New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  12:36:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can you tell hets from belly scales? looking at Colas belly lately and it seems different from other normals. Here are a few belly shots.
Belly shots with brown in them.

near the tail gets more muddier brown.

thanks all.

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  12:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also if you want to see where she got stuck for an hour this morning, I am putting some pics on the pics section. Was not fun.
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  12:49:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's normal for a normal lol both of mine had this x

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  14:26:17  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As above. As the snake gets older, there will more of the red bleeding onto the ventral.

Plisskens' belly.

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

Isoldael
Yearling

Netherlands
999 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  14:50:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My normal (jake) has this and he's het for amel. I've seen it in many, many normals though so I doubt it's an actual marker.

1.0 anery stripe (Nash)
1.0 hypo pewter (Loki)
1.0 bloodred het amel, charcoal, hypo, stripe 50% phet anery, lavender (Kasumi)
0.1 grey background normal het amel (Saphira)
0.1 tessera het amel, anery, stripe (Lilith)
0.1 amel (Aurora)
0.1 hypo bloodred het anery, charcoal, stripe 50% phet amel, lavender (Mara)
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  17:42:03  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
theres no such thing as 'het markers' for recessive morphs. If a morph in het form alters the look of the snake in any way then it becomes codominant.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  00:02:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks normal for a normal My new normal female has quite a lot of belly checkers which have a little bit of black but some browny colours in them too, that's also quite normal I think.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

Isoldael
Yearling

Netherlands
999 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  13:30:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eeji, it's not the gene itself that has to modify anything. If, say, the gene for amel would have a high prevalence in snakes that have another gene that causes orange belly checkers, that could make the orange belly checkers a het marker for amel even if the amel gene itself doesn't cause that. It wouldn't have to be co-dominant for that. That being said, I don't think much of that has been proven for corns, but it's definitely not impossible :)

1.0 anery stripe (Nash)
1.0 hypo pewter (Loki)
0.1 amel (Aurora)
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  21:45:30  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if in your example its another gene that causes the belly chequer colour then it cannot be a marker for another gene unless they are somehow linked (that bit is beyond my knowledge).

A clear line through belly chequers used to be thought as a marker for diffused (which would make it codominant) but has since been identified and isolated into non diffused corns. This is now known as Masque which is a dominant trait which is why it was still appearing in het diffused animals. Because it has been separated from diffused, that is now a definite recessive with no markers.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Isoldael
Yearling

Netherlands
999 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  22:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
-nods- Like in my example, there are genes that have a high prevalence with certain other genes (at least in other species), which is basically what het markers are to begin with. Like you said, if it was the gene itself producing a changed look, it would at the very least be co-dominant. So, IF there are any het markers for corns, it would be with related genes. The problem with these markers is that they are barely ever 100% accurate - some animals might display the trait that is a het marker without being het. So, at best, a het marker would give you an increased chance of the het and thus a better idea of what to breed your snake with :)

1.0 anery stripe (Nash)
1.0 hypo pewter (Loki)
0.1 amel (Aurora)

Edited by - Isoldael on 10/12/2012 22:08:46
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2012 :  23:36:23  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There was talk of a study to map the full cornsnake genome but news of any progress (or even a start) has dried up. Something like that would answer an awful lot of questions :)

Go to Top of Page

Isoldael
Yearling

Netherlands
999 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2012 :  18:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish I had the funding/knowledge/time to research this. I absolutely love genetics. Either way, such "linked" genes have already been found for other species, though not to prove hets in particular. I'd very much love it if they existed for corns though :)

1.0 anery stripe (Nash)
1.0 hypo pewter (Loki)
0.1 amel (Aurora)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000