New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mags53
Egg

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  11:24:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've posted this from another thread. Having read stuff about how you should introduce a new snake to your household I need to make sure that I don't cause problems. I've recently got my first snakes and with both handled them and fed them within 48 hours. Having read that you need to leave all of this for around 7 days I'm now thinking that I need to be more careful with my next snake ;o)) it seems that I've been lucky. My questions aren't about temps, I'd already got the temps, it was the length of time you need to leave it before handling or feeding a new snake. What are the issues that can be caused? Is there a 'sticky' that I've missed (seem to spend hours on here reading everything!).
Thanks in advance.

Mags
0.1.0 Kitty (CB12 Charcoal)- MIA since July, still hoping
0.1.0 Fizz (CB12 Carolina)
1.0.0 Sid (CB14 Miami)
1.0.0 Darcy (Gordon Setter)
1.0.0 Callan (Irish Setter)
3.0.0 Jess, Jagger & Tigger (Cats)

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  11:30:35  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Don't think there's a sticky.
Problems that can be caused, little chap/chapette can get nervous and bitey, could go off their food or regurge it if recently fed. regurges mess up there tummy, then you have to leave them for even longer!

Hope this help x

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  11:50:41  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A week of no handling and no feeding is normally suggested to let them get settled in their new environment. It can be stressful them being moved, put into a new enclosure and having new sights and smells around them so a week of only changing water is suggested to let them get accustomed to this. It is not a rule and bad things will not happen if people don't do it as lots of people will handle and feed very soon after acquiring a new snake (as I did with my 1st but I always wait a week now). It is just a suggestion to give them the best start they can get.
The only thing that should be adhered to is not handling for at least 48 hours after a feed.

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  11:56:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
7 days with steady temps and no handling is the guideline. Contact can over stress the snake especially if its in a new enclosure. But I am all for lifting the hide to check on them, it the snake is hostile them leave be and feed after seven days.

If you have other snakes it is good practice to quarantine for three months in a separate room to any other reptiles but I think most people quarantine for a month.

Short handling is advised 48hrs after first feed gradually increase. Hatchies can be flighty.

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

Mags53
Egg

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  11:59:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Scaly. I got both of mine from the breeder so knew when they'd been fed and that they were good for handling, I suppose that's why I got away with it. I shall bear all of this in mind next time. x

Mags
1.0.0 Sid (CB14 Miami)
Go to Top of Page

Mags53
Egg

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  12:03:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Georgina. I shall certainly be aware of the quarantine issue. This is all more fraught than getting a new puppy!!

Mags
1.0.0 Sid (CB14 Miami)
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  12:10:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
every snake I get here is fed the same day, or at least offered the same day (none have refused yet, nor have i had a regurge). The snake is also given a proper look over to make sure everything is ok with it, i will not wait a week to see if there are any visual health issues thats not fair on the snake.

once that part is over and done with I just leave the snake to get used to its surroundings.

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  12:32:50  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I check to make sure there are no visible signs of issues before I buy and feed after the week of no handling.
I use the old sock trick with every new snake and I do lift the hide just to make sure all is ok but I don't touch.
Other than the normal water changes and substrate checks I leave the snake alone to settle.
As Georgina pointed out I keep any new snake in a seperate room for a couple of months just to rule out any health problems that may crop up.
Other than one little guy, who I knew could be a difficult feeder, I've never had any problems.
I would rather take the cautious route even if the no handling seems such a long time!!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Mumhols
Hatchling

United Kingdom
110 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  12:49:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I got peaches on Wednesday and got her out purposely twice, once to weigh her (for my records) and once to put her in tub for feed on friday (48hours ago) The other times I have held her is when I have gone to check temp or change water and she has crawled onto my hands to have a nose about. Of course I wasn't going to put her away from me, I want her to get used to me and To want to be handled. Have left alone totally since feed and she hasn't had a regurge so far... Fingers crossed she is settling in and digesting nicely I think a or depends on the snake's temperament, dispisition and how much they have been handled Mehta they have been used to before...

Holly

0.1.0 corn snake (creamsicle I think)-Peaches
0.01- bearded dragon- Ted
1.0.0 bunny- Biscuit
1.1.0 budgies- Rio and Daisy
3.2.0 children- Josh, Cohen, Kiefer, Bella and Elissa
1.0.0 hubby- Si

Love my guys loads
Go to Top of Page

Mags53
Egg

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  12:50:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone. I suppose the sock trick will be the route, then the snake is getting used to me, getting used to me looking into his home but isn't getting any negative problems. Will bear all of this in mind. What's a week out of 20 years!! ;o)

Mags
1.0.0 Sid (CB14 Miami)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: