Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Foxtrotsierra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
485 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2013 :  12:42:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have got a little girl that I refer to as light, not underweight anymore. I was borderline hysterical at one point, but my little girl eats at her own pace, not by any plan. After speaking to my herp vet, he reiterates what so many of the long standing members and breeders on here say. As long as she is eating, pooping and drinking, Vortex will let you know when she is hungry.

My little Cathy was 9g when I got her and today I weighed her (exactly 4 weeks to the day since she came home) and she is ......... 15g! I am very proud of her. Going to let her self get up another gram or so, then on to the next phase of feeding.

Just let Vortex let you know when she is hungry. I had The Munson Plan in mind, but Cathy has other plans. I have had a couple of refusals off her, but no regurges (she is a known regurger). I am happy if I can get her to eat once a week, just upping the prey items by a gram each time as it no longer leaves a bump in her.

0.1.0 Snow - Cathy (digesting, waiting for her photo op)
0.1.0 Carolina - Delilah
0.1.0 King Charles Cavalier - Emily
0.1.0 St Bernard - Pooch
0.1.0 Manx Cat - Maggie
0.0.1 HUGE tropical fish tank + residents
1.0.0 Husband (thinks I am insane)
3.2.0 Children (think I am cool!)
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2013 :  14:33:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd tend to agree with what Kellog had said, feeding every 5-6 days. If she hasn't been fed properly for a long time, she'll need to adjust to regular feeding,and bigger doses. I'd say feeding that amount,every 4 days, might overload her system a bit, and the last thing you need is her starting to refuse, or even worse, regurge.
I'd even go as far, as to say- leave a week till the next feed, then do another in 6 days, then another 6, then 5, then 6 again - or similar. See, how she goes, you'll soon get the feel of what suits her best. :-)

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2013 :  19:13:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another vote for 2 fluffs every 4 days is far too much here! Poor thing will spend her whole time digesting and it could really stress her tum, especially considering she is not used to it :( Normally fluffs would be every 6-7 days, so I'd go 6 at the soonest personally. Hope she picks up soon xx

Go to Top of Page

Calica
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  19:32:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone,
Thanks for the advice and I was thinking every four days was way too soon and might cause problems, I'm glad you've all given me more advice for her and I think I'll go with every six days so I don't stress her out- plus she's just starting a shedding cycle as well lmao wasn't looking forward to stressing her out during that with feeding but she's a couple of days into it so in a couple of days time she should be alright to feed and not get stressed via her shedding.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  19:57:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shows how good your instincts were Calica ....you were thinking just like we were! Trust her to go into shedding mode just as you've got her. She'll be fine without food until she's shed and then you can offer her some food. I know you want to get some weight on her, but a few extra days wait to avoid stressing her out is better than a refusal....as you've already worked out .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  20:19:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, well done for rescuing such a beautiful snake, everyone's given you fab advice and it sounds like your doing a good job :-) I agree with Kellog, I personally would opt for 5/6 rather than 4.

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Calica
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2013 :  18:27:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reviving with an update!!

Vortex is doing well, shes feeding and I'll be uploading a video of her soon..
But this is me showing some photos of her tail tip, the last two sheds she had (while not in my care) her tail tip didn't off and so she's it's gone all black..

http://imageshack.us/a/img23/3282/imag0707m.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img803/3469/imag0711e.jpg

I read about what happens and I'm pretty certain the end is dead and will come off in its own time? She'll have a stumpy tail but I saw that its quite common for this to happen? Is there anything I can do to help her or anything I shouldn't do? Thanks guys~
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2013 :  11:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so pleased to hear how well Vortex is doing . Thanks for keeping us updated.

I don't have any experience with retained shed on tail tips, but, to me, it looks like the damage has been done and there is nothing you can do except wait for the tip to drop off. The only thing I can think of is to maybe put her on kitchen roll, so that she doesn't get substrate on the damaged end and risk infection. Sorry I can't help any more .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Foxtrotsierra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
485 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2013 :  11:57:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't help with tips with regards to retained shed on her tail, but you KNOW it isn't your fault or bad husbandry that has caused it.

Really glad to hear that she is doing well, and am looking forwards to the videos of her too

0.1.0 Snow - Cathy (digesting, waiting for her photo op)
0.1.0 Carolina - Delilah
0.1.0 King Charles Cavalier - Emily
0.1.0 St Bernard - Pooch
0.1.0 Manx Cat - Maggie
0.0.1 HUGE tropical fish tank + residents
1.0.0 Husband (thinks I am insane)
3.2.0 Children (think I am cool!)
Go to Top of Page

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2013 :  23:19:36  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Calica

Reviving with an update!!

Vortex is doing well, shes feeding and I'll be uploading a video of her soon..
But this is me showing some photos of her tail tip, the last two sheds she had (while not in my care) her tail tip didn't off and so she's it's gone all black

I read about what happens and I'm pretty certain the end is dead and will come off in its own time? She'll have a stumpy tail but I saw that its quite common for this to happen? Is there anything I can do to help her or anything I shouldn't do? Thanks guys~

Hi there,I have a whole passel of rescue corns-our George came to us with a constricting band where he had neglected retained shed to his tail tip (I have put up before and after pics.)Our vet gave us 'tamodine'which we applied twice.He lost the last 2 vertibrae of his tail and he's now a great chap.
Well done you for getting a rescueand an Anery at that
Go to Top of Page

Calica
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2013 :  18:44:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPDATE!

So there are videos over here of her eating and some vids of Fiesty too.
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28807

But here's an image of her tail now the dead tip has come off, she's doing just fine!
http://24.media.tumblr.com/0d41a63622cf265110c57c6e20367d64/tumblr_mmye90kV3K1rui0r0o1_1280.jpg

Edited by - Calica on 17/05/2013 18:46:15
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2013 :  08:21:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both of those are brilliant to see Calica . I hadn't seen the video before because my iPad didn't used to like playing them but my son's done something to it and its behaving itself....for now . She eats exactly like mine do sometimes....she just takes longer than they do . It is frustrating when they are 'faffing about', wandering around as though their meal isn't there, then nudging it, until they finally decide to eat ....but, as you said on that thread, all that's important is that she's eating.

I'm so pleased to see how good her tail is since the dead tip came off. Is the end totally dry and sealed? It wasn't easy to tell from the pic.

She really is a success story....and that's down to you , don't forget that!!

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

asmodias
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2013 :  10:11:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People make me feel ill sometimes. Hell, I am by no means the perfect snake owner; I've still got a lot to learn about my corns but by god I try my best to make them healthy and happy.

But that? Jesus Christ almighty, there's not being interested and there's just not caring at all. That's disgusting. Being seventeen I find the whole 18+ for pet purchases a pest (although it's seldom enforced if you know your stuff, at least in my area) but assuming that your friends son is under 18 I can see why this sort of law came into effect.

OT: She's a beautiful one and not in bad shape either, everything considered. Hell, my Anery is a little boy named Fawkes and has the full set-up and has my attention on a daily basis - didn't stop his annoying tail from developing badly. You've got quite the little fighter there by the looks of it!

Edited by Kellog to use a more appropriate word

Edited by - Kellog on 28/05/2013 09:38:06
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000