser
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2013 :  10:09:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I won't repeat what's been said about the quarantine, you've been given the best advice by herriotfan and Donnie. As for whether you put them together once your new one has settled I would also agree with what's been said. Donnie suggested you read the sticky about co-habiting, but that's quite long and shows what a hot topic this is. Hopefully this will help you learn more about why its not a good idea to keep 2 snakes together http://www.masondixonreptiles.com/Cohabitation.html

I'm so glad that you are taking this snake on. I took on one that was in very much the same state as you are describing. It does take time but it is so worth the effort. Please keep asking for help if you need it. You know that's what this forum is here for.

I do hope you'll keep us up to date with how things go.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2013 :  12:54:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome seems everything has been covered in regards to the rescue of yet another unwanted snake. Rescued one myself last October and its horrible to see the way some people care for their pets. Just to help you should know that mine has turned into a lovely friendly little fella and has become a much better fed and clean snake. He is also piling the weight on and it is great to have seen him grow into such a lovely snake with just a bit of care and attention. Good luck to you both for the future

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

Calica
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2013 :  16:34:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, this is great advice, thank you all so much!
I'll update again when I finally have the snake in about two weeks, I'm just sad I can't save it right away :( The family is bringing it to my parents when they go on a caravan weekend away. Don't worry, my parents are prepared to keep it warm with head pads and I'll be prepared with a better RUB than what it's in when it gets home.
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2013 :  19:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So glad you are saving this poor snake from a miserable existence! Look forward to pics when you get him :D

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2013 :  01:44:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Calica

Wow, this is great advice, thank you all so much!
I'll update again when I finally have the snake in about two weeks, I'm just sad I can't save it right away :( The family is bringing it to my parents when they go on a caravan weekend away. Don't worry, my parents are prepared to keep it warm with head pads and I'll be prepared with a better RUB than what it's in when it gets home.

Thanks so much for promising to update us when you get the snake . You realise we'll want pics !!

Try not to feel too bad that you can't get it sooner....what's important is that you are taking it away from an awful situation and a couple more weeks of waiting isn't terrible if you look at the bigger picture. I'm just glad that you have parents who are happy to help you, and it, out.....I can't see my mum ever doing that, she can just about cope with sitting in the same room as my snakes !

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Calica
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2013 :  17:31:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright! We got the snake today! It's bigger than I was expecting but what a lovely thing it is! I'm not sure what morph it is, anyone got any ideas? I didn't manage to get a picture of it's face but it's got kinda silvery eyes.. I'll have some more pics up later hopefully but this is the state of it's cage (The water bowl was missing cause mum was cleaning it but it was so dirty that it had black all around the inside of it) and here's a slight body/tail shot of the snake and its markings.. Now I just have to name it and get it sexed :3

http://imageshack.us/a/img59/7758/imag0670z.jpg <- cage
http://imageshack.us/a/img833/9950/imag0671y.jpg <- body

That's TWO skins in there, you can see how long it's gone without getting cleaned out :(

More shots
http://imageshack.us/a/img803/1026/imag0673l.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img856/6114/imag0674c.jpg

It doesn't feed from tongs very well and I'm assuming its because the food it's been given has just been dropped in the cage and its had to pick it up by itself for a long time, but it did eat what I gave it. Going to buy some fluffs tomorrow because all I had to give was pinkies, for now it's resting in it's new clean viv and with a somewhat full stomach (hadn't been fed for two weeks!) and the luxuries of a lovely heat mat (something it didn't have before!).

Edited by - Calica on 30/03/2013 18:00:52
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2013 :  17:40:19  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He's a stunning snake :) looks anery or ghost to me

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2013 :  18:05:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG his old tank was disgusting :( I'm so glad you saved him, he's a lovely looking little thing - looks anery to me - same as our Corno :)

Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2013 :  18:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like an anery to me the state of that faun was disgusting

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2013 :  04:12:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a gorgeous looking snake Calica , and I would go with anery, mainly because it looks quite like my Silvi....but I am terrible with morphs so don't take my word for it !

I echo what the others have said, it's horrible seeing the state it was living in and I'm guessing the cage was too small for it as well. Why do people do this to animals ?!

I'm glad it's eaten. I would suggest you leave it for a week now, so it can get over the stress of the move and get used to its wonderful new home. Personally I'd then feed it, wait the 48hrs and then handling it. I know it means waiting longer til you can handle it, but what's important is that it's feeling secure and is eating....especially considering its background. Hopefully, in time, you will be able to feed it from tongs, but all that matters at the moment is that it eats.

As far as a name is concerned, this thread might help, Snake names There are just a few suggestions .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Foxtrotsierra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
485 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2013 :  07:23:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Calica, I can't believe the state of the cage, but the snake is gorgeous and I am so glad it is with you.

I have absolutely NO experience with bigger snakes, but have a TON of hands on with "what to do with a snake you weren't expecting" so if there is anything I can do to help, or send you in the right direction of the people who have given their help so freely and helpfully for my Cathy, just send the Bat signal up and I will try to help.

Am so glad you have got her (in my mind, looks like a her ) home and she is now living the life of a football star with you

0.1.0 Snow - Cathy (digesting, waiting for her photo op)
0.1.0 Carolina - Delilah
0.1.0 King Charles Cavalier - Emily
0.1.0 St Bernard - Pooch
0.1.0 Manx Cat - Maggie
0.0.1 HUGE tropical fish tank + residents
1.0.0 Husband (thinks I am insane)
3.2.0 Children (think I am cool!)
Go to Top of Page

Calica
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2013 :  18:13:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

UPDATE!!

We managed to take the new snake to a local reptile store (where I got Fiesty) and get it all checked out, turns out a little underweight but that should be fixed within a month of good eatings. We've been adviced to give two fluffs/fuzzies every four days for a month to fatten it up. Also got it sexed at the same time, turns out it's female! Foxtrotsierra was right in their guess! Haha~ I've named her Vortex and she IS an Anery. Thank you all so much for your concern and advice :3

Go to Top of Page

mrsbunt
Hatchling

United Kingdom
280 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2013 :  23:58:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
glad all is well with Vortex, she is lovely and very lucky to have been rescued

hubby bunt (Graeme),3 daughters Amy, Lisa and Erin.
1 amel corn Sheldon and 1 normal corn Toby Larone.
1 staffy cross Kaiser
Go to Top of Page

Foxtrotsierra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
485 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2013 :  07:08:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is fantastic news Calica, Vortex is extremely lucky to have you and her new home. And I stand by what I said, she is gorgeous. Can't wait to see her progression with you

(edited to add, Foxtrotsierra is a gob full, please call me Fi!)

0.1.0 Snow - Cathy (digesting, waiting for her photo op)
0.1.0 Carolina - Delilah
0.1.0 King Charles Cavalier - Emily
0.1.0 St Bernard - Pooch
0.1.0 Manx Cat - Maggie
0.0.1 HUGE tropical fish tank + residents
1.0.0 Husband (thinks I am insane)
3.2.0 Children (think I am cool!)

Edited by - Foxtrotsierra on 06/04/2013 11:05:11
Go to Top of Page

CharlyCroker
Egg

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2013 :  12:43:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vortex, awesome name. Nice work on being a snake rescuer..

1.0.0 Snow Corn snake, Danno
1.1.0 Cats, Meeka & Murphy
1.0.0 Horsefield Tortoise, Albert
0.0.1 Giant African Snail, Crunchie
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2013 :  09:49:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Calica

UPDATE!!

We managed to take the new snake to a local reptile store (where I got Fiesty) and get it all checked out, turns out a little underweight but that should be fixed within a month of good eatings. We've been adviced to give two fluffs/fuzzies every four days for a month to fatten it up. Also got it sexed at the same time, turns out it's female! Foxtrotsierra was right in their guess! Haha~ I've named her Vortex and she IS an Anery. Thank you all so much for your concern and advice :3

Vortex is a lovely name Calica . I'm glad that she's had a check over and seems to be ok, other than being a bit underweight.

I'm assuming it was the reptile store that advised you to feed her 2 fluffs/fuzzies every 4 days? In my opinion I'd be concerned about feeding her that amount in such quick succession. Even hatchlings are usually fed every 5 days. She needs time to digest fully, and it will take her body a while to adjust to eating more if she has been underfed for a while. Personally I'd feed her every 5 days, if not 6....which is the usual gap with fluffs and fuzzies. I know you're wanting to get the weight on her, but it's better not to power-feed her now and instead just allow her to put on weight steadily over time. But I will stress that this is only my personal opinion!

Xxx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000