OK so...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2013 :  14:10:23  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm still getting used to the whole genetics thing with corns and other reps so would like someone to helps me out here as I think I've been wrongly advised by someone XD

I have a pair of corns as many of you know, now they have locked a good 6 times and I've seen them lock for definite as the male held her down for a good 5-10 minutes and then he let her go. Now, here's my first(topic unrelated) question... How long should it be before she lays? Last lock was in November last year! She doesn't even feel or act any different... She just acts exactly the same as normal, still a pig and everything. She's shedding every month at least and every time she does I think "Ooh, this could be it!" and put a laying box with Damp Vermiculite and Spagnum Moss in but nothing

My second(completely related to the topic) question is... What will I get?
Female - Hypo poss het Lavender & Anery.
Male - Butter Unknown(if any) het's.

I got told by someone at a reptile shop near me that if they breed I will definitely get Normals(I already knew that), Caramel's, Snows(Where from?!), Amels, Butter's and if my female IS het for Lavender and Anery then I'd get both them too... Now I'm pretty sure this is wrong and I have no idea where Snow came from!

Someone please enlighten me XD

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
1.0 Caramel Stripe het Amel - Vladimir.
0.1 Normal het Amel, Caramel, Hypo - Amara.
0.1 Masque het Amel, Anery, Charcoal, Diffused, Hypo, Lavender, Stripe - Aurelia.
1.0 Masque Anery het Amel, Charcoal, Diffused, Hypo, lavender, Stripe - Orion.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
1.0 Yellow Rat Snake - Leviathan(Levi)
Western Hognoses
1.0 Normal 50% poss het Frosted(Dutch Hypo, Caramel) - Thorne.
0.1 Frosted - Rose.
1.0 Anaconda het Snow(Amel, Anery) - Titan.
0.1 Normal het Snow(Amel, Anery) - Nyx.
R.I.P Pandora & Sakana, entwined in my heart forever my darlings.

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2013 :  14:28:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if breeding is successful the female will lay in about 4 weeks.

Offspring would expect all normals het hypo amel caramel poss het lavender anery

Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2013 :  15:21:28  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

if breeding is successful the female will lay in about 4 weeks.

Offspring would expect all normals het hypo amel caramel poss het lavender anery

I'm guessing it was not successful then
That's what I thought I'd get... I still want to know where they got Snow from! And I forgot to add Hypo into the list of ones I would apparently of gotten as they said Hypo too.

Yeah, I was expecting the offspring to all be;
Normal het Hypo, Amel, Caramel poss het Lavender & Anery.
Unless obviously the male miraculously has a matching het to the female. Or if the females father was het amel or caramel or watever cause then I'd expect possibly a few Amels or Caramels too due to Cereus being Butter

Thanks for clearing it up Gmac!

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
0.1 Masque het Amel, Anery, Charcoal, Diffused, Hypo, Lavender, Stripe - Aurelia.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
Western Hognoses
0.1 Frosted - Rose.
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2013 :  15:36:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if your females father was het amel or caramel there would only be a 50% chance your female carried those hets.
you never know your butter could be carrying hets. Does seem strange they locked 6 times and nothing came of it, doesn't mean it will not happen in the future though. Your female could also be retaining sperm for whatever reason and lay in the future.

Edited by - kev 5 on 15/01/2013 15:36:43
Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2013 :  15:54:37  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I know, that's what I thought but I did wonder as I've read females go off their food before they lay and she's still eating like a pig. She has been a little grumpy but I've found that's only when she's due either a feed or a shed lol. Or if you pick Cereus up without picking her up... Then she get's the hump on with you lol. That's why I'm doubtful that she's Het for Lav and Anery because it was only her mother that she would have got them off as far as I'm aware. Though I'm not a fan of the breeder as he didn't own the father, he sent the mother off for breeding and she produced Sakana so the father had to be at least het for Hypo right?
I also doubt the mother was a Lavender... I went round with my uncle once and saw the mother who was apparently a "Lavender" yet looked more like a Dilute Anery.

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
Western Hognoses
0.1 Frosted - Rose.

Edited by - AcidicAngel on 15/01/2013 15:58:17
Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2013 :  17:37:01  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thing is with lavenders is that the males tend to be more colourful than the females, and with the dilute gene being so much rarer than lavender, the female was probably lavender. Dilute anerys do look the same as 'poorer' quality lavenders.

Also, if the lavender was the mother of your hypo, she would be het lavender, and not just a ph. Or maybe the mother snake was a moonstone (anery lavender)?

http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/species/elaphe_guttata/anery_lavender/?sid=

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2013 :  20:31:59  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dancross0

Thing is with lavenders is that the males tend to be more colourful than the females, and with the dilute gene being so much rarer than lavender, the female was probably lavender. Dilute anerys do look the same as 'poorer' quality lavenders.

Also, if the lavender was the mother of your hypo, she would be het lavender, and not just a ph. Or maybe the mother snake was a moonstone (anery lavender)?

http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/species/elaphe_guttata/anery_lavender/?sid=

That's the thing, I'm not sure though because she was blue not lavender... She was literally a baby blue sort of colour(very pale baby blue but blue) so I didn't think she was Lavender... However, the "Mother" of Sakana being the "Lavender" doesn't add up. Sakana is CB06, this "Lavender" was CB05...

Edit: I'm just looking and Lavender Caramel looks almost identical to the "mother"... Does that mean that Sakana may carry Lavender, Caramel and Anery? "mother" was het Anery and Hypo which is how Sakana was made lol.

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
Western Hognoses
0.1 Frosted - Rose.

Edited by - AcidicAngel on 15/01/2013 20:44:32
Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2013 :  20:43:30  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My lavender girl is a bit baby blue in the base colour, but then again, she is only 7 months old...

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2013 :  20:47:35  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
See edited post lol, your post wasn't there when I edited XD

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
Western Hognoses
0.1 Frosted - Rose.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000